Feel like CRAP.

lawn_gnome78
lawn_gnome78 Posts: 11
I have to ask, does anyone else notice that when you eat like crap, you feel like crap?

I know this is a silly question with an obvious answer, but sometimes I feel like I get all wrapped up inside my own head and I think that it's possible that when I eat healthy, I feel better, and it's more psychosomatic than it is physical hard truth, cause and effect.

I've been feeling really rough, just tired, blah, no emotions, like wanting to just lay in bed, for weeks, and have been exercising and things in my life are going so well I have no reason to be depressed and have felt guilty for feeling such malaise. Today I made an effort for the first time in a long time to be strict about my eating, and I already feel better. But I'm wondering if it's just because it's a confidence thing for staying in control?

Any opinions and thoughts are welcome!!!

April

Replies

• I totally believe this! I had some drinks(alcoholic) last night for the first time since I have been on my diet, and I totally feel like crap today for it. Also if I eat anything that is not in my diet, I feel bad for eating it and also my stomach gets all messed up. I am so there with ya! I haven't had a pop in 6.5 months since I have been on my diet and I had one the other day and didn't even drink it all because it didn't taste good~! So you are not alone with this. Feel free to request me as a friend if you like :)

Melissa
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    I do believe in the old adage, "You are what you eat". Since eating healthier, I've noticed that I feel better, get sick less often and in general have more energy and "joie de vivre". I'm sure part of how you're feeling now is to do with diet, however, willpower is a powerful thing. I know when I complete a goal or do something that I once thought I'd never be able to do, I feel empowered. So, perhaps it's a combination? :)
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    I have to agree, eat better, feel better.
    When you eat junk your body just doesn't handle it well or run well and makes you feel crappy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    No its pretty up and down for me. Like today I feel like CRAP and I have been eating incredibly healthy all weekend, no rice, bread, etc just a little quinoa and a LOT of fruits, veggies, nuts, and nutmilk. And I feel like crap.

Although its not that "right after eating feel like crap" thing that I think you are talking about. I get that more from eating too much than from eating specific stuff, but I also am not someone who gorges on fried or sugary/fatty foods - I'm pretty good about that.
  • kissiefish
    kissiefish Posts: 55
    Either extreme is gonna get to you. If you suddenly started eating better, your body is going to have to adjust (trust me, my tummy aches this last week have been proof) but if you eat crap...you really do feel awful. My husband and I have been here about a week and a half now, and we went out for burgers yesterday. They tasted great...but we felt HORRIBLE after we ate them.

it's all about balance.
  • Clw927
    Clw927 Posts: 26
    I think yes... what you eat affects your mood and overall health...and to some extent... it may be a mental thing...but I think there is science behind it being a physical thing too. I know for me...if I give into my soda addition (damn coca-cola!!!!), I end up feeling lethargic, bloated, anxious, and of course, disappointed in myself for guzzling more empty calories.

If I stick with water... I feel "clean"... and proud of myself... and I have read that it helps wake you up, flushes out the toxins etc... I pretty much feel this way about all foods... most sugary, carby- foods make me feel blah... and when coupled with real depression...it just makes it worse.

I have also spent hours upon hours in bed... doing nothing... but having a million things to do. Life doesn't have to be bad to sink down into that darkness... but I have found that eating healthier... paying more attention to what I am doing... not giving into that monster that is zapping my energy... getting up and getting active... helps me to feel better. You may have to fake it...but you definitely have to force it... motivation will not just arrive... I have to act in order to be motivated to act later....

Don't feel guilty... we all go through things like this... but if it continues... you may want to talk to someone... I think just trying to change one thing... like try swapping one bad thing for something good...see how that makes you feel after a couple of weeks... Like... a banana instead of a doughnut for breakfast/snack... things like that...

And lastly...you may want to couple a food and mood journal... then you can pin point exactly what is going on...if it correlates to how you feel when you eat something that is not that healthy for ya...
  • I don't think your alone. Some days I feel like I just wanna say to hell wit it. But I have to remember where I use to be and continue and where I want to be.
  • I've been feeling the same way, partly due to the extreme heat and not wanting to go outside and do anything, plus I've been over my budget on calories three times this week. so just like I reward myself when goals are met, I punish myself when goals are missed. i got off my *kitten* today and spent a few hours doing yard work in the blazing heat! But boy oh boy do i feel great! i think we all go up and down, ya can't have good without the bad, so to rid yourself of the guilt and the doldrums; get up do something, you'll be better off for it. Push through this you can do it!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    I saw this once "Cut the CRAP (C-offee, R-efined sugar, A-lcohol P-rocessed foods)"

Which I thought was cute
This discussion has been closed.