Pedometer app for iPhone - need recommendations

Hi, I'm new to this site and am looking for recommendations for a pedometer app for my iPhone. I would like to get one that would run in the background while I carried the phone in my pocket throughout the day so that I can count my steps. I would find it very motivating to see how much I walk each day just in the normal course of business. Free is good, but I don't mind paying if it is a better app.
Thanks!
Kathryn

PS - I'm looking for friends for mutual support and motivation so feel free to send me a request if you'd like. :smile:

Replies

• Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    I looked up pedometers on my android phone, and read most of the reviews on them. The majority state they are not accurate at all, and some programs require you to leave your screen on while the program is running, which means battery drain throughout the day. I think you're better off just buying a pedometer.
  • You can probably find an inexpensive pedometer on Amazon that is more accurate than your iPhone. :) I'd start there!
  • Chesspupil
    Chesspupil Posts: 20 Member
    I suggest reading the reviews on Amazon and decide if this is for you as you will need to plug in a reviever into your ipod touch / iphone, and i believe it is not flexible.

Also, pedometer apps ALL cannot multi-task and as I understand it is a limitation of the OS of the ipod/iphone

That means you have to restart the app if you answer a phone call or need to look up something else while you losse counted steps if you are still moving.

I have tried three pedometers I setteled for the paid All-in pedometer It allows you to lock the screen , It allows you to listen to your music within the application.

I phave an pod touch not an iphone so I cannot tell you about the GPS features of the app but it has them

The app has one problem I dont like... the speed changes based on where I wear the unit... on my hip is faster than my shirt pocket or on my arm band. So I have to wear head phones.

You might look up USB pedometer on Amazon and I have found them at 20 and 30 price levels and you can plug them in. Just carrying them has helped me be more active. I need to start loggin the steps but I dont want to gain the extra calories... If I have some left I normally feel I need to eat. Both my pedometers are accelerometer driven and both are worn at all times and usually are 20% off... so I have setteled that the average is what I get for steps that day.

Both of these items count steps when I travel in a golf cart or even in my vehicle... but then again that is simply part of the error factor you need to consider.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Runtastic pedometer pro !