what do i do-im a picky eater

Options
jcezzell
jcezzell Posts: 26
i would like to know some very simple things that are healthy, but i am a very picky and simple eater. thank you

Replies

• LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the things you don't like then we don't suggest them?
  • HER94
    HER94 Posts: 10
    Options
    obvious choices would include salad, pasta, rice dishes rice and vegtables are a great filling meal, however it really depends on what you are fussy on and what you like/dont like
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    write out a list ..as in old fashioned pen & paper..of what you do like. Get creative by adding "likes" together...to create a recipe of sorts. I post my "likes" onn my frig and pantry door. It helps keep me in check when I find my self "trolling".. Good luck.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    leave the excuses at the door :wink: lol giving a little tough love!

Once a week try some thing new, a new veggie, meat, fish what ever and just go from there. You are only a picky eater in your head and it will keep holding you back from making better choices.

Good Luck!
  • gigipamw
    gigipamw Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm also a VERY picky eater. I haven't been able to do the non-processed stuff yet because of that. I try to eat the few veggies and fruits that I like and I know this is not a popular thing, but I like the 100 calorie packs and the skinny cow things. I do get tired of eating the same things all the time though. I lost 60 pounds doing it this way though. Hope that helps.
  • Brent_Arthur
    Options
    I too am a picky eater.

Take what you do like and work around that.

Smaller serving sizes, modified preparations, use of healthy fillers, etc.

What do you like?
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Marinara and whole grain pasta (my boys don't like whole grain pasta, so I cook half with half "regular" pasta) is a good, simple fare. Try bell peppers cut up into strips with some skirt steak or thin flank steak as fajitas. Toss some carrots, celery, peas, corn into chicken broth with some diced grilled chicken for soup. Scramble eggs and mix them into rice with some diced ham and green onions for fried rice. Try Cooking Light's 5-Ingredient fix:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/5-ingredient-healthy-recipes-00400000053319/

Veggies can be tough for picky eaters, so try to have an open mind and TRY, TRY AGAIN. Cook them steamed, eat them raw, toss them into soup, boil them, cook them and put them in a blender or food processor and mix into foods you like, like mashed potatoes or sauces. Put carrots or spinach into a smoothie. Eat them frozen, canned, with sauces or balsamic vinegar and a little EVOO. Grill them on the BBQ, top pizza with them.

You may be surprised about picky eating-- I am one and I eat very healthily. Foods I used to hate as a kid I now love (onions, cooked carrots, spinach).
  • Serenity150
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm somewhat picky myself - there are certain categories of food that I just can't deal with (and of course they are always some of the most highly recommended healthy foods) like beans and nuts. What works for me is finding different ways to prepare the foods I like/are good for my diet. You also can maybe find substitutes for ingredients you don't care for. Also, I periodically try foods that I grew up not liking, and sometimes I'm surprised to find that I know like or can at least tolerate them. I don't know if it's true, but I hear that your sense of taste changes as you get older.

What types of things do you eat now?
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats:
    Avocado, natural almonds, sunflower seeds, natural peanut butter, canola oil

Healthy carbs:
    Oatmeal, lite whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, low carb tortillas, brown rice, beans
    Apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, oranges
    Peppers, spinach, baby carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans

Healthy proteins:
    Lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, deli meats (high in sodium though), skinless chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna

Basically combine a healthy carb, fat and protein at every meal. Simple as that :smile:

If you need more ideas on how to "healthify" your meals or recipes, just give us a list of some of the things you normally like to eat. There are healthy versions of everything!
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater too especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. I am getting better with eating more veggies especially in a salad. Still struggling with fruits.
  • jcezzell
    Options
    see i like some fruit and some veggies, my problem is actually the meats, i am not a really big meat fan so i end up with ground beef and get tons of grossness with it, idk maybe i could find other foods that have protien- i am not a big pepper or onions kinda gal and alot of the posts have that kind of thing for flavor so i mess up calorie count when i look at that stuff and start taking out all the pepper and potatoes and some of the meats ya know? any very simple meal plans/ideas?
  • jcezzell
    Options
    :happy:
    how do you eat the oil? i heard it doenst really taste... you just put it your food? how bad is the texture
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    how do you eat the oil? i heard it doenst really taste... you just put it your food? how bad is the texture

You can make light, oil based dressings. Use it in your pan instead of butter to saute veggies, use it in your baked goods instead of butter for muffins, cakes, etc.
  • jcezzell
    Options
    ok awsome thanx
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    How about stopping the pickiness?? We are omnivores, after all... the world is ours to eat!!
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a lifelong picky eater too. If you need protein options, there is a lot of protein in dairy and eggs. I dont know if you like milk, cheese, yogurt....get the low-fat types of course. Protein keeps you from getting hungry too often.

Dr. Oz actually says if he could get people to change one thing, it would be to eat one boiled egg every morning as part of a breakfast.

Snackin on carbs alone is not good. Combine carbs with protein. Cereal (carb) eat with milk. Fruit (carb) eat with cheese or yogurt. Crackers, breads, cookies, these are carbs. If you eat them, make sure you eat a protein at the same time, so you arent getting hungry again in an hour. Sandwich bread (carb) with peanut butter for protein. Nuts are great protein but not too much. A cup a day of nuts is probably max. Most of the trace minerals our bodies need can be gotten from nuts.
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh and another suggestion, Any vegetable tastes better if you roast it. You can google 'roasting vegetables' for suggestions, but I even read once in a recipe, someone who hated brussels sprouts tried roasting them and loved them that way!

Here is one link for a nice pictorial how-to roast vegetables to get you started, I dont know if its best, but pictures always help right
    http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=323 now you may not want a hot oven on summer days but winter is coming.
  • jcezzell
    Options
    awsome thanks a ton i do see myself eating and then im hungry all over again in very little time