Off Topic My dad.. and my son

Options
Hi everyone. i know it's been a little while since my last post.. Things have been a little crazy around here to say the least. This one is for my dad ..Prayer request for my dad..

We found out today that he has rectal cancer after having a colonoscopy . No one knew he was sick until today...On Tuesday he will have a cat scan which will tell him if it's spread, and if so, where it's spread to. It will tell what stage cancer he has. Worse case scenerio - if the cancer has already spread to his lungs/liver the doctors say he has an 8% chance of survival rate - best case scenerio - the cancer has not spread. What we do know is the stages of rectal cancer are generally based upon the size of the tumor. My dad's tumor is about the size of his fist - so about as big as it can get in the area that it's in. Seeing as how it's been growing for approx 8 months it has most likely spread. Stage 4 is the worst possible stage of cancer - Which is what my Dad believes he is at now.

No one even knew my father was sick until today when he told me and my 3 sisters ..and no one else.
We have agreed to not tell extended family or our own children yet until we know for sure what is going on...We will know more after the CAT scan on Tuesday.

November seems to be a tough month for our family. We found out my grandmother was sick in November a few years ago and she passed shortly after..as well as two of my Uncles in November..all on my dads side. What we did not know is that his father also had the same cancer and died shortly after finding out...in his early 60's.. My dad is 59.

Also..My 11 yr old son with Crohn's isn't doing so well. As many of you know he is been sick since diagnosed in June...and we haven't been able to wean him off the Prednison since.. As of this week they upped his dose to 40mg..and the side effects are getting to him.. His face finally slimmed down and is now all bloated again from the steroid.. which he is really self conscious about. They also switching him off a very safe prescription called Pentasa which he takes 6 pills of..to something called 6mp..which has some more long term side effects ... right now he is on both drugs..plus the prednisone for a few months..in hopes of maintaining his flare ups.

Please keep our family in prayer ..Thanks! Leslee

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Hi everyone. i know it's been a little while since my last post.. Things have been a little crazy around here to say the least. This one is for my dad ..Prayer request for my dad..

We found out today that he has rectal cancer after having a colonoscopy . No one knew he was sick until today...On Tuesday he will have a cat scan which will tell him if it's spread, and if so, where it's spread to. It will tell what stage cancer he has. Worse case scenerio - if the cancer has already spread to his lungs/liver the doctors say he has an 8% chance of survival rate - best case scenerio - the cancer has not spread. What we do know is the stages of rectal cancer are generally based upon the size of the tumor. My dad's tumor is about the size of his fist - so about as big as it can get in the area that it's in. Seeing as how it's been growing for approx 8 months it has most likely spread. Stage 4 is the worst possible stage of cancer - Which is what my Dad believes he is at now.

No one even knew my father was sick until today when he told me and my 3 sisters ..and no one else.
    We have agreed to not tell extended family or our own children yet until we know for sure what is going on...We will know more after the CAT scan on Tuesday.

November seems to be a tough month for our family. We found out my grandmother was sick in November a few years ago and she passed shortly after..as well as two of my Uncles in November..all on my dads side. What we did not know is that his father also had the same cancer and died shortly after finding out...in his early 60's.. My dad is 59.

Also..My 11 yr old son with Crohn's isn't doing so well. As many of you know he is been sick since diagnosed in June...and we haven't been able to wean him off the Prednison since.. As of this week they upped his dose to 40mg..and the side effects are getting to him.. His face finally slimmed down and is now all bloated again from the steroid.. which he is really self conscious about. They also switching him off a very safe prescription called Pentasa which he takes 6 pills of..to something called 6mp..which has some more long term side effects ... right now he is on both drugs..plus the prednisone for a few months..in hopes of maintaining his flare ups.

Please keep our family in prayer ..Thanks! Leslee
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You are in my prayers.:heart:
  • healthychic
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that about your son and dad, I will keep them in my prayers!

:heart: Danielle
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Hope the days get better...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Aawwww, Leslee!! :frown:

You & your family will definitely be in my prayers!!

Love ya, girl!!! :heart:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Awwww....hon......big hugs for you...:brokenheart: :cry: :flowerforyou:

I will definately keep your entire family in my prayers:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I am SO sorry to hear that sweetie!!

My prayers are with you and your family for sure!!

:heart:
    -Tami
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen you around and have been keeping you and your family in my prayers and will continue to do so.

