Why can't I have beef anymore?!

Options
So last week, I realized that it had been a little over a week or so since I had anything made with beef. I had a burger Friday and got incredibly sick...but I was also drinking that night, so I didn't think anything of it.

Last night I had a burger and today I am SO SICK!

Have I just lot my tolerance for beef? Has this ever happened to anyone before (or with any other food?)
It even tastes weird to me!

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Sure it wasn't the drinking that made you feel sick? Unless the beef wasn't cooked correctly. Now that I think about it I haven't had some in a long time. I'll give it a try to see if I feel sick too.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    its probably the grease
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Were they fast food burgers??

Chances are you are not intolerant to beef, but rather you are having an issue with the fat involved. You could try using a lean beef such as Ground Round and see how that makes you feel. Only a week would not give you the same effects as a vegetarian going back to eating meat. If they were fast food burgers try making they at home instead. Fast food places fry their burgers to save time which makes they greasy and fatty. You might not be able to deal with that.

Try that out and see what happens.
  • crazynay96
    crazynay96 Posts: 99
    Options
    I can't eat beef anymore either, unless its grass fed. Same thing happens to me now with cheese, and I've always been a cheese lover (hubby used to make fun of me because when we met my dinner consisted of 4 or 5 slices of american cheese cooked in the microwave until bubbly). I too no longer have the desire nor the taste for these things anymore. Its weird. I thought I'd never say I don't like cheese.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Were they fast food burgers??

Chances are you are not intolerant to beef, but rather you are having an issue with the fat involved. You could try using a lean beef such as Ground Round and see how that makes you feel. Only a week would not give you the same effects as a vegetarian going back to eating meat. If they were fast food burgers try making they at home instead. Fast food places fry their burgers to save time which makes they greasy and fatty. You might not be able to deal with that.

Try that out and see what happens.

One was fast food, the other wasn't
  • melissajbutler
    Options
    A lot of people I know who gave up beef for awhile had this problem when they went back. If you start eating beef again regularly, your body will probably get used to it again. Many of the people I know who have problems digesting beef can eat bison with no problem, so if you want a red meat in your diet you could try that.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Sure it wasn't the drinking that made you feel sick? Unless the beef wasn't cooked correctly. Now that I think about it I haven't had some in a long time. I'll give it a try to see if I feel sick too.

Yup. It was an entirely different feeling than a hangover and I didn't drink last night!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My guess would be the fat content, not so much the beef. Try a lean beef filet and see what happens there.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Had roast beef at lunch time and it was yummy...I think like others have said probably all the fat and grease in the burger yukky
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I can't handle fast food AT ALL anymore; I get sick too. And ground beef is so unappealing to me now; I eat ground turkey more often nowadays.

However; if you want to de-grease your ground beef, you can cook it in the microwave in a plastic colander on top of a plastic bowl. It takes about 6-10 minutes depending on your microwave and you should stir/break it up every minute or two. It's actually cooked to perfection and is nice & tender PLUS all the grease runs into your bowl underneath. it's PERFECT!

Or, just go the easy route and substitute ground turkey...