Obese because of my DAD!

Options
I'm 17 and I have been struggling with my weight for most of my life. During my early childhood, my family ate very unhealthy, but no one seemed to put on any weight but me. My dad always used to weigh me & my mother objected, however he did it anyway. I used to go up and up the scales & I could see he was disappointed with my increasing weight. He would always make small remarks which caused me to eat more. He never exactly brought home the healthiest food either. After my parents divorced my eating got worse and my weight went up to the highest 175lbs. Luckily I turned my life around and have so far lost 27lbs.

Even when I was losing the weight at the beginning of the journey. I told him I was changing my eating habits and would wave Mcdonalds in my face. He even said "You won't keep it off" and "You're just doing this to find a man"!!

I still have problems though and I obsess over the first sign of me beginning to gain weight.

I hope this inspires others

Replies

• UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That is so great that you are recognizing it and turning it around now! Parents do what they think is okay and i guess it doesn't occur to some that everyone's body burns fat differently, so they aren't exactly supportive when they see us gaining weight - they tend to think something is wrong with us. I'm 43 now and always thought something was "wrong with me", but now i've learned that i grew up eating unhealthy food and had no knowledge about what was good and bad for me. My parents didn't think about it because they didn't really gain weight. Now that you are learning how to eat and how portions work and those things, you'll never "unlearn" it and you are taking control not just of now and the way you look, but of the rest of your life! Eating healthier means as you grow older you will reduce your risk of heart attacks and cancer and well, just everything! So you go girl and good for you for understanding that the problem had a lot to do with your dad and not so much with you. We start learning from someone the minute we are born and that's just the way it is. All we can do is change it when we realize what we learned did not work for us! Proud of you!
  • dstrbdangel
    Options
    i dont think its exactly fair for you to blame it all on your dad.I suppose in his own way he was trying to help you,even tho he totally went about it the wrong way.Try to forgive him and make yourself a better person because of it.Know you are a strong person and you CAN do it! Dont worry about it,if you gain a pound or two you will lose it again :)
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    Good for you for changing. As a mom, yes, this inspires me and reminds me every nutritional choice I make for my small children now will ultimately affect them later in life. They are my inspiration.

I'm sorry you weren't given access to healthy food growing up but I hope you'll continue on your journey toward a healthier life.
  • NatStylz
    NatStylz Posts: 38
    Options
    Your words mean a lot to me. It has been a real challenge for me but I'm working through it. I never knew it was so psychological, but me taking psychology in school was actually the key to why I gained the weight I had. I know I have some way to go but I am determined to beat the demons that my dad basically installed into me. Thanks for taking the time to reply
  • norcalrv
    norcalrv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Excellent analysis and advice. We have to make our own choices in life and change what we can. Ultimately, we are responsible for everything that we do. Good work!
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Oh no majority is him to blame. Even when I was losing the weight at the beginning of the journey. I told him I was changing my eating habits and would wave Mcdonalds in my face. He even said "You won't keep it off" and "You're just doing this to find a man"!!

I told him I'm doing this for myself and to be healthy. Now he has left the country I finally have peace of mind
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i dont think its exactly fair for you to blame it all on your dad.I suppose in his own way he was trying to help you,even tho he totally went about it the wrong way.Try to forgive him and make yourself a better person because of it.Know you are a strong person and you CAN do it! Dont worry about it,if you gain a pound or two you will lose it again :)
    Your comment is right on point!!
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh no majority is him to blame. Even when I was losing the weight at the beginning of the journey. I told him I was changing my eating habits and would wave Mcdonalds in my face. He even said "You won't keep it off" and "You're just doing this to find a man"!!

I told him I'm doing this for myself and to be healthy. Now he has left the country I finally have peace of mind

Oh wow that is horrible! I'm glad you are doing this for yourself. That's the most important thing. And I'm glad he's far away from you now. Good luck!
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Thanks I'm glad too
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Has anyone else have problems with parents and their weight?
  • bharter1967
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to experience that as a child. Even though I was not overweight as a child, I always believed I was because my dad told me from a very young age that I was "fat, ugly and stupid like my mother." If someone asked me I would tell them that I have been fat all my life, yet when I look at photos of me as a child I was a scrawny little kid. I didn't begin to gain weight until my mid-teens and didn't get totally out of control until my mid to late twenties. While I can say my dad is a part of my poor self image, I am ultimately responsible for what I put into my body. I may be overweight, but that is a work in progress. And I am definitely not ugly or stupid. I am beautiful inside and out, have a host of friends and have had a successful career (retired at age 44), and working on my doctorate just for the heck of it. Trust in yourself and the process. You will make it. Hang in there, I think emotional/psychological abuse is the hardest to overcome. I have always taken to heart my "fat, ugly and stupid" mom's advise and believed that I can overcome anything with hard work. By the way my mom is 130 lbs. educated and raised beautiful successful children in spite of the idiot she married when she was very young.
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    I think it is awesome that you are making this change in your life, but I think there's only so much you can blame on others, and I'm talking from my own experience.
    It might be true to some point when you are just a kid, but when you are all grown up, you have to take charge. It's not like they are force feeding us cupcakes are they?
    And believe me, it is a big relief when you take the power away from others. My bro used to eat pizzas, burgers, ice cream, you name it in front of me all the time - that's how I learned to exercise my WILLPOWER. Just focus on your goal. For example, I asked myself, "Is eating pizza is going to help me get there? No way!!"
    Keep you eyes on the price :)
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Thanks for your story. Its true that I am responsible and I realise that now but then I was misguided. The psychological harm is really the worst. And I'm also glad you're on this journey too. Best Wishes.
  • NatStylz
    Options
    I think it is awesome that you are making this change in your life, but I think there's only so much you can blame on others, and I'm talking from my own experience.
    It might be true to some point when you are just a kid, but when you are all grown up, you have to take charge. It's not like they are force feeding us cupcakes are they?
    And believe me, it is a big relief when you take the power away from others. My bro used to eat pizzas, burgers, ice cream, you name it in front of me all the time - that's how I learned to exercise my WILLPOWER. Just focus on your goal. For example, I asked myself, "Is eating pizza is going to help me get there? No way!!"
    Keep you eyes on the price :)

