Sweet Italian Sausage

Options
kellystjohn88
kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
I have a pack of sweet italian sausage just sitting in my frezzer and I was wondering if anyone had any healthy recipes using sweet ssausage so it does not go to waste! Thank you :)

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Oh man have I got one for you.

Bowtie pasta
    onions
    Grape tomatoes
    fresh spinach
    honey
    Extra virgin olive oil
    garlic salt
    garlic
    parmesan cheese
    pepper
    sweet italian sausage
    white or red wine

Get water boiling and cook noodles, while you Take sausage out of skin if its in the skin, cook in skillet with crushed garlic, honey (2tblsp) red or white wine, after they cooked a bit, drain almost all sausage juice, leave a little for flavor, add onions, cook them down and finish cooking sausage, keep pan on medium low add grape tomatoes cut in half and spinach(more than you think you need it cooks way down) mix pasta and sausage with wilted spinach and tomatoes, add evoo(1-2 tblsp) parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper to taste and a little more honey if needed. Enjoy
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much switched from pork sausage to chicken sausage to cut the fat calories without abandoning a yummy food. I found really great ones that I enjoy.

But to answer your question, I usually put the sausage in a crock pot with lots of peppers and onions for at least 4 hours and eat them on a bed of brown rice ( cooked separately ) or salads or in a low calorie bun. It comes out soooo tender...it's the only way my son will eat them. He doesn't like how tough the casing can be when it's just grilled or pan fried. I LOVE the crock pot. so simple :bigsmile:
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe as emmydoodles83. I boil whole grain or Dreamfields pasta. In a fry pan, I brown and cook the sausage links til brown. Remove from the pan and slice into bite size pieces. I then add broccoli stalks, sugar snap peas, sliced zucchini, onion, spinach, bell peppers (basically any veggies I have). Cook until still a little firm. Add the cooked pasta and sliced sausage with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. You can sprinkle a bit of parmessan cheese on top also. Makes lots for leftovers and my families favorite meal.
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome thank you so much!!!
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    italian sausage sandwiches!

saute or grill the sausage
    top with sauteed red, green bell peppers and onions and fresh banana pepper on a ww hoagie bun!
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Bowtie pasta
    onions
    Grape tomatoes
    fresh spinach
    honey
    Extra virgin olive oil
    garlic salt
    garlic
    parmesan cheese
    pepper
    sweet italian sausage
    white or red wine

Get water boiling and cook noodles, while you Take sausage out of skin if its in the skin, cook in skillet with crushed garlic, honey (2tblsp) red or white wine, after they cooked a bit, drain almost all sausage juice, leave a little for flavor, add onions, cook them down and finish cooking sausage, keep pan on medium low add grape tomatoes cut in half and spinach(more than you think you need it cooks way down) mix pasta and sausage with wilted spinach and tomatoes, add evoo(1-2 tblsp) parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper to taste and a little more honey if needed. Enjoy

Yum! This sounds great!
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Bowtie pasta
    onions
    Grape tomatoes
    fresh spinach
    honey
    Extra virgin olive oil
    garlic salt
    garlic
    parmesan cheese
    pepper
    sweet italian sausage
    white or red wine

Can't wait to try it... that looks DELICIOUS!!!!! Thanks for posting!