How many carbs are in a low carb/high protein diet?

Options
does anybody out there have the numbers for what is considered a low carb diet? how many carbs does the South Beach diet recommend? i am just curious about exactly how many carbs are allowed on these high protein diets. thanks

Replies

• FletcherChic
    Options
    does anybody out there have the numbers for what is considered a low carb diet? how many carbs does the South Beach diet recommend? i am just curious about exactly how many carbs are allowed on these high protein diets. thanks
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPhases/WhatIsInduction/AcceptableFoodsList.aspx

Most fish, poultry and meat don't contain carbs so you can feel free to enjoy them, but be sure you're also getting your 12 to 15 grams of net carbs in vegetables as well.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx

Phase 1, the shortest Phase, lasts for just two weeks and is designed to eliminate cravings for sugar and refined starches - and to jump-start your weight loss. The purpose of Phase 1 is to stabilize blood sugar (which minimizes cravings), making it ideal for people who are prediabetic or diabetic, as well as for those who need to lose a lot of weight.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    normal amount of carbs would be 30 per 7 grams of protein... for example 2 slices of light bread with tuna, lite mayo....or lunch meat no mayo... if your watching carbs make sure you steer clear of lots of mayo... also.. if you have fruit make sure you account that in as it too... some examples in my book i have

properly balanced would be

2/3 cup brown whole grain rice
    with 2 ounces chicken and
    1/2 cup vegtables.. (non starchy)

1 slice reg bread
    1 oz low fat cheese
    and 1 cup salad and 1/2 cup broc

an egg with a slice of toast with veg juice

cereal (check box for carbs) and skim or 1 percent milk

lean cusines

lean meat fish or poultry, with half potato and lots of veggies...

good book to try is the Insulin resistant diet... has alot of good ides and ways of eating better /