Working out first thing in the morning

Options
I do my first work out first thing in the morning when I wake up. I've read different things about eating before working out- like if you work out first thing and don't eat you burn more fat, but I've also read that if you don't eat you don't get as good of a work out because your body needs the carbohydrates. What are your thoughts? Anyone know about this or have some good advice? Thanks!

Replies

• tonialeem
    tonialeem Posts: 42
    Options
    I've heard both as well, I think the idea is to eat somethign small. Half a banana just to get your body going then have a normal breakfast afterwards.
    how do you manage to get motivated in the mornings to work out? I've been trying to do this so that my evenings which are already too short already could be free'd up a little. any words of advice?
  • KJslp
    KJslp Posts: 4
    Options
    I also work out first thing in the am, I need something in my system or else I don't make it through the workout. I drink a protein shake that I make( protein powder, 1/2 cup frozen fruit, and skim milk) on my way to my work out, then drink lots of water during my workout.

KJ
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I only workout in the morning on Saturday and the rest of the week I go in the afternoon.

Fridays, I usually eat late late night dinner so first thing Saturday morning I won't eat before
    my run and I actually feel pretty good. (But I will chug a bottle of water before and during my run)

Try a week or two without eating before the workout and then fuel up immediately afterwards and see how you
    feel.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've heard both, and I have the best results without eating. If I eat, no matter how long I wait, I'll feel sick while working out. I take nexium every morning and have to wait an hour to eat, so I use that time to workout.
  • sophs87
    sophs87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is what works for you. I do both early morning workouts and evening ones. There is no doubt that I can do a lot more in the evenings as opposed to in the mornings when I have no fuel in my body. Having said that, because I have to wake up at 6.15am if I do a morning run there is no way I could stomach food before the exercise, even if it was just a protein shake.

Therefore; I just see the morning workouts as nothing too much - just a couple of miles jogging in case I dont get to do an
    workout later (like I have something planned in the evening) and I use my evening workouts as high intensity and weights based.

And on the topic of motivation - you will feel SO much better if you make youself get up and go and it's nice when there aren't that many people about. And most importantly; you can chill for the rest of the day!
  • sollila
    sollila Posts: 8
    Options
    I work out in the morning after my 1st cup of coffee, but no food. Then I eat breakfast after I shower and get ready for work. I have not noticed any ill effects. I just don't want to get up earlier than 4:30 so I can eat a little something, then work out.
  • EJWoolcock
    EJWoolcock Posts: 60
    Options
    I work out first thing too and find if I don't have something in my stomache I have really low energy and feel quite faint. All I have is either a small banana or half a museli bar.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

EJ
  • shaverkl191
    shaverkl191 Posts: 131
    Options
    how do you manage to get motivated in the mornings to work out? I've been trying to do this so that my evenings which are already too short already could be free'd up a little. any words of advice?

One way that I get myself out of bed in the morning is by sitting up as soon as my alarm goes off. If I keep laying there I'll never get up but once I sit up and move around a bit it is easier to get going. Also, try telling yourself that you'll just get up and do 10 minutes of your workout. Once you're up and doing it, usually you'll finish it all the way through. I've also tried having a workout buddy. When you know there is someone waiting for/expecting you, you'll be more likely to get out of bed. Hope that helps, best of luck!
  • tabbyanny
    tabbyanny Posts: 17
    Options
    Your body needs the fuel to run correctly! I always eat a little something between 2 and 3 hours before a workout. If you eat too much right before hand, your body will be concentrating on digestion and will not perform to the best of its ability. If I don't have time to wait 2 or 3 hours, I drink my Shakeology and a bottle of water and am usually ready to go right away. Just experiment. Everyone is different! Good luck!
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning. I dont eat before hand because Ive found that for me, it makes me feel sluggish & tired during my workout...but I do take my vitamins and a glass of water before working out just to have something in my body and help speed up my metabolism I try to put something in my body within 1 hour of waking up even if it is just water and vitamins.
  • laurenlivesfit
    laurenlivesfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The reason Im motivated to work out that early is because I do a boot camp and the only time its at is 5:30am Monday-Friday. But I also love it becuase it gets my matabolism going and gives me energy :) Plus, when I work out befor everything else, I eat more healthy the rest of the day. Usually if I plan to work out later, I have more excuses to eat poorly because "Im going to burn it off later" haha