Soy Milk

Options
How long does soy milk stay good after its been opened? Just now started to have to drink it, but not sure how long it stays good in the fridge...
Thanks
Christina

Replies

• kcking_mi
    Options
    How long does soy milk stay good after its been opened? Just now started to have to drink it, but not sure how long it stays good in the fridge...
    Thanks
    Christina
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just like milk...a couple weeks. There should be an expiration or sell by date on the carton. I usually go through a gallon of milk/soymilk in a week so I never worry about it expiring lol.
  • kcking_mi
    Options
    Yeah when I read the carton it has a December 31st date on it, and I figure it can't be right... Thanks!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It usually says to drink it within a week from when it's been opened but I keep it opened a lot longer then that. I'd go with a few weeks, too.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yeah when I read the carton it has a December 31st date on it, and I figure it can't be right... Thanks!

If that's what it says, then it's right. No company is going to post an incorrect expiration date to increase a products selling time. That would just result in huge lawsuits.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use the Westfield Soymilk brand that you buy off the shelf as opposed to the fridge section. The longest I've ever kept any unopened is 3 months (found them once at DollarTree and bought up every one they had :wink: ) and it was perfectly fine. As far as opened, I'm guessing a few weeks to be on the safe side.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

If that's what it says, then it's right. No company is going to post an incorrect expiration date to increase a products selling time. That would just result in huge lawsuits.

Exactly, it's against the law to publish a false date.
    So, if that is what it says, then that is when it should be used.
    Also, make sure you are looking at the USE BY date not the SELL BY DATE, there is a difference.
    SELL BY - is for the seller
    USE BY- is for the consumer, some products are okay a few days after the USE date, but taste may alter as time goes by and eventually (within a week usually) should either be consumed or tossed. (See, I knew being a FCS Nutrition teacher would pay off somewhere). :laugh:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It lasts a really long time! Like 3 weeks!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Also, make sure you are looking at the USE BY date not the SELL BY DATE, there is a difference.
    USE BY- is for the consumer, some products are okay a few days after the USE date, but taste may alter as time goes by and eventually (within a week usually) should either be consumed or tossed. (See, I knew being a FCS Nutrition teacher would pay off somewhere). :laugh:
    And I think some managers should understand this, too! I bought some chicken with a SELL BY date of say 09/30. I opened it on 10/1 to cook it. It damn near gave me whiplash, the smell was so bad when I took the plastic off. When I went back to the store to get a refund that SAME day, the meat manager told me I was supposed to COOK it by that date. I said "well that's a SELL BY date, not a USE BY date". He said they were the same. Nope, sorry, they are not. How many people buy all their meat and go home and cook it that same day?? I also informed him that there was no way that the chicken would have smelled that bad only one day after the use by date, and had I opened it the day before I'm pretty sure it wouldn't smelled just as bad. He was grumpy about it, but I got my money back along with a reminder to use my meat before the SELL BY date. What a twirp.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i keep mine for week or weeks at the time,, so no worries,,

1 thing to note, i always leave a bit at the bottom, i find that it sediments at the bottom and if you empty it all out on your cereal you might get lumps.. gross but normal.. i just dont like the look of it on my cereal .lol
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

And I think some managers should understand this, too! I bought some chicken with a SELL BY date of say 09/30. I opened it on 10/1 to cook it. It damn near gave me whiplash, the smell was so bad when I took the plastic off. When I went back to the store to get a refund that SAME day, the meat manager told me I was supposed to COOK it by that date. I said "well that's a SELL BY date, not a USE BY date". He said they were the same. Nope, sorry, they are not. How many people buy all their meat and go home and cook it that same day?? I also informed him that there was no way that the chicken would have smelled that bad only one day after the use by date, and had I opened it the day before I'm pretty sure it wouldn't smelled just as bad. He was grumpy about it, but I got my money back along with a reminder to use my meat before the SELL BY date. What a twirp.

Ugh, that drives me nuts! There is a HUGE difference. The SELL BY date should give you plenty of time to still store it for several days in the fridge or longer in the freezer before not being good. I have been horrified by some of the meats I have seen for sale in grocery stores, of varying levels (major corporations to mom & pop like). I would be so mad if that happened to me and you were right to take it back. I would also be concerned what other "slip ups" could be happening. No one wants to buy their meat rotten.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Ugh, that drives me nuts! There is a HUGE difference. The SELL BY date should give you plenty of time to still store it for several days in the fridge or longer in the freezer before not being good. I have been horrified by some of the meats I have seen for sale in grocery stores, of varying levels (major corporations to mom & pop like). I would be so mad if that happened to me and you were right to take it back. I would also be concerned what other "slip ups" could be happening. No one wants to buy their meat rotten.

Well if you cover it with fermented fish from a jar that's been buried underground for several months, salt it, and cook it well, you'll be just fine. :laugh:

I'm guilty of being paranoid about stuff in the fridge. I don't even like leftovers. I freak out when my bf leaves raw meat in the fridge for a couple days. But he always reminds me, it's a refrigerator, and it's kept barely above freezing, so nothing is going to grow in there. And I still eat the steaks when he cooks them LOL.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Well if you cover it with fermented fish from a jar that's been buried underground for several months, salt it, and cook it well, you'll be just fine. :laugh:

I'm guilty of being paranoid about stuff in the fridge. I don't even like leftovers. I freak out when my bf leaves raw meat in the fridge for a couple days. But he always reminds me, it's a refrigerator, and it's kept barely above freezing, so nothing is going to grow in there. And I still eat the steaks when he cooks them LOL.

I agree, I freak out about certain things more then others.
    The question is.... was it covered when you buried it...... :laugh: