toned arms:)

Options
anyone out there have any advice about getting skinnier and toned arms?
i am extremely unhappy with the way that my arms look more than anything else on my body.
any tips and exercises out there that anyone wants to share?

i greatly appreciate any help:)

Replies

• FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    strength training. have you tried it?
  • rgrubba91
    rgrubba91 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am working toward the same thing. I have found that tricep extensions give me a good burn after like 10 reps so that's a good one!
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    yeah i have 3 pound weights. and i do a series of arm exercises every night. i've been too afraid to try some pushups. so i added those in the other night and i do 50 a night. but, it just doesn't seem to be working as effectively as it should.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have heard that tricep dips are good. I myself am still too big to try I think. Everyone I know swears by them.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    tricep extensions are good too :wink:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    lift heavy and get lean...
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Push ups and any exercise in a plank position. Have you tried the 30 day shred or Ripped in 30 videos? It has to hurt to work. Doing reps with 5 lb weights did nothing for me. Doing those videos there are moves that literally have me screaming. They work. My arms have changed so much. :)
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    I have heard that tricep dips are good. I myself am still too big to try I think. Everyone I know swears by them.

i think i know what those are. ive tried them and feel like im gonna die after like five
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Arm toning is one of the easiest strength training things to do in my opinion. It takes a routine where you work one set of muscles with a couple different lifts, then a different set of arm muscles the next day with a couple different lifts. You can use light weights with three sets of many reps or you can systematically increase the weights and do fewer reps (this is the fastest way for me to get toned arms). You will not bulk up too much, but you will see shape changes within three weeks.

Oh, and I don't agree that it has to hurt to work. To me if it hurts, one is not likely to take it up for a lifetime. But maybe that's just me.
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Get 3 lbs dumbells (yes three lbs) and just HOLD your arms straight out to the side for 3 minutes, rest hold you arms straight out in front of you for 3 minutes, hold your arm at a 90 degree angle fists towards the ceiling (like flexing your bicep...) for 3 minutes, and then hold straight dow to your side and then lift straigh arms behind you (tricep pinch) for 3 minutes!!! IT works!!! =) PROMISE!!! I do it once in the am and once in the evening.... just enough to keep steady resistance!! good for the Long & Lean look! =)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    lift heavy and get lean...

^^ What she said!!

"Just say no to the pink weights"
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Try kickbacks yet?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2189121_tone-arms-kickbacks.html

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/meet-jillian/ask-jillian-toned-arms.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBl_wxvjsg

I ride a bike a lot, and I find that kickbacks using a bench has helped me tons with reducing arm fatigue on long rides.

Good luck and good health to ya.
  • MaxandHenrysMom
    MaxandHenrysMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I second the pushups and lifting heavier weights. I was a complete whimp and was given 8lb weights to begin. Saw results pretty quickly, though still working on them
  • Rachel0280
    Options
    One-armed tricep push-ups. I did them for about 6 weeks and definately saw results.
    http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/tricepexercises_6.htm
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    yeah i have 3 pound weights. and i do a series of arm exercises every night. i've been too afraid to try some pushups. so i added those in the other night and i do 50 a night. but, it just doesn't seem to be working as effectively as it should.

You do 50 push ups a night? I assume those are with knees down. Try them with knees not touching the floor (starting position is similar to plank position), with your feet wide apart. When that gets too easy, focus on lowering your chest as close to the floor as you can for each push up. When that gets easy, try with your feet closer together and eventually together all the way.

Target 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

i think i know what those are. ive tried them and feel like im gonna die after like five
    That's good. That's when change happens, when you feel like you are going to die.:laugh: If you stick with it, you'll be able to do more every day.
  • jamadler2
    jamadler2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started swimming (freestyle stroke) for about 25 minutes 3 or 4 times a week and I can see a huge difference in my arms. I've even started getting compliments!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    P90X got me the arms I wanted. Toned and trim.
    Pullups, pushups, bicep curls, shoulder presses, tricep dips/kickbacks/skull crushers, shoulder and back flies.
    I use 8-15lb weights, but started with 3-5lb weights.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Funny enough but Chin-Ups (Palms facing you) are excellent for strengthening your back and biceps.

But first and foremost, tone (low bodyfat) comes from bodyfat reduction and you need to get your diet in order to accomplish that.

Biceps do typically respond to volume but 50 consecutive reps is a bit much. Focus on a weight that keeps you in the 8 to 10 rep range. I sense an, "I don't want to get big bulky arms..." question statement coming on so I'll cut it off here... mass comes from diet, you have to eat big to get big, so as long as you're not doing that don't worry about it.

These are the results of an EMF study done in 2009 to find what the best bicep and tricep movements are.

- Biceps
    Chin Up's
    Wide Grip Parallel Pull Up
    Ez-Bar Curls
    Dumbell Preacher Curls
    Dumbell Concentration Curl

-Triceps
    Rope Extension
    Dips
    Overhead Cable Extension
    Skull Crusher
    Bench Press
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As an instructor, the purpose of strength exercise is to bring the primary muscle being worked to failure...Right where there is NO possible way you could do anymore without compromising the form....Like a bicep curl, if your swinging you back to get the bar or weight up, then youve lost form and your pretty much done.

Tricep dips are, in my opinion, the best thing you could do. In my classes I teach, I am an ARM & SHOULDER animal..I LOVE pushing the shoulders and arms to the extreme!!!
    You dont have to make it a HUGE movement, just make the movement happen. & Carrie1128, you are NEVER to big...If you can only do 2--2 it is, stretch it out, and do 2 more, stretch it out, and do 2 more..keep doing that until you cant possibly do anymore with good form. My students are pushed with 8 dips, hold up, 8 dips, sit and stretch for 8 count both sides, back up for 4 dips, hold up for 4, 4dips again, then down and stretch for 8 ct. vary it up.
    Extensions are good but not nearly as effective.
    Also, on a side note, Planks are shoulders, chest and MINOR tricp, does it use it, yes, but the tricep isnt the primary muscle.
    Push ups, PRIMARY muscle used, chest, then shoulders. One way to put more effort to your tricep, keep arms real, REAL close to your body...very small movement-you wont go to the floor...but a push up is more for chest muscle.
    Just thought I would help..Hope it does.