How strictly do you log?

Options

Replies

• lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Log it what you should do is measure out a jug of milk to use through the day put it in the fridge and in your diary then you won't need to worry about it rest of day x
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    (And yes ... I can just eat 2 M&Ms and stop! I can't explain how I do it ... I just do!)

You really need to share your wisdom on this one.... LOL
  • sewist
    sewist Posts: 40
    Options
    I log it each time but only measured my milk per coffee for one day. (I drink it the same way whether hot or iced.) I count the calories but I don't freak out if it bumps my protein over goal some days.

I even log the lemon wedge in my iced tea! But I still sweeten it with simple syrup.

My log is honest. I still enjoy my favorites but I KNOW what's going on.
  • ayshamc
    Options
    However, one thing you could do is measure out 250ml of milk into a container each morning and log the calories for that whole amount and then use it freely on cereal/tea/etc. That way you're logging it, but don't have the hassle of measuring and logging each little teaspoon...

what you should do is measure out a jug of milk to use through the day put it in the fridge and in your diary then you won't need to worry about it rest of day x

These are Fabulous ideas, thank you both!!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi to England, from fellow brit, I log everything, plus just quick log calories if I cant be bothered
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is my short story (:angry: don't LOl anyone that knows me, I WILL make it short......for me:wink: )

I have been on here over three years and can tell you that when I lost weight on a regular basis, felt the most healthy, actually felt fantastic, I logged every morsal!!

There is something in the psychological side that makes you look at that damn french fry differently when you have to log it. Oh and it bumps an entire meal, or you have to go over your cals for the day! :grumble:

Also, we tend to underestimate our food dramatically. For example my pot pie debacle the other night............1200 calories:sad:

For me the logging is a learning tool. Not logging is like not studying for a test, you will fail.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything, i make sure i weigh all my intake alsi I never used to log drinks but i do now milk i log as 100 ml for the day to have in tea and coffee
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I drink endless cups of Tea in a day....I live in England, it just seems the done thing here!!

I always use Skim Milk - should I be logging every time I use some?

How strictly do you log - Do you record EXACTLY what you consume, or is there that grey area? lol

I measured my milk once, then add that every cup. We like our tea as we do, so each time the # is about the same.

As to the tea, I keep a running tab of what I drink, then add it at the end of day. It actually is helping me to cut down a bit as I am in South Florida and drink mucho iced tea!
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    I don't eat enough calories (one of the major contributors to me getting too fat) so I have to log everything I eat to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to. Yesterday by bedtime, I had only eaten 900 calories so I had to go and get some more food. So I log everyday (use the app too).
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    In case this will help any of the folks who like to add milk or cream to their tea or coffee:

The little dosing cups that come on bottles of liquid cold medicine are great for measuring your milk or cream! They're usually marked in tablespoons and mls, with each cup holding about 2T. Makes it really easy to measure!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I don't eat enough calories (one of the major contributors to me getting too fat) so I have to log everything I eat to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to. Yesterday by bedtime, I had only eaten 900 calories so I had to go and get some more food. So I log everyday (use the app too).

:drinker: That is AwEsomE!!!!!

edited to add: awesome that you see your eating too little, and are changing that around. I am very proud of you
  • Queentut
    Queentut Posts: 2
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend logging EVERYTHING. Although I'm new to the fitness pal, I have 'watched my weight' all my life and have found that those small things can add up quickly. Once you get to your goal, you can probably back off a tad unless you see yourself moving up on the scales again. HOORAH for you and your fitness goals! Hang in there. You can be successful!!!!!!!
  • Queentut
    Queentut Posts: 2
    Options
    The dosing cups are an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!
  • ayshamc
    Options
    In case this will help any of the folks who like to add milk or cream to their tea or coffee:

The little dosing cups that come on bottles of liquid cold medicine are great for measuring your milk or cream! They're usually marked in tablespoons and mls, with each cup holding about 2T. Makes it really easy to measure!

Another brilliant idea - you lot are just full of them! LOVE IT!

Thank you :smile:
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options

:drinker: That is AwEsomE!!!!!

edited to add: awesome that you see your eating too little, and are changing that around. I am very proud of you

Thank you!

I gained 80 lbs when I got pregnant and couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose the weight. I was dieting, exercising like I'd lost my mind and nothing was coming off. Silly me, it took me 8 years to figure out to start actually counting my calories and I was stunned to realize that I rarely eat more than 1,000 calories a day.

My body thought it was starving so it was hoarding my calories and not letting a single one go.

Now that I've started counting calories and making sure I always hover around the 1200 to 1500 mark (if I exercise that day), the pounds are finally coming off.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't log milk in coffee. Or stuff like mustard on food. =O But I used to, so I know how many calories there in everything I eat anyway. If I have a half cup of almond milk (20 calories) and two tablespoons of mustard (also 20 calories) I just make sure I leave at LEAST that many calories at the end of the day. I like to leave at least 100 leftover for this kind of thing or any errors in measurments, etc.

Yes yes, I'm terrible, I know. But I'm still losing weight. =)
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Log it all.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The dosing cups are an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!

Forgot to mention they are great for salad dressing as well.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Also, in a pinch, I use the cap of the dressing bottle to portion my dressing. A lot of the caps of foods are sized to the portions on the bottle.

I did an experiment on dressing, nuts (almonds by blue diamond and peanuts store brand) and they were both extremely close to the portion size rec on the nutrition lable.

I see the girls at work measuring their dressings now that way in the lunch room:laugh: