Cardio, When is it good to take a day off?

Options
Edit: whoops, I thought i had exercise select. :-/ Ignore this thread, moving it to exercise.
(moved it here,http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/297574-should-i-be-taking-days-off-from-cardio though I got all the nice replies in this thread. lol )

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I am a full believer that you should give rest time too - I think what you've got listed is great - especially if you can get to the point of increasing the time (say 45 minutes to an hour) and intensity!

also - look up "body resistance" training - you don't need weights to do some strength and core routines and it will help SOOO much :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio 5 or 6 days a week. I switch up the type though. So I run 3 days and I do the elliptical 2 days. I strength train on the elliptical days and one other day (which one depends on my schedule).

Start strength training! Really it's such a great thing and will really help drop inches, tone, and lean you up! I wish I had started waaaay sooner.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do my elliptical at least 6 days a week and burn about 500 calories each time now. I take Sundays off. Personally, I think you can do cardio everyday without hurting yourself.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the cardio. Running can be hard on your body and make you very sore so you should alternate days to give your legs at least a day's rest. For other things, you should be fine. If you feel like you should rest, go ahead. There's no harm in that. I like to have a rest day at least once a week no matter what I'm doing. It's nice to just relax and clear my head...and maybe try a different exercise if I absolutely can't stay away from it.
  • glorya48
    glorya48 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have learned not to violate the principal of rest. Your body needs to recover. Try to do at least 5 days on and two days off. It will keep your body guessing . By doing this it allows your body to build a natural resistance to a flat rythmic mode so your metabolism has no other choice but to keep moving. . This is a great strategy that athletes in "weight loss training' for special events use and it works. I have used this strategy for the last 2 weeks and I have lost 3 lbs. Taking 1 day off and switching it up a bit to rebounding on the trampoline or jump ing rope or something. is great also. I also further agree that strength training is very good for burning muscle tone. I have been doing curves circuit training for 2 weeks also. Down 1 pant size. I love it!:wink: