Spank your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Would you 'spank' translates to slap or hit- your spouse, parent, neighbour, boss, co worker etc if they annoyed you or stepped out of line? So why do it to a little child that you are telling you love....

Seriously! So much easier when they can't fight back, huh?

Who says they can't fight back? They have teeth! :laugh:

(Kidding!!)

I think when I have my own set of kids, I won't need to spank. My sister was influenced by my mom, and my brother was influenced by my dad and stepmom. I would like to think that I'll raise my kids with respect for themselves and others so when I tell them to act right, they will.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I think certain situations may call for spanking but abuse is definitely too far. I think those that argue against spanking need to sit back and think about the world we live in. Look at today, kids have no respect for anything, kids kill other kids and I'm not talking about gang violence. We have cops policing schools and not just inner-city schools, regular suburban upper-middle / upper class schoool systems.

Back when spanking was just an accepted form of discipline you didn't have this stuff going on. You can talk to your kids until you're blue in the face you can set rules, rewards, and consequences and follow through with those consequences all day long but somethings just call for more.
  • maryroseclare
    Options
    I don't believe in spanking and threats of spanking. There are other ways to discipline, watch "The Nanny" and use the timeout chair.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Would you 'spank' translates to slap or hit- your spouse, parent, neighbour, boss, co worker etc if they annoyed you or stepped out of line? So why do it to a little child that you are telling you love....

There are plenty of people at work I would love to just slap around the face :laugh:
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    all of the little terrors I know were children of parents who believed that they should spare the rod and coddle the child
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just talked about this today, interestingly enough. Our munchkin's only gotten a couple of light thwaks through the diaper so far (she's two today) when she went past our driveway to the alley blacktop.

Once she's a bit older, if she does something explicitly dangerous, she'll feel the sting of an open handed palm on butt.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in spanking and threats of spanking. There are other ways to discipline, watch "The Nanny" and use the timeout chair.

Yea...my little brother didn't stay in the time out chair. :/
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    kids no. wife yes.

lol, I shouldn't laugh, but lol
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

If my husband did something life threatening (to himself) I would probably punch the hell out of his shoulder and yell. Does that count?
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think certain situations may call for spanking but abuse is definitely too far. I think those that argue against spanking need to sit back and think about the world we live in. Look at today, kids have no respect for anything, kids kill other kids and I'm not talking about gang violence. We have cops policing schools and not just inner-city schools, regular suburban upper-middle / upper class schoool systems.

Back when spanking was just an accepted form of discipline you didn't have this stuff going on. You can talk to your kids until you're blue in the face you can set rules, rewards, and consequences and follow through with those consequences all day long but somethings just call for more.

Interestingly enough a lot of the "bad seeds" I know and knew when I was growing up were spanked. Spanking a child does not make a "good" person and not spanking a child does not make them into a "bad" person. Simple as.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I believe in a spanking when needed. However, I have found that there are way better ways to discipline or punish. My household has started implenting household chores. You act like an *kitten* you get to clean toilets. You act like a bigger *kitten* you get to clean dog poop etc. I figure if they are going to be butts then Im getting something out of it. That way they dont have to deal with a whoopin and i get chores done around the house.
    P.S. this was advice from a woman that raised 2 very awesome adult men. She said they werent always well behaved and she couldnt stand to spank them so she started this! I believe her words to me were "do you think my yard looks this good cause I did it? heck no! my boys are landscaping fools now!"

With that said my kids have chores they have to do on a daily basis. I tell our kids that our home is our ship and if we dont work together then this house will sink.

p.S.s. i can take my children in public and i just ask them if they really feel like cleaning toilets when they get home. I have 2 well behaved wonderful children. I take pride in that. Yes Im bragging.
  • shelleilei
    shelleilei Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My son is 6. I have a couple of timesbefore in the past but as a last resort. For over a year now I just make him do push-ups as a form of punishment. He hates them so he rarely acts up now.

That is a great idea! Physical activity too hehe :)

But is he going to grow up associating exercise with punishment? :/

I don't think so. He may hate them but when he's with his soccer team and he's the only one that can do them, He seems really proud of himself. That's a good question because I honestly never even thought of it that way.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I discipline my kids. Don't spank 'em though. :flowerforyou:
  • shelleilei
    shelleilei Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My son is 6. I have a couple of timesbefore in the past but as a last resort. For over a year now I just make him do push-ups as a form of punishment. He hates them so he rarely acts up now.

That is a great idea! Physical activity too hehe :)

But is he going to grow up associating exercise with punishment? :/

no **** right? so now when he's obese and wont exercise when the dr tells him he has to exercise he gets hot flashes remembering how his mom punished him...way to go!

Woah! Breeeeeeath. No need to get crazy about it.

That's not his only form of exercise. He plays soccer and pee-wee football.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    My parents were both raised in homes that believed in corporal punishment, including being beaten on a regular basis with various household implements. They vowed never to raise a hand to their own children. So, my siblings and I were never spanked, swatted, smacked or otherwise punished in a physical manner. Were we perfect children? No. But, I've yet to meet one.

None of us ended up holy terrors and we all grew up with a great deal of respect for our parents. I personally would never advocate hitting a child no matter the situation involved. There are so many other ways to effectively teach a child to behave respectfully.

You look amazing! Just had to say it.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    all of the little terrors I know were children of parents who believed that they should spare the rod and coddle the child

:drinker:
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    Have had to with 1, never had to with the other. It's a last resort and infrequent but if all else fails and he is being a total jack-a** then yes, I have spanked. Never too hard though..just mostly to shock him and let him know I will carry out my threats so he better start listening! Usually a threat of a spanking is enough. I usually just tell them both if they don't shape up we are going home and everyone is going to bed for the night (even if it is 3 p.m.) This seems to work too. But, I am from the south and most people in the south do spank their kids. I know, I know...what a bunch of rednecks we are. LOL
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've used spankings with both of my children, one's 9 and the other is 20 mos. And before I get carried out on a rail, I only use it as a last resort. Both are very well behaved, and generally respond well to verbal commands. However, sometimes a spanking is necessary, imo.

^THIS

I have a 2 year old and I don't spank him almost ever. He usually doesn't need it. When he is doing something that is potentially dangerous to himself of someone else and words don't do it then he gets a little smack to get his attention. It really doesn't even hurt as much as it makes him stop and listen.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    kids no. wife yes.

lol, I shouldn't laugh, but lol
    sure you should.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the mom on this one about push ups...

um...if you mess up in sports what do you get as a punishment? thats right laps, or up downs or push ups or some other form of physical activity.

he wont hate physical activity he may not like push ups but hey guess what that is life....