need advice about cheat days

Options
I usually allow myself 1 meal a week to eat whatever I want (which I usually only do every 2 weeks)
well I did great for breakfast and lunch yesterday and today but for dinner last night we drank a few adult drinks and I had some chips and dip that I made then tonight we are grilling chick(which isn't bad at all) but I would like to have some of the chips and dip with it as well
my hubby is on vacation this next week so I will be at the gym A LOT
should I feel bad about eating what I want or again tonight

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    'not sure if it makes it better or not that I am eating triscuits and not chips but I don't want to just throw the dip away (it's salsa and cream cheese) so I need it to be gone tonight.

I am always very good about sticking with my normal eating habbits,

for some reason I am always terrified that if I eat what I want to 2 meals I will gain all the weight I lost back
    and I don't know how to get past that mentality
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Not at all. Life is too short not to eat something of what you enjoy.

I workout so I can eat the odd bad thing and not feel guilty about. Just workout a bit harder to make up for it.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My opinion (take it for what you paid for it :-)

It's absolutely okay to eat what you want. Moderation is one key. In order for this (healthy eating/moving lifestyle) to stick, it has to be just that a lifestyle. Sure, if I do slimfast or low carb or some other fad/crash diet, I may lose weight, but the moment I go back to eating real food, it won't stick. Those kinds of restrictive diets will not stick, they are not sustainable over the long run.

In order for us to sustain this for the rest of our lives, we have to give ourselves some slack. Celebrate special occasions, have some of your favorite foods....just keep moving. Think moderation and balance and enjoy life.

:smile:
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't think it will bad at all! As long as you jump right back in and you know your still going to stick to your plan there is nothing wrong in indulging more than once. But still keep it in moderation.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    'not sure if it makes it better or not that I am eating triscuits and not chips but I don't want to just throw the dip away (it's salsa and cream cheese) so I need it to be gone tonight.

I am always very good about sticking with my normal eating habbits,

for some reason I am always terrified that if I eat what I want to 2 meals I will gain all the weight I lost back
    and I don't know how to get past that mentality

eat it tonight and toss the rest. I have a hard time with self control on the foods I make too! I made the family some choc chip cookies last weekend and I think I ate most of them!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where me and my other half just eat what we want for the day, don't get me wrong we don't sit there stuffing ourselves but instead of having salad or veg for tea we will have spag bol and garlic bread.
    Like everyone else has said everything is ok in moderation.
  • tohealth4me
    Options
    I always find if there is something I want sitting in the fridge that I am trying to avoid, I end up eating two or three other things that I don't really want BEFORE I will cave and eat that thing I want.

Read the box triscuits I just bought - THREE INGREDIENTS! Super amazed and impressed.

My recommendation is to eat what you want, savour it, log it toward your calories, enjoy, and then move on! If you can work out more, then even better.
  • zml_mom
    Options
    I work out M-F at home for atleast an hour and usually burn 500-600 calories and I also go to the gym at LEAST 4 times a week
    I do zumba every saturday
    but this saturday I didn't go to the gym because we chose to take our kids to the museum instead and I didn't go today cause they weren't opened and i have a ton oh homework since my finals are next week

with that said

I am going to the gym at LEAST 2 hours a day for the next 6 days while my hubby is home and will get back to my regular eating tomorrow.

I am going to throw the rest out even though I hate wasting food.
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    I splurged last night, but didn't eat a whole lot -- I felt so full and dragged down, because I ate more carby stuff than my body cared for! But I sure enjoyed it! I didn't even bother to log the food diary.

One thing that I want more than anything is to lose this awful fear of food that I have. It's like being in an abusive relationship! I feel that if I eat or do one thing wrong, than this terrible punishment is going to happen - I will fail, and gain all this weight, and be repulsive to myself. Interestingly, every time I get down to a certain weight where people notice that I look good and comment, then I go the opposite direction and gain it all back. See the battle?

I joined MFP on the advice of someone who said I needed to simplify my diet mentality. She said it's calories in and calories out. That simple. What a change of thinking for me, who has always made it so challenging!" Can't eat this can't eat that, uhoh you stupid cow you ate a bite of those potatoes, it's all over now....."

I am absolutely determined to heal myself this year. I intend to be down to my goal weight by December, I started with a relatively small goal. I intend to stop being afraid to be happy. I intend to stop abusing my body with food, and my mind with guilt. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. I intend to exercise, not obsessively, but to feel fit and mentally stable. I intend with determination to stop being afraid of food. And to use it to self-medicate.

With that said, I enjoyed my splurge night, and ate the olives, crackers and cheese and granola that I wanted to eat, without fear, and only until my tummy felt satisfied (well, truthfully, I was a little TOO satisfied.). Oh yeah, the rose' I washed it down with was quite yummy, too. Then. today, I took a very brisk walk for 30 minutes, drank gobs of water, and have eaten as I have been since I joined this site.

Namaste, y'all....
  • zml_mom
    Options
    so to make myself not worry about it so much, instead of triscuits or chips I used carrots
  • amomatt
    amomatt Posts: 41
    Options
    so to make myself not worry about it so much, instead of triscuits or chips I used carrots

good compromise!