Time of Exercise and Weight Loss

Options
I have been exercising on a regular basis, but the time of day that I have been exercising has been varying due to work, school, life...etc. So my question is, does it matter when I exercise, just as long as I do it? I am really asking, does it matter if I exercise in the morning one day vs afternoon the next? Do I have to exercise around the same time everyday to make it easier lose weight?

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    They say morning work outs are the best, but I think if you are doing it sometime throughout the day you are doing awesome :)
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    I love working out in the morning when I can. I just am really questioning do you have to be consistent with the time of day you exercise to lose weight?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I workout at night after work. I'm NOT a morning person and I have no desire to get up and go workout before I go into work. So, I always do it after work.

I've heard that the best time to do it is in the morning when you first wake up, but I know how *I* work and I won't be productive if I try and workout in the morning. lol.

As long as you are doing it - I truly think time of day is irrelevant.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning when I can. I just am really questioning do you have to be consistent with the time of day you exercise to lose weight?

No. I don't think it matters if you workout today at 10am and tomorrow at 10pm. As long as you are working out - that is what your body cares about... I really don't think the time matters.
  • PositiveGoals
    Options
    Morning is the best because it jump starts your metabolism for the day. If you have a protein shake and hit the gym, you will burn the majority of the day. However, any movement is something. You are still burning. Think of it this way, your daily burn starts at the time you exercise. So the ealier you exercise, the less likely you are to retain as many calories throughout the day. However, 3500 calories burned is a pound loss. So if you are buring 350 calories per day and not going over in your calories, in 10 days you will lost a pound regardless of what time you exercised.:happy:
  • MisScorpio
    MisScorpio Posts: 39
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what time of day you work out, it only matters that you work out. I work early and i work out after work and on weekends i either get up early or the afternoon. I tried the early morning workout and it didn't work for me. It also made absolutely no difference in my weight loss. Calories in and calories out...that's what matters.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Thanks guys! Thanks for the info! I was just didnt want my varying workout schedule to effect my weight loss. Because that would be a bummer :(. I lose motivation as the day goes on so I do workout in the morning. But for those days when Im being a procrastinator, I workout later in the day! :)
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathi. Liked your answer (I wholly agree) and checked out your blog. Amazing and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing it.