What to do after 6p-6a shift?? Major muchies

Options
I work as a phlebotomist in a hospital near Dallas. I love my job but after a long shift and long drive home all I want to do is get some cold chicken or pizza and litterally eat in bed till Im full and sleeply. When I get up in the evening I hardly remember what I at. Any advice on how to break the habit??

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I work nights (11pm-7am), and used to have that habit of eating something before bed as well.. Since you said you have a long drive home, I'd suggest packing something to nibble on in the car, whether it's some fruit, or a cereal bar or something.. For me, I just stopped lingering downstairs.. I get home, put my bag down (in our kitchen) and immediately go upstairs and brush my teeth.. One day at a time :) good luck!
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks!! Sounds perfect with I big bottle of water. Can I keep you updated on my progress?
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Clean out your cupboards! Stock your kitchen with food that you won't regret grazing on--vegetables, fat-free dairy (especially yogurt!), poached boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, fruit (preferably fresh, but frozen is good too; same goes for the veggies), air-popped popcorn and rice cakes, high-fiber cereal or bars (eat granola products only in moderation as they tend to be high in sugar and fat), fish (I like canned salmon and tuna for a quick bite), peanut butter (in moderation--always measure peanut butter with a teaspoon or tablespoon measure!), protein shakes or supplements if you're into that sort of thing...you get the idea. Drink a lot of water, avoid caffeine near the end of your shift if you can help it. Plan portion-controlled meals in advance so you are looking forward to something and don't just pick out what seems good (i.e. tasty, not good for you) at the moment. And log everything on MFP if you can! The first step is being honest with yourself.
  • Robbie32
    Options
    Sorry no pic I ll post one tommorow when i find out how
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your meals at night.

I work 7pm til 7am. I eat breakfast when I get home in the morning.

I wake up and eat my second meal at 5pm.

I eat my third meal at 9pm.

I eat my fourth meal at 2am.

It works for me. Hope you find something to help you.
  • Princess626
    Options
    I work 7p-7a. I usually have extra snacks with me to eat on the way home (fruit or cereal bars) with a freshly refilled bottle of water. If I want something a little extra, I stop at the first QuickShop (usually Wawa) and get a Turkey/Egg/Cheese Bagel (only 350 cals!) and milk for the ride home. As soon as I get home, I brush my teeth before anything else. Seems to work great for me.

Days that I don't go home right away are a different story... by 8am I want something sugary! Just have to find a way to resist the temptation.
  • Robbie32
    Options
    I can't exactly clean my cupboards until I get the fam on board. but I do have a soda fridge in my room and stocking that with health is instead is fab, thanks.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Hello fellow night shift worker!! I work 10pm-8am as a medic. On a typical work nite I eat breakfast at work (stuff I bring from home) around 6/7am. I'm usually up by 5pm or so and I eat again (guess that would be lunch?). Then I get hungry around 11pm/12am so I have my "dinner" with a snack around 2/3am. I drink lots of water during my shift and adjust my eating times based on whet my body is telling me it needs. Good luck and if you ever want to chat let me know!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    you absolutely can keep me updated! feel free to add if you'd like :)
  • Robbie32
    Options
    Great or even pac a cooler with a sandwich and some baked chips so by the time i get home my bellies full. Thanks
  • Robbie32
    Options
    All who have posted please friend me your advice is great and much needed, and your up late! I have to go draw pts for the morning but Ill get back on this evening. (hopefully with pic) Thanks!!!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's so funny to me that so many of you eat "breakfast" when you get home before you go to bed! :laugh: I never thought to do that!

Personally I eat breakfast after I wake up in the afternoon - lunch after I get to work around 9pm - some snacks around midnight - and dinner around 2 or 3 am. I usually enjoy some tea or something hot around 5am before I leave to home at 6am. Then it's straight to bed when I get home!

Drink lots of fluids! And try really hard for 3 straight days not to munch when you get home. Make sure you're eating plenty onshift. Once you can get though 3 days it'll hopefully turn into habit!

Good luck! There are lots of us nightshifters on here. Everyone gives great advice! One day you'll be giving advice too!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! I work 5:30pm-6am and I sleep from 730am-2pm. I get up, workout, eat breakfast (3pm), shower and get ready, pack my food for work, and drive 30min to and from!!! I make sure to get in a ton of water and walk in between my rounds (I'm an RT) to take up time! I pack a snack which I eat aroun 8pm, then lunch which I eat around 11pm and then I MAY have a fruit or something around 1am if I need it! You just have to CHOOSE to do this (or not do this) I do NOT eat in the car, and I drive straight home, let the dog out and go upstairs to get ready for bed! You can do this!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's so funny to me that so many of you eat "breakfast" when you get home before you go to bed! :laugh: I never thought to do that!

Personally I eat breakfast after I wake up in the afternoon - lunch after I get to work around 9pm - some snacks around midnight - and dinner around 2 or 3 am. I usually enjoy some tea or something hot around 5am before I leave to home at 6am. Then it's straight to bed when I get home!

Drink lots of fluids! And try really hard for 3 straight days not to munch when you get home. Make sure you're eating plenty onshift. Once you can get though 3 days it'll hopefully turn into habit!

Good luck! There are lots of us nightshifters on here. Everyone gives great advice! One day you'll be giving advice too!

I read somewhere, don't remember where, an article that says that even though you are on night shift your body still reacts to meals. In other words, you still should eat breakfast foods in the morning and dinner type foods in the afternoons. It helps your body stay "in tune" and helps you to function normally even though you are up all night.