HRM Reading seems wrong. Help?

13»

Replies

• TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    yeah I know what ya mean. I wasnt sayin it to be mean or catty or anything. Im just thoroughly frustrated as hell with it =/ Im sittin here, it isnt even on, i dont have the strap on. Yet it says 220 as the max =/

im lookin through settings and everything seems pretty much fine =/

only thing i have a bit of a eyebrow raise at is the 'Zone-L" and "Zone-U" thing so if anyone with any idea what to put there has an idea id be happy as hell.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    yeah I know what ya mean. I wasnt sayin it to be mean or catty or anything. Im just thoroughly frustrated as hell with it =/ Im sittin here, it isnt even on, i dont have the strap on. Yet it says 220 as the max =/

im lookin through settings and everything seems pretty much fine =/

only thing i have a bit of a eyebrow raise at is the 'Zone-L" and "Zone-U" thing so if anyone with any idea what to put there has an idea id be happy as hell.

Is it reading that high HR with the strap ON as well?
  • TheTeeWhy
    After having it on for about ten minutes, it pretty much stays average at 80, and max has been 91

Edit: and ive had the strap off for a while now, and it's still relatively low and near the same on the spectrum too.
  • TheTeeWhy
    Bump for the morning crowd, seriously debating taking this back if i get the same reading as high as this is. I like to think it's right but it seems like wishful thinking as 500 is waaaaaaay huge.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Remember too, that sitting near many/most sources of electrical activity will artificially raise the heart rate reading on the monitor. Mine is affected by SITTING AT THE COMPUTER, being near the cordless phone, driving in the car and standing with my wrist near an electric lamp. However.....the treadmill doesn't bother it at all, and have never had any problems while out running.

If I forget and wear my monitor while typing on my laptop, then all of a sudden, my pulse is at 214, which of course, skews the results for the rest of the time I'm wearing it.
    Good luck!
  • TheTeeWhy
    Yeah torregro i had my hrm beside my computer monitor and stuff just so i could look at it once in a while and it'd jump up to like 200 +

Ive had it in my dresser drawer, away from all electrical things and it seems to not move so maybe theres something to that.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    If it tells you your time in zones you can also try this site for formula. I have the opposite problem where mine give a way lower rate than the machines. My elliptical is actually paired with a polar strap and my regular polar HRM will say 138c for 40 minutes on the elliptical where the elliptical itself will have a number nearly double that. HRM are good but not infallible. Follow direction to add 35 on vo2

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • TheTeeWhy
    See, that says I burnt 169 calories only, which seems absolutely pitiful for 30 minutes of exercising =/

my reading today was 405cals for the 30 min treadmilling.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Like right now, I reset the thing since the last message, and it's sitting at...221.2 as the max, and 213 as the average.

Could it be because it's sitting beside my computer monitor that THOSE are that high?

Cause after the exercise I resetted the calories burnt so it wouldnt keep going and going and stuff. So the number DURING exercise probably would have been more accurate as the max.

my mio fitstik pro plus says in the instructions dont use near computers, engines or power lines (it makes it go to max)
This discussion has been closed.