budget and diet

Options
2»

Replies

• superflashphoto
    superflashphoto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sales and coupons are a saviour! Try to buy at least 85% of your total groceries using the outer perimeter of the grocery store (that's where they usually have the fresh stuff - fruits, veggies, dairy, lean meats, etc) - and only healthy snacks that you have coupons for from the middle (I can usually find coupons for Special K and any of their cereal bars/fruit crisps... the "Smart" or "Wheat" boxes of pasta, etc)
    Also, buy in bulk whenever possible, and freeze what you can't use. I can usually also find coupons for frozen fruits and veggies (the veggies are great in a stir fry or casserole, fruits are great in a smoothie, or to make fresh fruit popsicles as a treat)

Bring lunch to work whenever you can - it's actually MUCH cheaper to get up early and pack a lunch, like a salad with lots of tastes and textures, than it is to buy a sandwich or something from Subway.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Buy a vacuum sealer, it will be your friend!!!

In the beginning avoid expensive proteins like seafood. Buy those when you have some wiggle room in the budget. Focus on things like chicken, dried beans, brown rice, fresh fruits and veggies. Get creative and buy some new spices! You wont get sick of chicken if you learn to cook it differently :) I can share some recipes though the boards have TONS. And when you find one you and your family like, cook double and freeze half, especially when the ingredients are on sale, not only does it save your budget, you have instant healthy meals!

BUY ON SALE! I can not stress this enough! Chicken goes on sale atleast once a month in phoenix AZ (high standard of living in my area) for $1.19-1.60 per lb. And this is when we stock up! We wont have to buy chicken for 2-3 months off of a $30 purchase. look for other ingredients and spices in the 10 for 10 (i know most grocers nation wide do this) Eggs are always cheap, someone always has them on sale! I got 4 dozen for $4 a week ago, eggs for $1 a dozen are almost unheard of here, and man were people snagging them (remember if refrigerated eggs are good for 3 weeks past the sell by date).

Only buy enough fruits and veggies to make it through 4 days to a week (apples and oranges are heartier then berries and necatarines or peaches) yes you go to the grocery store more often, but you have less waste. If you like smoothies, and your produce it about to go bad CHOP IT AND FREEZE IT! A) youll try new flavors. B) no waste!

Waste is a huge culprit, so focus on makeing foods with the ingredients already in your house as much as possible. Then when you are truly low, re-stock on things that are on-sale and healthy. This will force you to make decisions based on health at this point not "Its in the cupboard"
    Thanks you helped me out too. That was quite informative and very helpful! My gotta haves are: 1 % milk, eggs, whole grain pitas, peanut butter, kidney beans, spinach, cheese, chicken, brown rice, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, various fruit and hommus! Oh and I make my own homemade granola cereal and store it in the freezer cuz it is much cheaper and quicker for me to grab in the morning with a fruit!
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bulk bins! If you've got a Whole Foods nearby these are awesome. I get all of my steel cut oats, quinoa, flour, lentils, etc., from the bulk bins and save a lot of money that way - and the environment will thank you. Also, if you like to cook and use spices (which will help you create more variety with your diet, too), use the spice bulk bins (the amount of money you save doing this is ridiculous - I've saved $30+ in single trips to the store this way) or buy online.

If you like using fresh herbs, which is an easy way to make your home-cooked meals taste better and more "special," try growing an herb garden. I have a big whisky-barrel planter right outside my apartment door and have 2 kinds of basil, 2 kinds of tarragon, oregano, mint, lemon balm, and chives growing in it. Most stores charge $2+ per bunch of herbs, so an herb garden is like the gift that keeps giving.

Eggs are cheap protein. Chicken is cheaper and will go a lot further if you roast them whole and save the carcasses to make stock (homemade stock tastes better anyway, and I just make big batches once a month or so - save your chicken bones in the freezer). You can use the stock to cook lentils or make soups/stews.

I agree with the posters who have mentioned waste as an issue. One thing I've done is ask my grandmothers what they do to save money - Great Depression survivors know how to do this REALLY well. One of my grandmothers keeps a soup jar in the fridge - she throws all kinds of leftovers in there (veggies, proteins) and then when it's full she makes soup with the contents.
    I have been wanting to grow my own herb garden but I kill regular household plants. LOL However, I agree our grandmother's really know how to save if not just from necessity from the depression than definitely from hard earned wisdom!! ;)
  • thekresos
    thekresos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is "budget?" Everyone has their own idea of what that means.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I think it's very affordable and goes a LONG way is tofu. I'm not sure of tofu prices outside my area, but I can get a pound of extra firm organic for $1.99. Add in some veggies (bell pepper, onion, carrots, and cabbage, etc) and stir fry it and you can easily have 6 meals for a under $10.

