Diet and Bruising

Options
nsdodge
nsdodge Posts: 20 Member
Hey there,

So I have been on my fitness pal for a while and have lost a total of 25 pounds so far, but still have a ways to go. My problem is that I am getting really terrible bruises on my legs and arms. I heard this could be because of an iron or vitamin deficiency, so I have been taking a multivitamin with 100% of my daily iron, and also an Omega-3 supplement. I shop at the farmer's market a lot and try to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. I don't want to stop losing weight, but I am a little concerned about the bruises, especially on my legs. My work does involve physical labor so it makes sense if I get a bruise every once in a while, but I probably have 15 right now. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Replies

• runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hey there,

So I have been on my fitness pal for a while and have lost a total of 25 pounds so far, but still have a ways to go. My problem is that I am getting really terrible bruises on my legs and arms. I heard this could be because of an iron or vitamin deficiency, so I have been taking a multivitamin with 100% of my daily iron, and also an Omega-3 supplement. I shop at the farmer's market a lot and try to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. I don't want to stop losing weight, but I am a little concerned about the bruises, especially on my legs. My work does involve physical labor so it makes sense if I get a bruise every once in a while, but I probably have 15 right now. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Could be the omega-3 it is an anti-coagulant.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You should really see a doctor about this. Don't self-diagnose by taking vitamins and supplements. Excessive bruising could be due to diet but also other things.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't helpful, but iron deficiencies need more than the 100% you're getting in your multivitamins. If you find out that's what's causing the bruises (simple blood test), you'll have to get a high dose of iron to build it back up in your body.
  • cdupuie84
    cdupuie84 Posts: 20
    Options
    I had the same issue. I started eating spinach salad with pickled beets to up my iron and started drinking whey protein shakes with fresh bananas and strawberries. Good luck!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I bruise easily. My doc says it's just the way I am. My "lucky" genetics I guess. Supposedly, fresh pineapple is anti-inflammatory and helps diminish bruising. I have no idea how much you are supposed to eat to get the benefits - has too much sugar in it for me to find out.

But as others suggested - go talk to your doc, there are many different things that can cause easily bruising.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Iron deficiency doesn't cause bruising. Excessive bruising is not normal and should not be related to the weight loss diet. Advise see your doctor as the list of possibilities is too numerous to list. some serious, some not but you need blood tests to check platelet count and how your blood clots etc, a careful review of all your medications and supplements and other testing as indicated.
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    Dr. Oz recently discussed bruises on his show. I can't find the more recent clip. But here is some info on bruising anyway -

Here is one video from his site:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/bruise-basics

Here is another one video:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/how-healthy-are-you-unexplained-bruises

Here is additional info on bruising and causes:
    http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/bruises-and-blood-spots-under-the-skin-topic-overview

Hope this helps!!
    Erika