So when you first start working out....

Options
So when you first start working out....Do you gain weight? I supposedly gained 6 lbs in 4 days?!?!?!?! I've been busting my butt, eating right, and drinking like a gallon of water a day. So I lost 9 lbs in two weeks, started for real working out and gained 6 in 4 days. Seems so strange. If I didn't lose anything I would be happy I'm not gaining, but COME ON... 6 pounds!!!????

I do not want to give up, but really when you weight 270 lbs, working out is hard. It sucks. I blew out my elbow last week kickboxing and it's still killing me.

Encourage me. Tell me what it was like when you started. I need you.

Replies

• KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    Tag.

I'm curious about this as well. I noticed that when I just concentrate on diet I lose weight fine but when I add in my exercise I either don't lose any weight at all or I gain a little. It's driving me nuts and I want to keep exercising because I really like it but my head says if I'm not going to lose weight doing it, why bother?
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns to maintain it throughout the day. That's why you want to continue and not stop working out. Not to mention how great it will feel to be nice and tone and feeling strong.

As to 6 pounds in four days... well, it sounds like you're just retaining water. It'll probably take a little time for your body to adjust to the changes that you are putting it through. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the trend continues.

Another important factor to retaining water is the amount of sodium in your diet. If you eat a lot of pre-packaged foods, you may have a much higher amount of sodium in your diet than you realize. Start monitoring your sodium intake and make sure it is below 2500. (That's the number for men, it might be lower for women, so research that.)

I'm pretty sure you'll see that water weight disappear once you get sodium intake under control.
  • Loula2011
    Loula2011 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have found in the past that when I increase my water intake at first, that I retain it for a bit and when I keep going and keep drinking water and keep exercising that the lbs do drop off. So that may be what its happening. At least that is what has happened with me.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump

Same here!!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I dont think you're actually gaining weight but instead showing a weight gain. Are you making sure that you're remaining hydrated? You're body might be retaining water as a means of holding onto to some of that water that you are sweating out. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water so your body will let go of that. The other think, honestly, that could be happening is just a scale/weigh-in issue. Are you weighing yourself everday? Is it always at the same time of day and with the scale in the same place? Scales are fickle and really need to be watched carefully. If you are feeling like you are losing, then you probably are.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    A lot of it is probably water retention. When you work out more, your muscles hold on to more water to repair/rebuild. Please, please don't give up! It sucks to know the scale went up, but if you keep with it, that number will start to drop!! Sorry about your elbow!!! Try not to hyperextend it when punching, but keep a little bend in it (it'll control the movement/allow for a stronger punch!)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but it doesn't seem that it is normal to gain 4 pounds in just a few days. Obviously gaining weight is going to be a byproduct of structured weight lifting but only after you have been at it a little while.

Once I started on here I had a week that I had gained 3 pounds. After investigating I realized that I was retaining water because I was drinking A LOT more than I had before I started working out. Is this a possibility?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Not just when you first start working out. Even as you get into it really good you will see some fluctuation in weight. It is mostly water retention in your muscles. This past Saturday, I really did a lot, and gained 3 pounds, but I know it is water.

Drink your water, eat a lot of protein, limit your carbs and the weight will drop again. You will always see fluctuation in your weight, especially if you weigh often.

You need to take measurements, I wish I had.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This has always happened to me! The good news is that it does come back off. I don't know why it happens, but like clock work every time I've started working out after a long break I put on a few pounds before they start coming back off. I did some reading and researching, and some people say that your muscles hold onto water at first causing you to gain. I've been running regularly since February, and I still gain a little after the days I do a particularly hard or long run. Hang in there! The weight WILL come off, and this is so worth it!
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    6 pounds in 4 day s sounds like hormones or water, keep working out - keep eating healthey - watch salt intake. I bet it goes right back down - give it a week. Good luck with your journey!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it.. it's prob. water weight.

I know that I did not drink nearly enough this weekend and it was hot as hot could be here in IL.. and now the scale says I gained 4 pounds in like 2 days. Thats an extra 14,000 calories in 2 days.. and I highly doubt I ate that much!

Keep at it and it will come off.. it just takes time!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes feel? I know it sucks, but sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers on the scale that we can foreget what's really important, being fit and losing inches. Also, I can put on as much as 6 pounds in water during that TOM.