Info on heart rate monitors

Options
My husband and I are looking into buying a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading of the calories we are burning. Does anyone know anything on the Oregon Scientific Smart Heart Heart Rate Monitor Watch from walmart ? We are thinking about buying this brand. Any help would be great. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My husband and me got the Walmart Sportline heart rate watch and we are very satisfied. I have the S12 and he has the SX, the S12 is easier to work with though.
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump*
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd spend a bit more and get a brand that specialized in HRMs, like Polar. You can get a F4 on Amazon around $50. I tried other brands before my Polar and none lasted more than a year. I currently have a Polar and a Garmin. Both have lasted many years through a lot of abuse. The Garmin is expensive so I don't recommend it unless you need the GPS functions as well.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that brand, but I just got a Polar FT4 (at the recommendation of many MFP people). I really like it and it is super easy to use.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know which one it was, but my wife got one at Walmart for $30 and it ended up being just a HRM. Didn't track calories. Returned it & went with a Polar FT4. Cost a little more, but much more effective.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    The Polar FT series are the best starter HRMs out there. I've used a bunch of heart rate monitors for the past ten years and Polar makes some of the best ones.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    never heard of that brand but i agree with everyone else id go with a polar brand ( with chest strap ) for best accuracy. i would check amazon or ebay for good deals i got my polar FT4 on ebay for about $60 and i believe its the best $60 ive ever spent