New to HIIT - training schedule

Options
The last two days I started the HIIT training sessions and I totally love it! I am wondering what a good training routine for this type of cardio is. Although I could belt out 5 miles in a walk-run prior to this type of training, I am waking up sore from the intervals, particularly in my lower calf area to feet. Also can feel my leg muscles repairing and sore. My beginning interval workout looks like this. 10 minutes light jog at 5.2mph, 30 seconds of 9mph, 4.5 minutes light walk/light jog 3x, 5 minutes walk at incline for cool down = 30 minutes.
What type of cardio is best on the in between days? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The cybex arc really gave me a nice workout on non HIIT days. I also do a HIIT training with a 10 pound medicine ball and throwing it with 2 hands as hard as I can to the ground. Really works the arms and core. I love HIIt and instruemental in my weight loss.
  • Chocoholic72
    Chocoholic72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of HIIT training. I have been doing Power 90, which is the step below P90X. It is a little easier than P90X, but it gets you into the routine. After 90 days of Power90, then on to P90X for 90 then Insanity. First things first, I am 16 days into Power 90 and I have lost 4 lbs so far, much more than I have lost going to the gym.

Good luck to you!
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124
    Options
    It's great that your using hiit. I've been seeing good results using it. You should try to gradually decrease your rest/light jog time between your 30 seconds of sprinting/running bursts.. to around 60 seconds...or even less. You want your heartrate to go down, but not too much.. If you are putting full effort into it, you shouldn't have to go more than about 20 minutes and you shouldn't need to do any more cardio on off days - unless very light..

Sample workout ~ 20 minutes:

3-5 minutes warming up
    3 minutes jog, gradually increasing speed
    1 minute decrease/ rest

30 second sprint 80%
    60 second rest/ walk/jog

30 second sprint 85%
    60 second rest/ walk/jog

30 second sprint 90%
    60 second rest/ walk/jog

30 second sprint 80%
    60 second rest/ walk/jog

30 second sprint 75%
    60 second rest/ walk/jog

3-5 minute cooldown, maybe jog/ walk decreasing in speed.
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I do HIIT sessions it looks like this
    5 minute walk warmup
    15minutes of walk (3.5) 1 minute, with 30 second runs (8.5)
    5 minute walk cool down.

I would do this MWF and the do just steady state cardio on treadmil/stairmaster or elliptical on the in between days.

HIIT usually followed my wieght training.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will aim for 3x a week, with steady state cardio in between days and one day off. I also train with free weights for upper body about 3x a week. I just downloaded an app for the interval training, it is called "minutes" and looking forward to setting it up this morning. Anyone else experience a warm glowing feeling during the HIIT recovery periods? It's almost like I can feel the body fat melting away!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Choc, HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. It is a much shorter version of cardio, with reportedly 9x more fat loss than steady state low intensity cardio. Not sure what measure of expenditure they base that on, but the cool thing is that the fat loss supposedly continues for many hours after you finish your work out, where in the low intensity it supposedly does not. Don't know much about the P90x, but from watching the infomercials, probably is part of the program. Cheers.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do 5 min warm up at about 140 strides per minute. Then alternate 1 min run at at least 200 strides per min and 1:30 min rest at at lest 160 strides per min. Then5 min cool down at at least 140 strides. Total time 25 min. I do this on a cross ramp machine.