:heart: you lady!
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    Oh my god, I'm so sorry, hun.
    I'll pray for you all tonight.
    Stay strong and safe
    :heart: :heart:
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Prayers going up for you, Leslee, and all of yours!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So sorry what you are going through

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and sending prayers your way!! :heart:

- Leontine
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :heart:
    Be glad that they found it now, and know that there is always hope.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Leslee!! :cry:

I am so sorry to hear what you and your family have been going through. May God comfort and surround you in these hard times and give you all the strength you need to get through this.

My prayers go out to you and your family today.:heart:

PM me if you need anything.:brokenheart:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers:flowerforyou:
  • LML79
    Options
    Thank you for all the prayers everyone! My dad went today for his CAT scan to see if the tumor has spread to his liver/lungs/ other major organs but we won't find out anything until Thursday when he sees his doctor. Will keep you all posted :)

And thank you for the prayers and well wishes for my son Brandon. Come to find out when the doctor got his blood work back...they noticed his Sed rate ( inflammation) was elevated so he was in the middle of yet another Crohn's flare up. Thank God we got him back on the higher dose of prednisone when we did or else we would have been back at the children's hospital. Always something right?
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    So sorry you and your family are having such a hard time.
    My thoughts and prayers to your family:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • LML79
    Options
    Thank you all, so much, for the prayers!! My dad just got back from his appointment...

He said he is starting with the good news (at least there's good news somewhere)

good news is his cat scan came back and showed his liver and lungs as being cancer free, however there are two tiny spots on his lungs that they will keep a close eye on, but are not concerned about. and his blood work came back excellent as well. the bad news..

He has Rectal Cancer that has to be treated with chemo and radiation, followed by surgery that might have to have done twice. He will get phone call from a Dr who specializes in this type of cancer today to make an appointment ...to get the time table of how all these procedures are going to play out. He's probably going to have to move quick on this but thinks nothing will be done until after thanksgiving, but certainly before Christmas, so he said he thinks we will get one good holiday out of this before treatment begins. ( the month of November has ALWAYS been a bad month for our family..in recent years we have lost my grandmother, and two uncles in November)

In the grand scheme of things, its a better outlook then first perceived. At least its operable ... but Cancer is cancer..which isn't good news.. i think the terminal part comes into play with how well, or how poorly, his body does with surgery. its a risky, nasty surgery that will open him up to lots of infection
    we'll just see what the 2nd dr says this afternoon, and take it from there. So I am worried...uneasy....yet trying to be optomistic on what the next weeks/months bring
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, so much, for the prayers!! My dad just got back from his appointment...

He said he is starting with the good news (at least there's good news somewhere)

good news is his cat scan came back and showed his liver and lungs as being cancer free, however there are two tiny spots on his lungs that they will keep a close eye on, but are not concerned about. and his blood work came back excellent as well. the bad news..

He has Rectal Cancer that has to be treated with chemo and radiation, followed by surgery that might have to have done twice. He will get phone call from a Dr who specializes in this type of cancer today to make an appointment ...to get the time table of how all these procedures are going to play out. He's probably going to have to move quick on this but thinks nothing will be done until after thanksgiving, but certainly before Christmas, so he said he thinks we will get one good holiday out of this before treatment begins. ( the month of November has ALWAYS been a bad month for our family..in recent years we have lost my grandmother, and two uncles in November)

In the grand scheme of things, its a better outlook then first perceived. At least its operable ... but Cancer is cancer..which isn't good news.. i think the terminal part comes into play with how well, or how poorly, his body does with surgery. its a risky, nasty surgery that will open him up to lots of infection
    we'll just see what the 2nd dr says this afternoon, and take it from there. So I am worried...uneasy....yet trying to be optomistic on what the next weeks/months bring

Come to CO so I can give you a big hug, Leslee! :heart: :heart:

Continued prayers for your dad, son & you!! :smooched: :heart:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers:flowerforyou:

And big Hugs!!:smooched:
  • LML79
    Options

Come to CO so I can give you a big hug, Leslee! :heart: :heart:

Continued prayers for your dad, son & you!! :smooched: :heart:

I am SO on my way over!! I need a BIG glass of wine....quick!! Already fumbling the keys on the computer..instead of hitting reply I almost posted report abuse ! LOL!! Not Shannon...never!!!