You can also do really unique things with it like made a tofu pesto sauce and save the $$ of all that olive oil...plus cut out all those fat calories! It makes a ton so you can divide it up and freeze it for on the go meals.

It also doesn't hurt to pick up some things like Lean Cuisines when they are on sale and you have a coupon. Not the best to eat all the time, but I like to have a reserve for when I'm sort on cash/time to cook/or at the end of my fridge suppy and don't have time to get groceries. Coupon when on sale brings price down to $1.50 or so.

Don't forget about growing a garden too. You don't need much space to grow some of your household "staples" such as lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, etc. The summer savings do make a HUGE difference when you think of what you're saving on produce on a week by week basis.

I just saw your post about salads and sandwiches getting boring. You're not getting unique enough! I LOVE getting a little wild with my sandwiches and salads...you can come up with so many different things.
    Ideas:
    Brie/tomoato/onion/spinahc/dijon mustard sandwich
    brie/mayo/cranberry chutney/turkey sandwich
    field greens/goat cheese/pistachio nut mix salad
    spinach/field greens/apples/pears/dried cranberries/onions/candied walnuts/onion/blue cheese salad
    roast beef/havarti/horseradish/onion grilled sandwich
    black bean and salsa "burgers"
    tomato/dill/cucumber/hummus/low-fat feta/lemon juice/spinach pita
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    instead of going out to lunch at work do 1 of 2 things... make extras when you cook dinner and package them up (before you eat your meal to avoid picking at the extras) to take to work for lunch OR (my personal preference bc i HATE eating the same things over and over) go to walmart and get the "Healthy Choice" frozen meals--- they're 1.98 a piece and they have whole grains, are usually around 250 calories and taste great and there are tons of choices... that way you spend $10 a week on lunch instead of $10 going out to eat with coworks per day!
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    also...if you have a pressure cooker or crock pot--- buy chicken halves or "frier" chicken... a pack of boneless skinless chicken breast will cost you approx. $6-7 and you get 1-2 meals (depending on if you have kids/take leftovers to work etc) or you can spend $2.50 on the chicken halves and you get 4 different meals. I will put them in the pressure cooker and drain the juices and take out the bones (which FALL out after pressure cooking). The result is pulled chicken. i have used it to make low fat chicken salad, low fat/low cal chicken enchiladas, and i just used it to make soft chicken tacos (along with making my own guacamole-yummy!)... then freeze what you dont use!! that way you have a quick meal-- try making a little chicken broth, some brown rice, sautee peppers and onions, throw in the pulled chicken and a little soy sauce and you have a yummy very quick very healthy wholesome meal!
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What is "budget?" Everyone has their own idea of what that means.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I think it's very affordable and goes a LONG way is tofu. I'm not sure of tofu prices outside my area, but I can get a pound of extra firm organic for $1.99. Add in some veggies (bell pepper, onion, carrots, and cabbage, etc) and stir fry it and you can easily have 6 meals for a under $10.

You can also do really unique things with it like made a tofu pesto sauce and save the $$ of all that olive oil...plus cut out all those fat calories! It makes a ton so you can divide it up and freeze it for on the go meals.

It also doesn't hurt to pick up some things like Lean Cuisines when they are on sale and you have a coupon. Not the best to eat all the time, but I like to have a reserve for when I'm sort on cash/time to cook/or at the end of my fridge suppy and don't have time to get groceries. Coupon when on sale brings price down to $1.50 or so.

Don't forget about growing a garden too. You don't need much space to grow some of your household "staples" such as lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, etc. The summer savings do make a HUGE difference when you think of what you're saving on produce on a week by week basis.

I just saw your post about salads and sandwiches getting boring. You're not getting unique enough! I LOVE getting a little wild with my sandwiches and salads...you can come up with so many different things.
    Ideas:
    Brie/tomoato/onion/spinahc/dijon mustard sandwich
    brie/mayo/cranberry chutney/turkey sandwich
    field greens/goat cheese/pistachio nut mix salad
    spinach/field greens/apples/pears/dried cranberries/onions/candied walnuts/onion/blue cheese salad
    roast beef/havarti/horseradish/onion grilled sandwich
    black bean and salsa "burgers"
    tomato/dill/cucumber/hummus/low-fat feta/lemon juice/spinach pita

this is great! My budget doesnt allow for alot of variety daily in my sandwiches, but I'm gonna try getting alittle wild! Also trying Tofu pesto, it sounds awesome.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the concept that it is expensive to eat healthily if you are on a low income. Chicken is dirt cheap (in the UK anyway). Likewise eggs and own brand wholemeal bread. Carrots are cheap. Apples are cheap. Potatoes is cheap. Rice. Baked beans. Oatmeal. Just keep it simple and natural. If you aren't buying alcohol or takeaways or junk you have so much money to spend on healthy food.