HELP needed with Training!!!

Options
In 8 weeks time I want to be able to ride 33km (20.5miles). At the moment the furthest that I have gone is 12.5km (7.7miles) and I regularly ride between 5 - 7km a couple of times a week. But how do I get from 12.5km to 33km? what's the best way to train for something like this?

Do I slowly go longer and longer distances? or take more 5 - 7km rides per week? or a combination of the both?

Any advice would be so helpful :happy: .

Replies

• Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I would try doing a little bit longer each day or every couple of days and see how that goes. Good luck!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would increase how far you're going once a week (by a mile or two) and then spend the rest of the week going that new distance to get your body used to doing it.

So, next week instead of 7.7 try and go 9. If you can go 9, then go 9 that entire week. The following week try and go 10 and then spend that week going 10.

Slow and steady. I think if you try and jump up too far too fast you'll wear yourself out. Move up slowly. :)
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    Set short term goals. This week do a long ride of 12.5 km, then each week add 2.5 km to that long ride. I think after 8 weeks you should be real close to your goal. Try to ride 4 to 5 days a week. Also do some strength training to aid in your cycling. Core, legs and shoulders come to mind.
  • jess_ellen
    jess_ellen Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I didn't know where to start so thanks, I think I know how I'm going to tackle this now.