Is it bad to go over the fat?

amer90
amer90 Posts: 15
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
This is the second time this week I've done it.
How bad is it?

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Well, its not great, but it's not a major calamity either if it doesn't happen frequently. Try to add more fruits and veggies to your diet, and low fat proteins and whole grains - the more healthy food you eat, the harder it is to go over on fats. And try to make sure your fats are coming from healthy sources, like olive oil, avacados, nuts, etc... But the amounts MFP gives are guidelines to shoot for, and you won't die if you don't hit those totals precisely every day. If you find you are frequently going over on fats, you need to look at your diet because you probably not eating the right balance, or not eating healthy foods (ie, eating out or eating junk), even if you are staying under calories.
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    I can't get enough fat in my diet. what are low cal high fat foods?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    I can't get enough fat in my diet. what are low cal high fat foods?

I feel the same way! I'm never even close to my fat allowance for the day. 1200 calories per day doesn't give you much room for fat. Not if you want to be satisfied, that is.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Yes and no. If you go over the fat because you ate bad foods then yes it's bad. If you went over on fats because you ate good fats (eggs, meats, nuts, etc) then no it isn't bad. It really depends on where the fat is coming from.
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    A good fruit high in fat is avocado. I think a serving has about 20g of fat.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    You need fat in your diet. It actually helps "move things along" if you know what I mean. So it might actually be good to have a few days over. Just try to keep them healthy fats!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    I am typically over on fats, but mostly due to eggs, nuts, meats, and olive oil. I have started to track saturated fats (which are the bad kind), and I make sure that I am under on those.
  • Richard170
    Richard170 Posts: 37
    I am "over" on fat all the time, by design. I try to get at least 30% of my calories from healthy fats while strictly limiting saturated fats and trans fats. Sources of good fats include olives, avocados, nuts, chia and flax seeds and fish.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    It totally depends on your macro ratios. Mine is 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. You can customize your ratios to your liking.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I do 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 35% fats. Are you within your calorie limit? Are your getting your micros in? How you feel? Are you gaining or losing?

If you are getting results and you are getting proper nutrition, you are probably okay. Everyone has different macros. Fool around with it and see what works for you.
  • Almonds, some protein bars, certain meats and cheeses, in fact many lo cal dairy products, even low cal ice creams. You would be surprised where calories hide. Just think low cal protein and you will find fats.
This discussion has been closed.