I have learnt this, thank goodness it wasn't too late. I know he wasn't force feeding me but the annoyance of him always weighing me and unhealthy food in the house their was lack of choice. And the fact he is still putting me down even when I'm losing weight is just disgusting. I'm just happy I've changed now before it could have gotten serious.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Holding a grudge is like eating poison and expecting the other person to die.

If you keep blaming your dad, you will do yourself a disservice by not owning all the accountability, imo. Our parents definitely influence our actions in ways we don't even realize, but we shouldn't just be out to prove them wrong. That takes all the fun out of it.
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Holding a grudge is like eating poison and expecting the other person to die.

If you keep blaming your dad, you will do yourself a disservice by not owning all the accountability, imo. Our parents definitely influence our actions in ways we don't even realize, but we shouldn't just be out to prove them wrong. That takes all the fun out of it.

I'm not holding a grudge against him. I have just realised why I was how I was, and decided to get others opinions. I really want to prove him wrong though with a much healthier me
  • beccaellena
    beccaellena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up (i'm the same age i will be a high school senior this year), my family was never health-conscious when it came to food. I'd eat fast food all day, or at home have high calorie frozen meals or zebra cakes donuts etc. No one taught me to eat well or encouraged me to eat the right things because they were eating the same things as well. Of course, as I grew older and dealt with emotional changes, I began indulging more in these foods. My weight has always been up and down, but now it is at its highest. My dad still continues to eat fast food/high caloric processed foods for every meal, but now my mom eats healthy (all vegetables, turkey/chicken, and fruits) and she dropped from 170 to 112. She inspires me, but the decisions I make are still on my terms and even though my eating environment is different and my fridge is healthy at home, when I go out I have made mistakes where I didn't use any willpower. Lately that hasn't happened though! You can do this though, for yourself of course but it will also be nice as you're reaching your goals you'll be proving your dad wrong as well because you are strong enough to make a change!
  • NatStylz
    Options
    When I was growing up (i'm the same age i will be a high school senior this year), my family was never health-conscious when it came to food. I'd eat fast food all day, or at home have high calorie frozen meals or zebra cakes donuts etc. No one taught me to eat well or encouraged me to eat the right things because they were eating the same things as well. Of course, as I grew older and dealt with emotional changes, I began indulging more in these foods. My weight has always been up and down, but now it is at its highest. My dad still continues to eat fast food/high caloric processed foods for every meal, but now my mom eats healthy (all vegetables, turkey/chicken, and fruits) and she dropped from 170 to 112. She inspires me, but the decisions I make are still on my terms and even though my eating environment is different and my fridge is healthy at home, when I go out I have made mistakes where I didn't use any willpower. Lately that hasn't happened though! You can do this though, for yourself of course but it will also be nice as you're reaching your goals you'll be proving your dad wrong as well because you are strong enough to make a change!

I was exactly in your position. I wouldn't even realise how much I was eating because the rest of my family was eating it too! Now i've made this change I trying to convert my mum & sister to eating healthier (even though my sister is being stubborn). I hope for him to see me and see I have done it and not for the reasons he proclaims
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your dad has NOT been helpful as far as your health and fitness goes....I too had someone in my life that was always negative towards my weight and eating! it was my stepdad (at the time) and he would always call me fat and lazy... but after I became an adult...and had lost over 100lbs I talked to him about it....and although I can't change the past, I did get an apology and a little closure along with it!

once you get to your goal...I would recommend that you have a serious talk with your dad about how negative he has been towards your health...you will feel a ton better afterwards :)
  • NatStylz
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your dad has NOT been helpful as far as your health and fitness goes....I too had someone in my life that was always negative towards my weight and eating! it was my stepdad (at the time) and he would always call me fat and lazy... but after I became an adult...and had lost over 100lbs I talked to him about it....and although I can't change the past, I did get an apology and a little closure along with it!

once you get to your goal...I would recommend that you have a serious talk with your dad about how negative he has been towards your health...you will feel a ton better afterwards :)

WOW you are an inspiration 102lbs lost is amazing. I do want to have a chat with him once I lose the weight and I hope I can get some closure but until then...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!