I need some help if anyone is around

Options
I've been doing the food thing since October 6th and I have not cheated but did fall off for 3 days 2 nights when I went out of town. I still barely went over 1200 calories though(about 1500 as I recall). I believe around the 15th, not positive but it's on my fitness chart, I started walking 4.2 miles a day. I've only missed 2 days I believe, of that. I am going t weight this a.m. but I last time I weighed I had lost 2 lbs. It was 2.2 so on my little chart it says 3 lbs. I am getting a little discouraged at not losing more. I measure also and see I have lost but one inch in my waist so that is not encouraging either. My food intake is very balanced and the times of day I eat are very good(plus I always have my snack so I don't pigout all at once. I don't pigout anymore ever. I feel wonderful!! But why isn't some lbs coming off? My friend that I walk with has lost 11 lbs and yes, she is larger and I heard if you are heavier you lose faster. I could see if I was cheating or not being consistent with my exercise.

Anyway, just discouraged and wondering why after working truly hard to do this thing it isn't working for me:(

Love to all, denise PS I see my walking started the 22 of October. Please feel welcome to look at my food journal and charts. I think you can view them??

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the food thing since October 6th and I have not cheated but did fall off for 3 days 2 nights when I went out of town. I still barely went over 1200 calories though(about 1500 as I recall). I believe around the 15th, not positive but it's on my fitness chart, I started walking 4.2 miles a day. I've only missed 2 days I believe, of that. I am going t weight this a.m. but I last time I weighed I had lost 2 lbs. It was 2.2 so on my little chart it says 3 lbs. I am getting a little discouraged at not losing more. I measure also and see I have lost but one inch in my waist so that is not encouraging either. My food intake is very balanced and the times of day I eat are very good(plus I always have my snack so I don't pigout all at once. I don't pigout anymore ever. I feel wonderful!! But why isn't some lbs coming off? My friend that I walk with has lost 11 lbs and yes, she is larger and I heard if you are heavier you lose faster. I could see if I was cheating or not being consistent with my exercise.

Anyway, just discouraged and wondering why after working truly hard to do this thing it isn't working for me:(

Love to all, denise PS I see my walking started the 22 of October. Please feel welcome to look at my food journal and charts. I think you can view them??
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    For some people it does take longer. Are you eating all your exercise calories too? You have to be sure you are eating those as well because that way you are fueling your body. Also try a different exercise once in a while, like biking or jog for 1 minute, walk 5. It might "shock" your body into kicking up the weight loss.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    HI and thank you much for replying! Eating my exercise calories? You mean say, I have 300 extra, so I should eat 300 extra?? No, I don't eat those because I thought it made sense that I would defeat my exercise if I at the extra?
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have been doin this for almost a year and at first i lost like 15 pds then i went into a rut,, i juts keep trying and now the pounds are coing off again,, it does take time, just be patient:flowerforyou:
  • Becky76
    Options
    Fat could also be being replaced by muscle mass, which weighs more.
    If you are feeling great just keep up the hard work, weight loss will come in time.
    Best of luck!
  • ladybug3
    Options
    As much as it would seem eating your exercise calories would defeat the purpose of exercising at all, this is not the case. MFP already puts you at a deficit to lose one to one and a half pounds a week. If you stay below this number your body could go into starvation mode and hang on to everything that goes into your body. I know that it sounds crazy:grumble: Try to eat your exercise calories for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes:happy:

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you much, did you eat all your exercise calories(extra)?? I don't know I can actually eat that much again. I have gotten used to eating lite and I love it and feel better. Portions you know what Im saying? To eat 3 or 400 more a day I'd have to really up my snacks I guess to something more substantial, eat more to lose more?? It could be true because it isn't logical. Well, it is if I think about needing fuel, I think, Im cornfused
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Becky, thank you so much:) I won't give up that's for sure:) I do feel better as I said. I just so want to succeed at this as for 2 years my life has been such a wreck. This is doing wonders for my general emotional well-being:)

denise:bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    thank you much, did you eat all your exercise calories(extra)?? I don't know I can actually eat that much again. I have gotten used to eating lite and I love it and feel better. Portions you know what Im saying? To eat 3 or 400 more a day I'd have to really up my snacks I guess to something more substantial, eat more to lose more?? It could be true because it isn't logical. Well, it is if I think about needing fuel, I think, Im cornfused
    Hi cj...I just bumped the 'eat your excercise calories' thread up toward the top of the list....take a look and it might make a bit more sense to you then.

