Trouble saying no to baaaaad food~!

Options
I feel like im the only one like this...It usually only happens on weekends, but i have trouble saying no to bad food and drinks, like vodka drinks, usually i get one night where i can go out and have drinks with friends...well i ALWAYS fail my diet on weekends, i always eat something bad, and when i do i just keep going. I swear my brain just shuts off and i dont even think!!! I have to stop this because i always screw up my diets, beat my self up about it, and then just not lose weight...anyone else have had these problems>? and how did you overcome this...like i need this to be the last time i screw up and actually lose weight:(

another question, does anyone know or have done a diet where you eat some sort os shake for breakfast n dinner, and eat chicken n veggies (or something healthy) for lunch...does it work??

Replies

• Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the diet, although you could probably find one that does work, maybe slim fast?
    As far as the going out for drinks and losing control, that can happen. You can either plan on it, and cut calories during the day which probably isn't the best idea since you don't really want to drink on an empty stomach. Or what about eating all you are going to eat before you go out and just count for drinks?
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    I recommend not denying yourself all week then maybe you won't go hogwild on the weekends. I pretty much have anything I want day in and day out. Some days I don't do so well, some days I do great. With enough exercise, a moderate treat here and there won't sabotage your "diet". I recommend looking at this as a way of life. A way you're going to live for the rest of your life and not temporarily. If you can live with it daily, you'll be successful in the long run. Good luck!
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Mymuvee,

If there is one thing that all of us have in common, it is our struggle with eating the wrong foods. My weakness are those amber waves of grain, hops and yeast. I used to eat/drink and "break my diet" all the time, no matter what "plan" I put myself on.
    What I didn't know is that ALL diets will fail. Every last rule-loaded one of them. Because you are a unique person (with very pretty eyes, I would add), not just a number on a scale, you cannot deprive yourself of things you love forever.

I started having much better success when I stopped "dieting" and began to think of my body as a reflection of what I eat and how I treat it. I would encourage you to try the same. Might I suggest the following:

1. Enjoy your indulgences in moderation: We only live once! So enjoy the things you like! But enjoy with moderation, it makes the treat a much savored moment, and not just "another Friday night". I still have a glass (or several) of beer once in a while. But now I know how many calories I am taking in, and being aware of that, I take them in less often, and really savor them more. And plus, giving into temptation is sometimes a necessary evil.

2. It's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle: "A shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and a sensible dinner" may have worked for Tommy Lasorda in the late '80's, Cabbage Soup may have been trendy in the early 90's, and Dr. Atkins told us Bacon was good and orange juice was not just a few years ago... All of these "diets" do just one thing: set you up for failure. Choosing to be healthier is a life-choice. It is something you do for yourself, and no book or Diet guru making the daytime television talk show circuit will be able to give you a magic formula that will work for you in the long run.

3. Forget the scale: You may not see improvements in large amounts unless you go on that "Loser" show (where they spend ALL DAY in the gym). But this is no reason to let despair grip you. YOU are the one in control here. You are choosing to improve yourself. The way your clothes fit, your health improving, and the confidence you gain as a result of it are the real rewards. What the scale says is incidental to this.

4. Failure is ALWAYS an option: That good ol' Mythbusters saying. Use the times you really fall off the ball to analyze the real reason WHY the failure occurred. Doing that will help you identify the things you need to change. For example: Recently, I ate an extra large pizza, a calzone, and 18 chicken wings...in ONE SITTING. I felt bad the next day, but thinking about what made me do it, I realized that I stepped in that pile because I had skipped breakfast, and also drank quite a bit. So my body craving fuel and lack of inhibition from the drinks opened me up to vulnerability. Now I know that there is a pitfall I can avoid easily, first by having a healthy breakfast, and curbing my drinking. .... It's NOT A FAILURE if you learn something from it that helps you.

My apologies if I seem long-winded or preachy, but your situation does strike close to home with me (and likely many others). But I do hope that you read this and and I hope it helps you. Above all else, I hope you realize that your life is not a diet book, and that you enjoy a great amount of success in achieving a healthier, happier you.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    You must believe me when I say, you are NOT the only person that has struggles. You can see a few others agree too - by the previous posters.

I really just want to give you some encouragement and tell you not to be too hard on yourself. If you slip up, you can't change that. All you can do is kind of remember how it made you feel to make a not-so-good choice, and then try harder the next time to make a better choice. You can.

I realized not too long ago, that I will always have the struggle. The thing is: with time it will get easier to identify the triggers and I'll be able to combat those temptations better.

All things are possible for those who believe. Seriously. You can make up your mind to make better choices, and you will.

I wish you well, MyMuvee.

*smiles*

Jean
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I really like what bigfatbino said. lots of wisdom there.

don't let a setback ruin everything you have accomplished. One mistake will not ruin your healthy eating lifestyle, falling back into old patterns will. So recommit right now to eating healthy and exercising and don't beat yourself up about it. Good luck!
  • jessib009
    jessib009 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you.. on weekends I end up drinking tons and usually bringing bar food home with me or making something! For me, I try my hardest to eat healthy all week and work out and then on the weekends I let myself indulge. You only live once and you really can't deprive yourself! Like someone said, its a lifestyle not a "diet". For drinking, I try to have drinks that are low cal like cherry vodka with diet coke and i'll try to have a low cal dinner like a lean cuisine, so if i do get food at night its not the end of the world.

I'm a strong believer of the 75 15 rule. Eat healthy 75% of the time and have fun the other 15%! However, I wouldn't recommend this advice to someone who needs to loose a large amount of weight for health reasons, ext.

Hope that helps! And at the end of the day, don't beat yourself up! Just try to be more active every day and the indulgences wont be as bad!
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We all struggle with the same issues. Weekends are the worst for me because all week I have a routine and do not have a lot of spare time. Weekends allow us more free time....to think and crave foods!

All of us will fall off at times but we have to get back up and move forward. I don't go out as often as I used to but if I want to have a couple of beers I count the calories ahead of time and have water or diet coke in between them.

Allow yourself the "bad" food because it is always going to be around but in moderation. If I know I am going to be eating a high calorie meal then I try to eat lighter that day to allow for the calories.

You may be talking about the protein shakes that some people do. Twice a day then one meal. I have tried the whey protein and skim milk but I cannot do it everyday. In my opinion, it might be okay for short term but definitely not long term because you will end up depriving yourself too much. Good luck to you!