Paxil and trying to lose weight

Options
Has anyone took paxil and having trouble losing weight?i take it and i think its stalling my weight loss

Replies

• adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    We learned in pharmacy school that SSRIs will actually normalize any weight gain associated with depression. There is a higher incidence of decreased appetite (about 9%) than weight gain (about 1%). So 1% of people experience weight gain as a result of Paxil, so there is a slight possibility that it's affecting your weight loss.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Honestly, I think when some one is taking a pill (or in my case many different kinds) it can makes us think like it will affect weight loss, so it does. Just look at the paxil as something you need to take, but don't worry about how it affects your weight. Placebo effect and all that... (if any of that made sense... It sounded good in my head.)
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have read that anti-depressants can cause weight gain so if your trying to lose that's a step in the right direction.
  • jaded762002
    jaded762002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of medicines because of my post-partum and trying to lose my weight. My Dr. called Paxil "packs it on" so if your maintaining they say that is good on that medicine.
  • BABYJIZAY
    BABYJIZAY Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I take Paxil. Started MFP last Monday and have lost weight easily... so far.... I am scared it may stall me eventualy also, but I can't let that idea stop me from trying. Neither should you. If you reach a point where your stalled, switch it up. Maybe exercise a different part of your body for a while, try other foods, drink more water. Just don't give up or you won't lose the weight and you'll need the Paxil even longer. Hope that helps
  • Flodanna
    Flodanna Posts: 19
    Options
    I took paxil for 1.5 years and gained 50lbs from it, that is why I am on MFP. I went off July 1st and have started to lose some weight. I have never had a weight issue, or even dieted, before I started taking Pax-hell. The drug is horrible and even worse to come off.