Constipation

Options
I spent the morning in t he hospital where they did abdominal xrays and found the bowels are completely blocked from beginning to end. They are wondering if it is because there is not enough fat in my diet. They told me the bowels need fat in order to work-like butter, salad oil, etc. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem? What did you do for relief?? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• makemetinyplz
    Options
    take laxitives?
  • Krae79
    Krae79 Posts: 49
    Options
    It's crazy , but since I started eating better, I have not been as "regular". I have added Fiber One bars to my daily diet and it seems to be helping.
  • bpennington0002
    Options
    You need a stool softener or an enema. Try adding healthy oils to your diet, add some EVOO to your food. Good luck!
  • katround
    katround Posts: 5
    Options
    Coffee helps !!!
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I spent the morning in t he hospital where they did abdominal xrays and found the bowels are completely blocked from beginning to end. They are wondering if it is because there is not enough fat in my diet. They told me the bowels need fat in order to work-like butter, salad oil, etc. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem? What did you do for relief?? Thanks for your help.

Yes! Your body NEEDS fat, believe it or not. Good fats...fish & nuts have good fat. In fact, almonds are a GREAT source and are tasty.

Edit:
    However, I don't know if this helps with the constipation, I just know our body needs fat.
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse, and I would say regular fitness, fruit intake (including prunes), high fiber foods, fat (try to keep it low but still needs to be in your diet), you can take laxatives but remember that they can cause depenancy so don't use for long!
    I have tried using a cereal called "holy crap" you can find it at most health food stores and it is made or organic chia, hulled hemp hearts and buckwheat, also very good for your bowels.

Give it a try and let me know if you want any more help!!
    This can be a very serious problem and if you don't want a complete bowel obstruction (which you need surgery to repair) get on top of it quick
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Eat high fiber food, such as F-Factor cereals or bars. My nutritionist told me told me that not enough fat will also cause your gallbladder to fail.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It is true that if you do not have enough fat in your diet, you will get sick. Of course, you want to have the "good" fats (olive oil for example) but you probably need to increase that in your diet.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    YES! I have had this problem before on a high fiber, low fat diet. The bulked up fiber needs fat to move it through your system. Start adding some good fats to your diet. I make sure I get 2 teaspoons of oil a day and eat two avocados a week. They are high in fat, but half a small one or a quarter of a medium one isn't that calorie dense.

I STILL have problems sometimes, so I do take Mirlax about 3 times a week. My former nutritionist says it is perfectly safe even to take daily. It's not a laxative, but a softener. I mix it in Sugar-Free grape Kool-aid.

Good luck! I know it's miserable!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yes -- I have heard that you need fat to be "regular."

Focus on increasing your healthy fats (unsaturated) like olive oil, fatty fish like salmon, and nuts. For some reason, almonds always seem to make me more regular -- lots of fiber and unsaturated fat! And definitely talk to your doctor, since your issue is extreme.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    And drink plenty of water. Your bowels need that too.
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Coffee helps !!!

If I go more than 3 days without a movement, I get a large Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's the only one that does it for me. But it has to be a day without a whole lot of meetings at work, as it really does the trick, all morning. LOL

Since starting MFP, I too have had the issues with irregularity.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I try to add a dash of olive oil whenever I'm cooking a protein. It makes steak and chicken taste yummy, AND helps my digestion.

Stay away from laxatives.... they won't help in the long run.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I find drinking a cup of green tea in the morning works
  • NoMoreSickandTired
    Options
    Make veggies your new best-friend!
  • Pszi
    Pszi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Generally my personal experience is that dehydration has a lot to do with constipation, as it helps to "keep things flowing"
    Try to drink a lot of water and if you don't want to take laxative, it is good to eat things which is rich in fiber, ground flax seeds with a tablespoon and at least 16 oz of water, same goes to psyllium husk both of them is natural "laxative" they swell in your intestines if they get enough water and help bowel movements. Just make sure you take it with a lot of water.
    Psyllium husk you can find in pills in the pharmacies everywhere if you don't want to take it as a spoonful of powder.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You can try Miralax, which is milder than a regular laxative, or something like Metamucil.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    It's crazy , but since I started eating better, I have not been as "regular". I have added Fiber One bars to my daily diet and it seems to be helping.

Fiber for the win for sure hon - yes when we eat a fatty diet it.. ugh... Lubes things up... With being more careful on what we eat - we need the increased fiber to help us out..
    I eat a lot of:
    Fiber supplement like "colon cleanse" that I get at GNC - but I take this about once a week or so now...
    Oatmeal daily
    Baby Carrots
    Ezekiel Bread
    Veggies

Occasionally I'll do a Fiber One bar or something, but usually the above handle it great for me
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Ezekiel Bread
    Veggies

Occasionally I'll do a Fiber One bar or something, but usually the above handle it great for me

I had ezekiel bread for the first time today. I missed bread. It made my day. It wasn't that bad either!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have tried using a cereal called "holy crap" you can find it at most health food stores and it is made or organic chia, hulled hemp hearts and buckwheat, also very good for your bowels.

TOO FUNNY! I'm still laughing out loud. I think I want to try it just because of the creative marketing.