Splenda vs. Sugar

Options
Is it really better to use Splenda instead of regular sugar? Isn't splenda similar to Equal and Sweet & Low? I thought those cause cancer?!? Let me know your thoughts.

Replies

• mkeenan
    mkeenan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is it really better to use Splenda instead of regular sugar? Isn't splenda similar to Equal and Sweet & Low? I thought those cause cancer?!? Let me know your thoughts.
  • JoyceDoerr
    Options
    I used to be real bad about using a lot of sugar in my coffee. I could only drink a cup or 2 before becoming nervous and jittery from all the sugar. I could not stomach the other sweeteners. Not necessarily because of the taste, but the aftertaste. Splenda does not have a nasty aftertaste like Equal or Sweet & Low. I have not heard of any bad effects of splenda, and I hope there aren't any because I use it quite a bit now.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi. I use Splenda all the time. Because it is from sugar, it is considered a derivative. It is not an artificial sweetner (equal, sweet and low, sugar twin, etc). It doesn't have the harmful side effects. Here is what it says on the package:
    Calories - 0
    Fat - 0
    Carbs - 1g
    Protein - 0
    Ingredients: Dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose

Hope that helps you. One more thing - if you put it in coffee, sometimes it can get foamy around the edges of the mug. Add it to the mug prior to adding the liquid.
    :happy:
    Charlene
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Splenda has side effects that sugar doesn't, mainly that they are finding that long time habitual users of splenda are starting to experience joint issues.

Natural is always best, splenda is still chemically altered and your body works best with natural foods.

To keep it natural you may just have to wean yourself off of how much sugar you are currently taking in, it is simple to do and then you don't have to worry about any of the crap that comes with sugar replacements.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The only thing about fake sugars are the fact that they are a chimical. You do not even WANT to know what made the scientist come up with fake sugar in the first place. :sick:
    I will not go into that.
    I use fake sugar. I have to because I am alergic to real sugar. O.K. what they call real sugar today.
    Refined sugars today are refined useing different chemicals then when I was a kid. The chemicals that they use now are more like bleach. Yummy bleach!
    (I also heard somewhere that the chemicals that they use to refine it also makes people crave more of it. I do not know if this is true or not, But if it was it would explain a lot!)
    Real surgar gives me a headach.
    So in order to satisfy my sweet tooth without needing to go into the hospital because my head is exploding, I use fake sugar.
    Splenda is nicer for me because it does not have the huge after taste that the pink and blue stuff do.
    My mom said something about a new sugar that is make with milk, But I have no idea what it is called, or if it effects people who are alergic to milk or not.
    I do think that Fake or so called real sugar is all a matter of taste which you like better.
    --Diann...
    Added fact:
    The normal American eats or drinks the eqivelent (pardon spelling) to a bag and a 1/2 of sugar each year. that is about a pound and a 1/2 of sugar!! Go to the pantry and pull out a one pound bag of sugar and look at it. Feel how much it weighs. and think about that for a moment. Scared yet?:frown:
  • mkeenan
    mkeenan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am aiming for a more natural/whole diet. I want to cut as much sugar and salt out of it as I can. We'll see what happens!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Check out this site. Too long to post.
    www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.aspx
  • miche1e
    miche1e Posts: 11
    Options
    splenda is derived from sugar and altered to where your body does not process it which is why there is 0 nutritional content.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who is a professor of Chemistry at the UofO. He and I have discussed splenda in depth because being diabetic I use it a lot. He actually did some experiments with splenda and found zero health related issues from a chemist's standpoint (for instance the amount of chlorine that might actually be absorbed...I was his guinea pig). I have also done my own research both online and off and found the same thing (I have a degree in Nutritional Science). For me it is a godsend. I know there are people out there who would only go the "natural" route, but I have tried Stevia which tastes terrible to me, and it has its own issues as well. With all due respect to those folks who can and do live with that kind of discipline, I think if you balance the good (i.e., better blood sugar control, lower weight, etc.) with the potential for possible future problems it's a no-brainer. You'll still be improving your overall health (healthier heart, joints, cholesterol etc.) and in the long run that should be our goal.
    Cowboy