Raw Food Diet

Options
I'm considering incorporating a raw food day (or two) into my diet. I bought a book about it, but I am wondering if anybody is doing it now or has done it in the past. I welcome your comments, thanks! :wink:

Replies

• TooFitToQuit
    Options
    I tried a raw diet for a week. I was so bloated from the raw veggies, and I really missed cooking! Def not for me, but to each her own!
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh, good point. I didn't think about that. Maybe I will start out with one raw meal, then move on from there. Thanks for the heads up!
  • happygirll
    Options
    id love to try that , if you have any tips let me know , i just joined today
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager I did 100% raw for a year and a half. I felt great at first, but ended up losing way too much weight (got down to 87 lbs before gaining weight back by loading up on fats like avocado and nuts), completely ruined my digestion, and also developed problems with enamel decay on my teeth :(

On the other side, though, my older sister has been about 99% - 100% raw for the past 10 or so years, and she is very very healthy! She even has a two year old son who is also robustly healthy. She currently eats a lot of raw superfoods (like spirulina, pollens, wild foraged foods...), fruits, veggies, nuts, and some raw dairy occasionally.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    All I can say is take REALLY good care of your teeth. A lot of tooth problems can be caused by a raw diet, some of which I'm currently experiencing, and I eat only about 50% raw, if that.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    use a digestive enzyme to help your body break down those foods
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What happens to your teeth! I'm surprised by this little side effect! Also wondering what kind of digestive enzyme you reccomend. Definitely gonna start out slow.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    I would look into these to use as digestive enzymes: Digest Gold by Enzymedica, chewable papya enzyme by American Health technologies, Multi Enzyme from Vitamin Shoppe
  • erinkeely4
    Options
    Unless you're a vegetarian, I would suggest supplimenting your diet with bone broths and dairy. And don't eat too much fruit!

A lot of people give different reasons for why they think this tooth decay is happening. So far I haven't seen any scientific studies about it, so I have little faith in most of the opinions I hear. But I think the above things will help tremendously.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    What happens to your teeth! I'm surprised by this little side effect! Also wondering what kind of digestive enzyme you reccomend. Definitely gonna start out slow.

Raw fruits and veggies tend to be more acidic, so there's higher potential for enamel loss and cavities.
  • jknowswhatsup
    Options
    we did a raw diet for a couple of months. It was good for awhile, but no matter what supplements and enzymes we took, we couldn't recover physically from the lack of complete nutrition. I think it is GOOD to add raw foods into your diet, but to go completely raw might become a bit overwhelming on your body. I know a lot of people promote this, but if you look closely at them, they always look a little sick.
  • shevanity
    shevanity Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A great website with information on raw food is Matt Monarch's www.therawfoodworld.com. It has a wealth of information. I eat pretty organic probably about 70/30. I am physically active (run about six days a week) and try to stick to plant base proteins.
  • erinkeely4
    Options
    A great website with information on raw food is Matt Monarch's www.therawfoodworld.com. It has a wealth of information. I eat pretty organic probably about 70/30. I am physically active (run about six days a week) and try to stick to plant base proteins.

I love those people and that site! I buy MSM lotions and "sunscreen" from them.