I'm tired ALL the time!

Options
A little background: My SW was 180, and I am down to 174. I usually eat a pretty balanced diet--lots of veggies, some fruit, a good amount of protein. I exercise several times a week as well, mostly cardio. I've been jogging anywhere from 1 to 3 miles 4 or 5 times a week depending on my mood that day. I also do some elliptical training and walking.

My problem is that I am exhausted ALL the time! I'm a stay-at-home mom with a 9 month old daughter who sleeps pretty well at night. Even when I get 8 hours of sleep, I'm exhausted the whole day! I thought that weight loss and jogging would help me get some energy back, but they haven't helped at all. I'm not pregnant again (already checked that one), I'm eating well and I'm exercising. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what did you do to combat it? Although my motivation to overeat has NOT seen a decrease, my motivation to keep myself moving HAS. I just want to lay in bed all day! Suggestions?

Replies

• Ochunshoney
    Options
    Try taking B12..
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    Have you tried the B12 sub-lingual dots? I am tired all the time too. I'm a little anemic, so I take a multivitamin with extra iron, but sometimes that just doesn't quite do it. I have found that those little B12 dots work really well for me. They taste pretty good too, which is nice.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is me too!! I'm more tired on the days I exercise....sometimes I nap when my younger child does to get thru the day.
    I'll have to try the b12 suggestion
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you, but recently had the same problem and I was tired all the time too, so went to my doctor and asked her to check me for 'vitamins'...everything was fine, except, really low Vitamin D...so now I take a supplement of 1000 IU's. a day. I don't know why, but I'm getting my energy back. Today , I was up at 6 a.m., bugging my hubby to go to the gym with me...(I went alone!)
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty much the same way....I'm curious to see what peeps have to say. We're close to the same weight and I'm eating very good. Also sounds like we're exercising about the same amount..............but although I feel good immediately after I'm done I'm still just exhausted not long after.........
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You might want to get your thyroid checked, as well as your Vitamin D levels. Oh, and the bad news, being a Mom is exhausting. :laugh:
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    are you still taking your prenats or breastfeeding? Remember even tho 9 months seems like a long time, your body is still recovering from being preggers and giving your birth!! It takes up to 3 years for your body to go back to normal.

I would give yourself a break, if your tired then rest. Listen to your body, it knows best :happy:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt to have your doc do a blood workup. All the good diet and exercise in the world won't resolve hypothyroid for instance, or you could be anemic.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will look into the B12! Do you all know of any fruits or veggies that are naturally high in it?
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    My first thought is that you may be anemic. Have those iron levels checked! Second thought is that you may need more Vitamin D. Third thought is - are you keeping well hydrated?

Okay, that's all I got!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I will look into the B12! Do you all know of any fruits or veggies that are naturally high in it?

B12 is from animal sources exclusively. It's present in dairy, fish, and meats. The sub-lingual dots are great for vegetarians and vegans.

Are you eating the standard MFP 1200 calorie diet? You might need more than that if you're living a more active life.
  • pkmarley
    pkmarley Posts: 1
    Options
    I remember hitting a wall when my son was 10 months old. He was finally sleeping through the night and so was I but I was still tired all the time. It could be a medical reason, so get that checked. But, I think it might just be that you're a Mum to a 9 month old and that is exhausting in itself.
    It will pass, your daughter will become more and more active and you will too.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Cucumbers !!!! Yellow eggs and Cheese!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked lately by a knowledgable endocrine Dr?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Top 10 B12 foods:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Get tested for anemia. I have had severe anemia twice in my life and had to take iron supplements both times. If you have heavy cycles, they deplete your iron stores rapidly.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of a thyroid problem. I'll start with vitamins and see how that goes. If it doesn't help I'll call the doc :) Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    Depressed? That'll make ya tired! Drink Shakeology from beachbody! That stuff'll give you all the energy you need!
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Where can one find the B12 dots?
  • abrs1649
    abrs1649 Posts: 5
    Options
    As suggested, your thyroid may be the problem. You could also be anemic and/or have a Vitamin D deficiency. After the birth of my son, I was tired all the time as well. I went to the MD due to a cold and she advised me that my thyroid was enlarged. I had that checked out and discovered I had hypothyroidism. Fast forward several years later, both of my thyroids have been removed due to several nodules on both thyroids and I take medicine to regulate my metabolism - for which I will be on for life. I also recently discoved that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. My blood work showed a level of 12. I am now take a prescribed Vitamin D tablet once a week.

It could be a number of different things. Have your doctor check your blood levels.