What is more important to you...

What is more important regarding your diet:

-How much (i.e. calorie intake) or
-What (i.e. junk v. whole foods)

Replies

• foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Tough choice, but if I had to, I'd go with whole foods and no junk!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    I just learned this lesson the hard way... its not about either individually, its about both. Whole food and staying under calories.
  • Krae79
    Krae79 Posts: 49
    They both have equal importance, however, if I cut the junk COMPLETELY out, I'd be a failure. I figure as long as I'm staying under my calorie goal, I can give in to those cravings once in a while.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    more important is what i eat.. but on a daily basis i probably am more focused on intake. wow, that's an eye opener!! but, I choose healthier options so I can maintain a lower intake :):):)

because i feel like crap when i eat junk food!!! (like today!)
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    i try not to eat TOO much junk food but as long as i don't go over my calories i'll eat a little.

and on days that i eat a lot off junk food, i'll work out more to level it out.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Combination, always watching my total calories and opting for more whole / natural foods over having the junk, but the junk keeps me sane as long as I treat it AS a treat not a food category itself.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I'd say whole foods and no junk - within reason obviously.
  • For me personally, calorie intake.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Definitely the what - and guess what - once you eat good healthy food the lower calories come automatically, as you are not eating "empty calories".....

I am eating more than I have ever eaten in my entire life - and dropping weight!!
  • herzo1852
    herzo1852 Posts: 12
    I'd say for me, and many people on here, limiting the junk to small doses and eating more fruits and veggies is the important thing. Some of us are so used to eating junk A LOT that we need to be able to allow ourselves 1 ounce of M&M's etc, otherwise we will put ourselves in danger of cheating big time, and then we ruin everything and have to start over. I personally try to make sure I think more about what I eat now AND exercise every day - I feel so much better already and only 7.8 pounds gone so far! I joined this in May, but only began to diet and exercise 1 week ago, but it feels great to be in control!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    They both have equal importance, however, if I cut the junk COMPLETELY out, I'd be a failure. I figure as long as I'm staying under my calorie goal, I can give in to those cravings once in a while.

YES! I agree!
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    I believe they are equal but if I have to choose I would say calories the reason is I've always eaten whole foods, I just ate way too much lol
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    junk vs whole food ,,tried the low cal ,,didnt work for me so im eating more now & eating the right things & its working ,,im losing at a very steady weight & feel great
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Total calories in/out is my first priority.
    Most of my meals are home cooked from real food already so that's not a big issue, though I do have to pay attention to portiin sizes.
    Second priority is replacing rubbishy snacks with healthier ones, some weeks I do better at this than others!
  • I think both are important, but overall I think its more about how much you eat versus what you eat.

a pound of strawberries is worse for your diet then a 8oz candy bar as far as sugar and calories go

But better as far as nutrients and vitamins, so back to its both important
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have been an avid ingredient reader for about 10 years, choosing to eat whole foods, avoiding chemical additives and preservatives, etc. However, I still ate too much. I was 30 pounds overweight but I ate all natural, wholesome foods.

If I had to choose, I would pick the wholesome ingredients over the quantity, but I would do so begrudgingly!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    a pound of strawberries is worse for your diet then a 8oz candy bar as far as sugar and calories go

What?

A pound of strawberries has 145 calories. A typical candy bar is 2 oz and has at least 250 calories.

Edit: And that's not even considering how much, much healthier strawberries are for you than candy.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    how much
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    i would go with how much. Portion sizing is everything!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    What I eat is probably more important to my body.

But I stress more over how much.