burned calories accuracy

Options
i dont have a HRM but its on my christmas list or maybe before:bigsmile: . but i have been reading all the post about them and that its usually a big difference in calories burned compared to what the machine says. i only exercise at home or jog on the beach, my treadmill is pretty old so i dont really go by those calories. i do use MFP numbers though are these accurate?

can anyone help me out here? i am 5'2" and 143lb i jog/walk the treadmill for 45 mins a big sweat then i do 15 mins of weight/yoga moves.

MFP usually has it at 300 calories burned.

Replies

• rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i dont have a HRM but its on my christmas list or maybe before:bigsmile: . but i have been reading all the post about them and that its usually a big difference in calories burned compared to what the machine says. i only exercise at home or jog on the beach, my treadmill is pretty old so i dont really go by those calories. i do use MFP numbers though are these accurate?

can anyone help me out here? i am 5'2" and 143lb i jog/walk the treadmill for 45 mins a big sweat then i do 15 mins of weight/yoga moves.

MFP usually has it at 300 calories burned.
  • jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i find that mfp kind of overestimates.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Once I got my hrm I realized that the machines at the gym were giving me about 100 more burned calories than I actually burned. :angry:

I have found that depending on how high my heart rate gets I burn anywhere from 400 -420 in an hours worth of aerobic exercise. :noway:

We are pretty close in size. I am 5'3" and weigh 141:grumble: I have so much more to go:cry:

I hope this helps a little until you can get a hrm:flowerforyou:
  • rogers8702
    Options
    thank you johnsscarlett it does help. its nice to see someone around your size and see what they are doing. my weight goal is 125 by 12/25 but i dont think im gonna do it :grumble: i have been busting my butt with this new routine for 2 weeks now 6 days a week and have seen only a 2 pound loss i know thats normal but its just tuff because i started at 180 back in december and by april 1 i had lost 40 pounds and since it has only been up and down.

im gonna keep on doing what im doing and try to rev it up some days. im just concerned now that maybe im not eating enough, because im not enitrely sure what im burning off. I guees i really need that HRM hint hint hubby:tongue:
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey, so... This may be a stupid question, but what is MFP?
  • melissa73
    Options
    MY FITNESS PAL.... :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    Options

im gonna keep on doing what im doing and try to rev it up some days. im just concerned now that maybe im not eating enough, because im not enitrely sure what im burning off. I guees i really need that HRM hint hint hubby:tongue:

Yeah, that was I was thinking when I read through the posts.

1 lb a week is great tho! I have heard it is slow going once you get close to goal, so any going is probably a great thing! Keep at it. Sounds like you are doing what you need to be!

:flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I think you should burn more than that if your HR is in your target zone. P90X says you should burn about 600 cal in 1hr or so. Some days I'm near there, some not. All depends how high your Hr gets. Drink coffee or caffeine of some sort before your workout out to rev it up a bit.:drinker:
  • rogers8702
    Options
    i actually have a coffee and tea addiction, so if thats helps my Hr yeah for me. its the only bad thing i do, i quit smoking a month ago, i dont eat junk foor (rarely) and i have like 2 glasses of wine a year. so i refuse to give up my coffee and tea.

some say once you have had so much caffiene in your system for so long your body just gets used to it.