Describe a "Fat Day" to someone who never has been fat

Options
I have days where I feel fat! You know the days...
You feel bloated and tight and heavy and grumpy, clumsey, irritable, depressed. You feel like you are stuck in a really bad fat suit all over. Even your face has more "gel" feeling.

I tried to explain to my 6'3" 165lb boyfriend what fat feels like and what a "fat day" is. I don't think I could come up with a good enough explanation to help him really grasp the feeling both physically and mentally/ emotionally.

How would you describe these things to someone like that?

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have days where I feel fat! You know the days...
    You feel bloated and tight and heavy and grumpy, clumsey, irritable, depressed. You feel like you are stuck in a really bad fat suit all over. Even your face has more "gel" feeling.

I tried to explain to my 6'3" 165lb boyfriend what fat feels like and what a "fat day" is. I don't think I could come up with a good enough explanation to help him really grasp the feeling both physically and mentally/ emotionally.

How would you describe these things to someone like that?
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can.
    If you try to explain anything to someone who doesn't have an experience base that includes it, there will be difficulty.
    If what you truly need from him is support, though, just tell him so. Hopefully he wants what will make you happy and will make you feel better - even if he doesn't know how it feels himself.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Feeling uncomfortable in your own skin, like trying to walk around in just a bath towel. You feel vulnerable.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can.
    If you try to explain anything to someone who doesn't have an experience base that includes it, there will be difficulty.
    If what you truly need from him is support, though, just tell him so. Hopefully he wants what will make you happy and will make you feel better - even if he doesn't know how it feels himself.

He is very supportive. I will cook be breakfast or lunch when I would skimp or skip them and figure out how to make it healthy and do all the math for me. He is very sweet. But he couldn't understand when I'm losing weight why I would feel fat one day and be okay the next. He doesn't understand why I need to modify Yoga moves because my thigh fat keeps me from executing the perfect "tree" pose or why at first I bent my knees a little to touch my toes. (lol you think him being 6'2" he could understand considering they are a LONG way down for him!)
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had that same issue with Dh (since I wasn't marjory overweight, but still overweight enough for it to be a problem with me). He only got the hint when I went from crying fits because I had nothing to wear when went out...to actually one night when I called a good friend and told her I was sick because I couldn't find anything I felt comfortable in.
  • nursewendy
    Options
    Have him wear his clothes a little too tight, maybe strap some ankle and wrist weights to get that water retention feeling. How about a hot water bottle strapped to his abdomen, and bubble wrap around all his extremities.

It really is hard to try and get someone who has never had a weight problem to understand how it feels.

W. [+]:o)
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think that all women have fat days even if they aren't over-weight. I have a friend who has like a runway models body, and she said she has days that she feels very bloated & can barely zip up her jeans without feeling like she is going to burst. We tend to retain water during certain hormonal fluctuations, & I just don't think this happens with men. I think it is just part of being a woman, and no man will ever understand.