i dont understand

Options
okay so we've all heard about low carb diets and such, but i don't get how they make any sense. our bodies are made to process 3 kinds of things: fats, proteins and carbs. on a diet its obviously dumb to eat a lot of fats right? that leaves proteins and carbs if you cut out a lot of carbs (which actually include good veggies) you're only left with proteins. But for a diet high on proteins what would you eat? meat? thats always going to come high in fats, same as nuts!!! can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to eat a good balance of food rather than cut out one type of food completely... Also, you don't need to cut out fats completely as some fats are good for you (such as those found in nuts, fish, avocados etc)

=)
  • katieeweiss
    katieeweiss Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    First of all, low carb diets are not a good idea. And fats aren't all that bad - IF your eating healthy fats. Stay away from trans fats and don't eat too much saturated fat. Which brings me to protein - choose lean meats (less sat. fat) and eat cheese sparingly. Proteins are needed to rebuilt muscle after working out.

Balance is key; fad diets are not balanced.
  • rjp3399
    rjp3399 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have spent years trying to lose weight and tried probably most diets out there, and whilst the all achieve what they set out to, they are all short term weight loss options, some are better than others, others are easier to manage but at the end of the day the only sustainable weight loss is a balanced diet, with lots of determination and a lifestyle change, you can't just cut something out for a period of time and not have some sort of side effect from it, like wise if you over load on something.

Make changes which you can maintain and build on, it will make weight loss much easier, the more balanced your diet is the less bored you will get, a little bit of anything is not going to hurt you, I usually think what could I have instead and 9 times out of 10 I will take the healthier option, but hey I'm only human and I can have a treat once in a while :-)

Good luck with your choices.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    okay so we've all heard about low carb diets and such, but i don't get how they make any sense. our bodies are made to process 3 kinds of things: fats, proteins and carbs. on a diet its obviously dumb to eat a lot of fats right? that leaves proteins and carbs if you cut out a lot of carbs (which actually include good veggies) you're only left with proteins. But for a diet high on proteins what would you eat? meat? thats always going to come high in fats, same as nuts!!! can someone explain this to me?

I am a low carber. Let me ask you this, why is fat bad? Because someone told you it was and you believed it. You know how to increase your HDL(good cholesterol) ? eat more fat. No way around it. This lowers your bad cholesterol. Supposedly people with high cholesterol live the longest. What happens with heart disease is that “scaring” in the blood vessel does allow bad cholesterol to stick to it. The cholesterol isn’t the problem it’s the scaring. You know what causes scaring? Processed carbohydrates. I am sure you seen overweight people who have heart attacks and thin people who have heart attacks. If you’re going to have a heart attack you’re going to have one. There was a study when they grabbed a group of people, some thin and some overweight and monitored their diet for years. Both groups had about the same amount of heart attacks.

Now to answer your question about vegetables. You’re supposed to eat them on a low carb diet. People don’t fully understand low carb. The point of low carb is to get the weight off and then you slowly increase your carbohydrates(when you’re near your goal weight) until you stop losing weight. You find that special point of how many carbs you can eat without gaining weight or losing weight. Back in the cavemen days there was no processed carbs, they’re not natural for humans to eat. Mother nature knows what’s best for us and provided us with a diet for our health. We ignored that and made up our own foods and processed junk. What did we eat back then? A ton of meat and natural carbs, such as fruits and vegetables.

Think of all the "natural" protein, most of the time it comes with a lot of fat. That's what nature designed for us to eat. Fat is critical to many biochemical processes including brain function.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I always go over my protein and rarely go over my calories, fats, or carbs. My diary is public so feel free to take a look.
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I am a low carber. Let me ask you this, why is fat bad? Because someone told you it was and you believed it. You know how to increase your HDL(good cholesterol) ? eat more fat. No way around it. This lowers your bad cholesterol. Supposedly people with high cholesterol live the longest. What happens with heart disease is that “scaring” in the blood vessel does allow bad cholesterol to stick to it. The cholesterol isn’t the problem it’s the scaring. You know what causes scaring? Processed carbohydrates. I am sure you seen overweight people who have heart attacks and thin people who have heart attacks. If you’re going to have a heart attack you’re going to have one. There was a study when they grabbed a group of people, some thin and some overweight and monitored their diet for years. Both groups had about the same amount of heart attacks.

Now to answer your question about vegetables. You’re supposed to eat them on a low carb diet. People don’t fully understand low carb. The point of low carb is to get the weight off and then you slowly increase your carbohydrates(when you’re near your goal weight) until you stop losing weight. You find that special point of how many carbs you can eat without gaining weight or losing weight. Back in the cavemen days there was no processed carbs, they’re not natural for humans to eat. Mother nature knows what’s best for us and provided us with a diet for our health. We ignored that and made up our own foods and processed junk. What did we eat back then? A ton of meat and natural carbs, such as fruits and vegetables.

Think of all the "natural" protein, most of the time it comes with a lot of fat. That's what nature designed for us to eat. Fat is critical to many biochemical processes including brain function.

ohhh so on low carb diets people stay away from PROCESSED carbs? such as pasta and bread??? that makes a lot more sense. thank you so much for explaining.

ps: for everyone else im not looking to start a new fab diet i just wanted to understand the logic behind this particular one.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

ohhh so on low carb diets people stay away from PROCESSED carbs? such as pasta and bread??? that makes a lot more sense. thank you so much for explaining.

ps: for everyone else im not looking to start a new fab diet i just wanted to understand the logic behind this particular one.

People eat processed carbs on low carbs. It's just my recommendation to try to stay away from them. I have a free day once a week and I eat processed carbs.