almond milk

Options
cnada
cnada Posts: 14 Member
Is almond milk better for you than regular 2% milk?? Is it like soy milk?

I got the Blue Diamond Almond Milk in Vanilla flavor and it tastes pretty good, and is only 90 calories. I thought it would be good when I eat cereal in the morning sometimes.

Replies

• princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like Almond milk a lot. For me, I like to get the unsweetened vanilla when I can find it... It's only like 40 cals and no sugar. When I eat it with cereal it tastes really good, because the cereal is already sweet... But that's just me. I also use the Chocolate unsweetened kind from Blue Diamond in my protein shakes.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    no it is not like soy milk, soy has become controversal as there are reports that it mimicks estrogen in the body. Almond milk has healthy fats in it coming from the almonds
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    Love almond milk. Not sure if it's healthier but sometimes I think why do people drink cow's milk...Anyway, I started with the vanilla and moved to unsweetened. It's an adjustment to taste (like moving to plain yogurt) but I just didn't want the sugar. 90 cals is pretty good though.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk - I like Blue Diamond Original - 60 calories :flowerforyou:
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    I LOVEEEE Silk Light (original flavor)!

Per cup:
    70 cals
    1.5 g fat
    0 cholesterol
    6 carbs
    1 g fiber
    4 g sugar
    6 g protein
    (& just as much calcium as milk!!!!)
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It has fewer calories than skim milk and I think it tastes way better. For me, the only negative is that it costs about twice as much. :(
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    If you like to watch your sugar intake then Almond Milk is great! I like the unsweetened vanilla and unsweetened original, 40 calories for 1 cup. Good on cereal...
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i luv the chocolate flavor almond milk.. yummm
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Love the unsweetened chocolate and the vanilla. I have tried to substitute it for cream in my morning coffee but haven't quite made the transistion.
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's better then regular milk, but I love it. I do believe it's supposed to better then soy milk though. Something about the amount of sugar in Almond milk being less than that to all other milk alternatives including soy milk. In addition, almond milk does have less calories, cholesterol and saturated fats then regular milk.

I use the Almond Milk plain flavor. It's about 60 calories per 8oz.. I tell everyone to try Almond milk because I like it so much. I think that in terms of taste, almond milk is more nutty where as soy milk has more of a bean taste. I personally prefer almond milk to soy and switched from soy after having almond milk.

Hope that helps!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like Almond milk a lot. For me, I like to get the unsweetened vanilla when I can find it... It's only like 40 cals and no sugar. When I eat it with cereal it tastes really good, because the cereal is already sweet... But that's just me. I also use the Chocolate unsweetened kind from Blue Diamond in my protein shakes.
    AGREE!! The chocolate flavor and protein shake combo is unbelieveable.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened is only 35 cals a cup... almond breeze only 40 - it sounds like you're looking at the calories.
    Personally I don't like any of them just to drink but they are amazing in protein shakes!
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love the flavor of almond milk and it definitely has less calories. I was sad when my daughter got over her cow's milk reacftion and no longer required the almond or soy milk...I bought her whichever was cheapest as they are definitely more expensive but love the almond milk on my cereal; I always bought the Blue Diamond original as I didn't want her to think milk should taste like vanilla! I have to go grocery shopping in the next day or two and will be buying some almond milk for my cereal in the morings and as an occasional treat for me.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Almonds are supposed to be a "perfect" food