Why am I always hungry?

Options
Is it normal for me to be going over my net calories (by about 100-200) every day and still be feeling hungry all the time?

I don't really have a lot of weight to lose, as my BMI is within the healthy range, but I'd like to lose about 10-15 lbs (which would leave my BMI still well within healthy). Essentially, I want to burn off that top layer of fat and tone up some more. I work out every day, usually longer than my "goal". I always try to eat healthy too, except for one dessert each day (which could be anything from a lemon bar to one serving of M&Ms). I tend to eat a lot of low calorie snacks (fruit and veggies) to try to keep myself from binge eating, but I still just feel uncomfortably hungry all the time.

I can't understand why I'm constantly hungry. According to this site, I'm eating plenty of food, but my stomach says otherwise. How can I avoid constant hunger?

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Maybe shifting your carb/protein/fat ratios around would help. Increase in protein may help you feel fuller longer.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Are you thirsty?

I've realised that my 'hunger' is actually thirst a lot of the time, now that i'm drinking more water I'm not actually hungry as often.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    what are your net calories? Perhaps you have selected 2 lbs/week to lose? That would put you at 1200, and I'll say I would be STARVING at 1200 cals. Since you are close to your goal, you should be set at 1 or 1/2 lb/loss week.

Also, if you work out, make sure to eat the calories you earned from that.

Here is a great explanation as to why that will help you lose (and keep you from feeling hungry):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Sometimes I am hungry the day after a big workout. That is the case for me today. I rode 48 miles yesterday, and danced 2 belly dance shows plus cha-cha dancing last night. I am starving today, but since it is my day off exercise, I moved my earned calories from last night's dancing to today to mitigate the hunger.

Works for me :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's exactly what I was going to suggest! You people are good. ;-)

Plenty of water, in case you're sweating too much out and dehydrating yourself.
    And eating more of your calories in protein and fewer in carbs, because protein burns more slowly and will keep your body happy for longer.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Are you drinking enough? I agree that you may need to shift your ratios a bit...maybe more protein? I can't see your diary so I don't know how you are eating, but if you say it's pretty healthy, then maybe your goals are off? I hope you can get it figured out b/c i'm sure it's frustrating to be doing everything you think you should and be hungry :(
  • craigburnett
    craigburnett Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I see that you've just recently joined the site. You may find that after a week or two you will be satisfied with less food. It was the case for me, anyway.

I don't know what you're eating but switching to more nutrient-dense foods (as opposed to calorie-dense) you get to eat a higher volume of food for the same calories. Two cups of romaine lettuce is about 16 calories.

Are you drinking enough water? I find that helps a lot.

If you consume fructose, your brain doesn't get signaled that you should stop eating unless you eat some fiber with it.

Also, when I find I want to eat more than my net calories for the day, I just exercise a bit more to make room for whatever I want to eat and it seems to help. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
  • venigma
    venigma Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I do drink quite a bit of water, but I could try drinking more often when I actually feel hungry. That would probably help.

I do eat my exercise calories. When I say I'm 100-200 calories over every day, that's over my NET, which includes the calories I earned from working out. My goal net is 1220.

I've been eating mostly fruits and vegetables, nuts, eggs, yogurt, and things like that. I tend to eat a lot of salads with spinach or romaine lettuce, lots of fruit, and some nuts. I've considered adding chicken to them, but I haven't gotten around to that. In terms of increasing protein, that would certainly help.

I have another question about my net calorie intake. I calculated my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) on the Tools section of this website, and it reported 1377. This is apparently the amount of calories that my body would burn if I were to do nothing but rest all day- it does not take into account daily activities or exercise. How can my net calories be below this? I'm running around all day using up calories, and trying to eat less than it takes for my body to function. It seems obvious that I would be uncomfortable..
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I do drink quite a bit of water, but I could try drinking more often when I actually feel hungry. That would probably help.

I do eat my exercise calories. When I say I'm 100-200 calories over every day, that's over my NET, which includes the calories I earned from working out. My goal net is 1220.

I've been eating mostly fruits and vegetables, nuts, eggs, yogurt, and things like that. I tend to eat a lot of salads with spinach or romaine lettuce, lots of fruit, and some nuts. I've considered adding chicken to them, but I haven't gotten around to that. In terms of increasing protein, that would certainly help.

I have another question about my net calorie intake. I calculated my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) on the Tools section of this website, and it reported 1377. This is apparently the amount of calories that my body would burn if I were to do nothing but rest all day- it does not take into account daily activities or exercise. How can my net calories be below this? I'm running around all day using up calories, and trying to eat less than it takes for my body to function. It seems obvious that I would be uncomfortable..

Your net calories could be below that based on your age, if you put a weekly weight loss goal of more than 1 lb/week or if you are close to goal. For example, I am 43, 2 lbs. from goal, and I have my weekly weight loss set to 1/2 lb/week. My base calories are 1530. If I were to change my weekly goal to 1 lb., MFP drops my calories to 1280 -- way too low for me.

Some people who are very active find that they must move their goal to maintenance calories to lose the last 5-10 lbs.

blessings.
  • venigma
    venigma Posts: 6
    Options
    Your net calories could be below that based on your age, if you put a weekly weight loss goal of more than 1 lb/week or if you are close to goal. For example, I am 43, 2 lbs. from goal, and I have my weekly weight loss set to 1/2 lb/week. My base calories are 1530. If I were to change my weekly goal to 1 lb., MFP drops my calories to 1280 -- way too low for me.

Some people who are very active find that they must move their goal to maintenance calories to lose the last 5-10 lbs.

blessings.

Hm, interesting. I'm 25 and I've never really been "overweight", in the sense that my BMI has always been within the healthy range. I've noticed that I have trouble with food, though. I tend to get bored and eat junk food rather than decent meals. This is essentially a way to keep me thinking about my fitness and health so I don't lose track. I'd also like to lose 10-15 lbs because I'd feel more comfortable at that weight than I do now. (I'm currently at a BMI of 23.3 and I feel a little- squishier than I want to; losing 15 lbs would put me at about 21.) I've found out a few things that I think will help.

For one, I have set my goal to 1/2 lb/week and I have a new net calorie goal of 1480. I think at this goal, I'll be able to stay well within my suggested calories most days (about once a week, I eat out with friends, and I always go over on that day, despite trying to get more exercise- there just aren't low-calorie restaurants around). I hope to keep my actual calories at least 100 below this (around 1380)- which I think is totally doable.

I also realized, while adjusting my goals, that I listed a "sedentary" lifestyle, which is not entirely true. But my lifestyle is pretty inconsistent. I'm a student, on summer break. I work a desk job, but only a few hours a day. When I have free time, I try to do something active, but then at night, I tend to spend a few hours watching TV or movies or reading a book. So essentially, I will need to record EVERY active thing I do. For example, my boss had me moving some old computers around (lifting heavy boxes, walking at a pretty decent pace, etc.). The job took me at least 45 minutes, and I estimated the calories burned by entering similar activities; it worked out to about 180 calories. I do little things like this so often that they really add up, and it's no wonder I was always feeling like I didn't have enough calories to work with.