Completely Sidelined

Options
Just got back from the othopedic surgeon's office. I have the beginnings of stress fractures on both femoral necks - just below the ball part of the femur that fits into the hip socket. (only the beginnings. If they actually break you have to have surgery and pins or something.)

That man even gave me crutches to use while walking.:cry::cry:

No running.
No walking.
I guess I can do the 30-day stred if I skip the cardio parts? Or modify them some how? Any ideas?

He said I can swim, use the eliptical or stationary bike. I don't want to join a gym again. Waste of money last time. I am a sucky swimmer.

My attitude STINKS right now and I keep crying. :sad: :sad:

I keep trying to be positive. This is an opportunity to learn to swim better. I can still do sit-ups. Yeah.

Replies

• seegirlrun
    Options
    Just got back from the othopedic surgeon's office. I have the beginnings of stress fractures on both femoral necks - just below the ball part of the femur that fits into the hip socket. (only the beginnings. If they actually break you have to have surgery and pins or something.)

That man even gave me crutches to use while walking.:cry::cry:

No running.
    No walking.
    I guess I can do the 30-day stred if I skip the cardio parts? Or modify them some how? Any ideas?

He said I can swim, use the eliptical or stationary bike. I don't want to join a gym again. Waste of money last time. I am a sucky swimmer.

My attitude STINKS right now and I keep crying. :sad: :sad:

I keep trying to be positive. This is an opportunity to learn to swim better. I can still do sit-ups. Yeah.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know that it is REALLY hard right now, but look at the bright side.....you only have the beginnings!! Not the whole full blown fractures, and they will heal right!!??

You could be looking at surgery right now which is sooo not fun!

Good Luck and I hope you feel better!! Things will get back to normal if you follow the dr.'s orders.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You poor thing-- hang in there. What caused the fractures? Are you a runner?

Bless your heart-- chin up. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    Yes, it could be a whole lot worse. Surgery and pins would have been really bad. I should be counting my blessings. I know that but I'm whining instead.

It's just so frusturating! I love to run. I love to read about running. I love to read about other people running. But everytime I run, I hurt myself. This time, I had gotten up to running 25 minutes, walk 1 minute and run another 25 minutes. It took me 2 months to get there. I was following this no-injury plan that had me running 3 days a week but I pushed it to four and went through it alot faster than I was supposed to. And here I am. Hurt again. Stupid stupid stupid.

Lost 10 pounds running. How am I supposed to keep it off now?

I know I'm whining. I will just have to learn how to swim. Maybe when this is over I'll be able to do a triathalon? I just want to run a 1/2 marathon. That's all. That was my goal.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Yes, it could be a whole lot worse. Surgery and pins would have been really bad. I should be counting my blessings. I know that but I'm whining instead.

It's just so frusturating! I love to run. I love to read about running. I love to read about other people running. But everytime I run, I hurt myself. This time, I had gotten up to running 25 minutes, walk 1 minute and run another 25 minutes. It took me 2 months to get there. I was following this no-injury plan that had me running 3 days a week but I pushed it to four and went through it alot faster than I was supposed to. And here I am. Hurt again. Stupid stupid stupid.

Lost 10 pounds running. How am I supposed to keep it off now?

I know I'm whining. I will just have to learn how to swim. Maybe when this is over I'll be able to do a triathalon? I just want to run a 1/2 marathon. That's all. That was my goal.

Well, to quote that old adage-- where there's a will, there's a way. You've proven you have the will, you've lost 10 pounds running-- you'll find the way to keep it off and get fit alternatively. Have faith in yourself.

Feel better-- :flowerforyou:
  • ironweber717
    Options
    Its not all together bad. Change up your exercise to something different. The eliptical works great. I changed over to cycling outside and it has been awesome. Getting a great workout and still losing weight. If you love to run then let it heal properly. When to start running again change to trail running to lessen the impact. Maybe work on your stride to lessen any impact and smoothen your run. Don't give up!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I second the cycling--very easy on the joints and you can go faster and further than you ever could with running. Try switching to cycling for a bit and see. For me, swimming would get boring fast just going back and forth/back and forth in a pool. At least with cycling, you're outside and can see the world going by.
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Aren't you all afraid of being hit by a car? We have alot of 2 lane streets without the nice bike paths that are EVERYwhere in Colorado. I'll have to try something new so it might as well be the bike.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Aren't you all afraid of being hit by a car? We have alot of 2 lane streets without the nice bike paths that are EVERYwhere in Colorado. I'll have to try something new so it might as well be the bike.

There's no bike lanes at all here but I live in a very rural area, too. Still, some cars have gotten close--it's a risk but one I'm willing to take to ride!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I take it you want to be outside when you exercise? otherwise the ellipitcal is a great one with no impact to hurt you. I feel for you though I started running this summer and I really enjoy the weekends when I can go outside, otherwise I am stuck on a treadmill.

You may have lost weight when running, because it burned the calories you ate, but remember weight all has to do with how many calories in vs. out. If you can control your calories going in till you can exercise again and eat more, you won't gain.

I exercise not to lose, but so I can eat more calories, cause my intake is already at my BMR, and if I don't eat my exercise calories, I dip too low into starvation mode. So even though running makes my legs and butt look good, since I eat all the calories I burn from it, I don't lose weight from it.