I have a question?

Options
hey! i'm new here and i have a question. :smokin:
i'm 15 years old, 133lbs, 5'6 & female.
i did some research online and it said for adults, you need at least 1,200 calories to lose weight & keep your body from going into starvation mode.
what about teenagers? i'm not classed as an adult, so i wondered if it was any different? :huh:
i don't think i'm eating the amount i should be, but i don't know what that amount is! :sick:

thanks for your help!

Replies

• miss_numpty
    Options
    hey! i'm new here and i have a question. :smokin:
    i'm 15 years old, 133lbs, 5'6 & female.
    i did some research online and it said for adults, you need at least 1,200 calories to lose weight & keep your body from going into starvation mode.
    what about teenagers? i'm not classed as an adult, so i wondered if it was any different? :huh:
    i don't think i'm eating the amount i should be, but i don't know what that amount is! :sick:

thanks for your help!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't need to lose weight. You are only 15 & probably not done growing yet & certainly shouldn't be cutting calories that much! If you are concerned about it, try talking to your family doctor about healthy eating choices. :flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 (oh so many years ago) I was mis-proportioned. Some guy I knew came up to me and said "Hey, did you know you are a pirate's dream because you have a sunken chest?" Hardy-har-har. Anyway, my stomach stuck out past my chest. I had a bubble butt. And was extremely frustrated. My father looked at me and said "Sweetheart, you're already so pretty, but when you hit 16, you're going to be even more beautiful. By the time you're 18, you'll be gorgeous. By 21, you'll be drop-dead gorgeous". I don't know if that actually happened in any one else's eyes other than his, but my body did change significantly. I grew taller, which made my "baby fat" lengthen out. My chest never grew, but boy did my legs (my plus feature). My problem? I had the worst eating habits possible and it affected my body many years later.

So my advice, don't concentrate on what you see in the mirror today. Although I'm sure you're beautiful, it may take a few years before you can fully appreciate that statement. But if you are going to use this site with the permission of your parents and pediatrician, then use it to work at eating healthier so that when you're an old geezer like me (just kidding), you'll continue having your beautiful shape, figure, and mental strength that you've been building for the 15 plus years. You'll definitely be well ahead of the game.

:heart:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 (oh so many years ago) I was mis-proportioned. Some guy I knew came up to me and said "Hey, did you know you are a pirate's dream because you have a sunken chest?" Hardy-har-har. Anyway, my stomach stuck out past my chest. I had a bubble butt. And was extremely frustrated. My father looked at me and said "Sweetheart, you're already so pretty, but when you hit 16, you're going to be even more beautiful. By the time you're 18, you'll be gorgeous. By 21, you'll be drop-dead gorgeous". I don't know if that actually happened in any one else's eyes other than his, but my body did change significantly. I grew taller, which made my "baby fat" lengthen out. My chest never grew, but boy did my legs (my plus feature). My problem? I had the worst eating habits possible and it affected my body many years later.

So my advice, don't concentrate on what you see in the mirror today. Although I'm sure you're beautiful, it may take a few years before you can fully appreciate that statement. But if you are going to use this site with the permission of your parents and pediatrician, then use it to work at eating healthier so that when you're an old geezer like me (just kidding), you'll continue having your beautiful shape, figure, and mental strength that you've been building for the 15 plus years. You'll definitely be well ahead of the game.

:heart:

put much better than I could...:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    since you are here already did you know that according to the BMI, if you were an adult woman, you would be 1 pound under the perfect weight. You don't need to lose any weight. You are where we all want to be. You should get regular exercise and eat well balanced nutrious meals, watching fat and sugar intake. If you do that, your body will love you for it and you will love the results. The bonus part to adding some exercise to your daily existance, is it allows you to eat the treats without depriving yourself too much. You do still have some developing and growing to do, to restrict your calories now, would be hard on your growing body. Talk to your gym teacher or maybe a counsellor about setting up a healthy meal plan for yourself.

If you take care of your body now, it will love you for it when you reach my age. Sorry if I sounded like your mother, but that is exactly what I tell my daughter who is nine. I want her to grow up knowing how good it is to be healthy and well balanced and not afraid to eat a piece of cake because she has learned how to look after her body :)
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    You don't need to lose any. :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    HI, have you discussed this with your mom? I have a 21 year old daughter who told me her issues at 14-15 and we worked on them together.

Good luck sweety!:flowerforyou: