Reactions of Others

Options
Have you ever noticed or experienced totally different reactions of others to your weight loss? Ive lost 35 lbs and some people are finally starting to comment that they can tell Ive lost weight while others seem oblivious. Im not expecting others to have an over the top reaction, or to even say anything for that matter. But, it floors me when someone else will comment on my weight loss in front of others and then someone else will say "oh, you have lost weight?"......Really???? How can some people notice and others dont?

My family really says nothing about it and that is frustrating but I think there is an element of jealousy there...Im by far the smallest and healthiest of my immediate family. But you would think they would be supportive! My husband is my biggest fan and has always told me he is so proud of my hard work and results so far. Im doing this for me and I can tell the difference, especially as I look at pics from a year ago. Thank goodness for the support and encouragement from MFP to keep me motivated and moving forward!! Oh, and my husband too! :)

Replies

• kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I notice that too. While a lot of people do notice and say Wow you look great! Others don't even mention it...I bet it does have a lot to do w/ jealousy esp. w/ you being the smallest. Well congrats to you girl!! Keep it up and you will be at your goal weight in no time, and if they don't notice by then.....they must be blind!!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    if you are asking people that you are with every day and that see u everyday its hard to tell especially if u are smaller then them....but probably the people that dont see you often will see a difference....
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES! Glad I'm not the only one...this happened to me last year at my senior prom. I planned for my NYR to workout and get in shape, and then lose weight for my prom dress. Well, I achieved it and had random people commenting at prom. And then I had my best friend at the time, who didn't even say a word. I was pretty disappointed. But needless to say, I was still proud and I know as long as I can see it, it's fine! :)
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    Jealousy is an evil thing and it makes people act in weird ways! Some people just can't bring themselves to acknowledge another's successes - especially when it earns you positive attention to your physical appearance. Just know in your heart that you are doing the right thing and hopefully can inspire some people along the way, even if they don't say anything to your face!
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. Some people are very supportive and notice. Others never say a word. But I am down from a tight 18 to some 14s and can also tell. I think some people think it's rude to say anything. And I have to say I'm glad they didn't comment when I GAINED almost 40 lbs:noway: . My husband also is very supportive and I think it makes a big difference. Great job on your loss, you're doing wonderful :drinker:
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My mom has been up my *kitten* about my weight for the last 5 years maybe? So now that I am the same weight as I was then, with 35 lbs lost, she has been strange. I sent her a photo taken when I hit 30 lbs with a pair of pants I wore to my friends wedding along with a photo of that time frame, 4 years agoish. Her comment, "oh give me a break, those pants were huge on you"... HELLO.. if I can wear them without a freaking belt because the waist fit.. then YES.. I did fit into them. REALLY??

Some people just are morons. I do not care about what anyone else thinks now. I went out in public in some work out capris and a form fitting shirt... why? why not. I was not embarrassed if other people think I am fat, I am not as fat as I was! Heck, both were a little big too... hahahaha

As much as it can bother us, we just cannot let it and move forward! Good job! :D Keep it up!!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My family has been really really supportive!!!! Kids including - which is really nice!

I work in a male dominated workplace and I get told everyday how good I look (down 50 lbs!) - nice but - it's the same old me!!!! My personality hasn't changed at all!!! I was even propositioned by a married guy!!!! It bugs me that it's all in my appearance - not my personality!!!!! There are some people who haven't said anything - but it doesn't bother me at all! I KNOW I'm doing good!!!

My guy likes the smaller me!!! My ex has told me I've lost too much weight!!! Yeah! Lost like a 240 lbs gorilla a few years back! LOL!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Here is one take on it. I finally asked my nephew, who is a great kid, why he never said anything about my huge weight loss and he was embarassed. He said of course he had noticed and he thought it was great but didn't know how to say "you look great now" without implying I didn't before, which he thought would be rude. So not everyone is quiet out of not noticing or meaness, :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't notice much about other people until I really pay attention. For example, on Friday, one of my coworkers was talking about how he didn't have much plans for his birthday and how another coworker was helpful "with everything going on." Then, he mentioned that he "gets his daughter over the weekend", and it hit me. I finally looked at him, and REALLY looked. He lost a lot of weight, and his wedding ring was gone.

I had no idea that anything was different in his life until now. I hadn't talked to him about anything other than work stuff since the Christmas party, and I felt kind of bad that someone I respected had completely lost my attention for several months at a time.

I am finding that with my own weight loss journey, it simply has to not matter what anyone else thinks. I am doing this for myself, and no one else. Some people are noticing and supportive, while others try to be, but just end up annoying. And then we have the oblivious crowd. I also have the destructive crowd, who doesn't mean to be, but dang it, when I say I don't want to eat or only have one bite, I need everyone to respect that.

When I finally hit a significant amount of weight loss, I might freak out if some of the shallow people finally decide to pay attention to me when I look good, but it's nothing I haven't experienced before. I want to keep the supportive people close by, and ignore everyone else.
  • MrsSmith1112
    MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! A lot of those people may have noticed but didn't know if they should say anything. When it came up, they could just cover at that time. Many people are not comfortable bringng up someone else's weight.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. Some people are very supportive and notice. Others never say a word. But I am down from a tight 18 to some 14s and can also tell. I think some people think it's rude to say anything. And I have to say I'm glad they didn't comment when I GAINED almost 40 lbs:noway: . My husband also is very supportive and I think it makes a big difference. Great job on your loss, you're doing wonderful :drinker:

This is exactly what I was thinking -- some truly don't notice, and some don't quite no what to say. This is why I surround myself with MFP friends -- it's nice to have friends that are going through the same things that you are and can help you through the rough spots, and celebrate the successes!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I guess I am weird, it's one thing that I dread as my weight goes down. It embarrasses me a lot when people comment on my body and how I look, especially when they ask me how much I've lost. I really don't want to tell people that. I always wish they would just not say anything.

Congratulations, you're doing great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!