Here's a few simple ideas on increasing your calories without really eating larger portions.
    Add snacks like a serving of nuts
    bread with PB & milk
    a piece of fruit
    hummus and veggie

See? still healthy choices but more dense calorie ones. I eat 5-6 small meals a day so that's how I get in the snacks to keep my calories boosted to get in all my excercise ones as well. I normally have quite a few excercise ones to eat as I workout quite a bit so I've had to get creative. lol

I don't add junk food to increase the cals but a portioned treat, ya know just healthy choices that are more calorie/nutrient dense.

hth
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    As much as it would seem eating your exercise calories would defeat the purpose of exercising at all, this is not the case. MFP already puts you at a deficit to lose one to one and a half pounds a week. If you stay below this number your body could go into starvation mode and hang on to everything that goes into your body. I know that it sounds crazy:grumble: Try to eat your exercise calories for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes:happy:

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:

Ok, that is starting to make sense and I have heard it before somewhere. Could it go into starvation mode without feeling hungry though?? Because I don't 99% of the time? Thank you thank you allllllll!!! I will try and come here more often. I am enjoying the interaction here so much. We do need eachother don't we:bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh wow, I am so very proud of your accomplishment!!!!!!!!! yes I will read the thread and thank you for getting it out so I can read it, wow:) My sister is planning to join today. I love this site and have been encouraging many of my friends and acquaintances to come in here. It's just wonderful, the logs and reports and all. Now I see how wonderful the forums are. I can't thank you enough, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)

Hi cj...I just bumped the 'eat your excercise calories' thread up toward the top of the list....take a look and it might make a bit more sense to you then.

Here's a few simple ideas on increasing your calories without really eating larger portions.
    bread with PB & milk
    a piece of fruit
    hummus and veggie

See? still healthy choices but more dense calorie ones. I eat 5-6 small meals a day so that's how I get in the snacks to keep my calories boosted to get in all my excercise ones as well. I normally have quite a few excercise ones to eat as I workout quite a bit so I've had to get creative. lol

I don't add junk food to increase the cals but a portioned treat, ya know just healthy choices that are more calorie/nutrient dense.

hth
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Figured out the quote thing and I wanted to thank you again for mentioning the extra calories. I can see you are right although it's a little scarey to start eating more. I never want to be a pig again, LOL!!! I will read the info the "einstein" person sent and also, try the new "extra" eating, LOL!! I should be happy to do that but I've gotten used to my little "ways" now. But, also, I know you are right about the exercise. I do have a bike at my disposal and will use it. I also have a bowflex that I hear works really well. I am way too far out in the sticks to do the gym in town. But I have all I need:) Big hug for your help, hope you don't mind, denise:bigsmile:

For some people it does take longer. Are you eating all your exercise calories too? You have to be sure you are eating those as well because that way you are fueling your body. Also try a different exercise once in a while, like biking or jog for 1 minute, walk 5. It might "shock" your body into kicking up the weight loss.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I am so very proud of your accomplishment!!!!!!!!! yes I will read the thread and thank you for getting it out so I can read it, wow:) My sister is planning to join today. I love this site and have been encouraging many of my friends and acquaintances to come in here. It's just wonderful, the logs and reports and all. Now I see how wonderful the forums are. I can't thank you enough, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)

bread with PB & milk
    a piece of fruit
    hummus and veggie

hth
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    dont give up it this site and the people here are great help :love:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It might just well be that many of your friend's gone lbs were just watter weight. It's all a matter of sticking to it - at some point you'll start losing them one after the other. Perseverance! :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Hi ALL, just to make sure I am understanding this right, here is my little chart just for todays food:

Total: 711 42 47 6 5 4
    Your Daily Goal: 1,469 201 48 55 100 24
    Remaining: 758 159 1 49 95 20

Instead of my usual 1200 or so calories I need to eat per day, it looks like I need to consume 1469 to be right with my program. Anyone is welcome to tell me if this is not correct and I am still missing the "extra calorie" intake I need from exercise.

Thanks all, you've helped me so much, denise:bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    dont give up it this site and the people here are great help :love:
    Thanks so much! Yes, you are all of great help! I could have went on "wrong" if I hadn't taken a chance and come in and asked someone here:) Have a great day!! denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    It might just well be that many of your friend's gone lbs were just watter weight. It's all a matter of sticking to it - at some point you'll start losing them one after the other. Perseverance! :flowerforyou: Good luck!

Yes, all of the above:) I can't thank you all enough for helping me today:) Our valley is full of smoke this a.m. so edie and I went to the Mall and walked. It was a nice change and doing some stairs was an added bonus:)

Have a good one and talk with you soon, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. I've been very up and down since attempting to lose weight, but I know that we must stick with what we are doing because if you quit you could gain back the 3 lbs. And try not to think of it as only 3 lbs. Anything that's less than what you were is good right. If weight gain takes time, than you must understand that weight loss also will take time. I know it's hard because we want the weight gone right now, but just keep working hard.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi ALL, just to make sure I am understanding this right, here is my little chart just for todays food:

Total: 711 42 47 6 5 4
    Your Daily Goal: 1,469 201 48 55 100 24
    Remaining: 758 159 1 49 95 20

Instead of my usual 1200 or so calories I need to eat per day, it looks like I need to consume 1469 to be right with my program. Anyone is welcome to tell me if this is not correct and I am still missing the "extra calorie" intake I need from exercise.

Thanks all, you've helped me so much, denise:bigsmile:

Yes, that is it exactly! I thought the same thing. I started with no exercise and ate 1200 cals a day. I took 2-3 weeks with this to get used to eating good foods. I then added the exercise and STOPPED losing weight! I couldnt believe it, i was in dispare.

I posted my issue and someone bumped the Banks plateau post and eat your cals post. It was like a lightbulb going on in my head. I started eating my exercise cals and immediately started losing again.

It is a lifelong journey, but you can do this!:flowerforyou: