Excess Skin...

Options
mudya
mudya Posts: 128 Member
The heaviest I've weighed is around 225lbs and I'm scared that once I reach my target weight of 140lbs I will be left with lots of excess skin!

I am losing weight at a slow pace - 1 to 2 pounds each week. But this week I lost 3lbs which I think has a lot to do with my new exercise regime - I am jogging and walking on the treadmill for 2 30 minute sessions 5 days a week. For the other 2 days just 30 minutes a day. Most of the time when I am exercising I am walking e.g. 5 minutes walking at 3mph, then jogging at 6mph for only 1 minute. Nothing too strenuous yet.

I could really use your advice guys! Is there any body out there that has lost a considerable amount of weight and not had any excess skin? Should I be doing a different kind of exercise alongside walking and jogging?

I think I should stop watching 'Embarrassing Bodies' :P

Replies

• kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I went from 218 to 163 and I have some excess skin on my lower abdomen, but it isn't as bad as you may think. Even with the skin I still look way better than I did before. My weight loss has been over 6 months, but I have had 2 babies and was 253 at my highest so I am sure alot of the excess skin is from that. Mine just looks like a little pooch, not like the dog jowls others have mentioned. It seems to be getting better as time goes on. I think my body just needs time to get used to the fat not being under the skin and I am hoping it will continue to get better.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the chances are pretty high that you'll have some problem areas, but building muscle as you lose weight will help quite a bit. I went from 215 to 150 (still going, hopefully to 140) and I have some "bat wings" going on with my under arms, but my stomach doesn't look terrible. It really all depends on the individual. But over 100 pounds, I'd say you're likely to encounter the issue, and there isn't a ton you can do to prevent it unfortunately. Use lotion, drink lots of water, don't drop the weight too fast and keep toning and you'll get the best results you can.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think 225lbs is not too bad really... most people who have big problems with excess skin are bigger than that to start with. You might end up with a little if you lose a lot of weight but I don't think it will be too bad, and it will definitely be better than the fat :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You may have some spots, but it doesn't look like you were morbidly obese to start with, so I would think it should be minimal. As for what to do to prevent it, I'm not sure there is anything. Maybe ask your doctor?

Focus on getting healthy first. Then worry about the excess skin, if there is any. Don't let your worry about excess skin get too high and derail your efforts.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    'it will definitely be better than the fat'

Totally agree, thanks!
  • Ruder94
    Ruder94 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started at 260 and am currently 175. I have really started to notice the skin issues. It has gotten to the point that I try and stay away from certain clothing. I see it in my arms, belly and inner thighs. I should be proud the weight is gone, but now am more humiliated trying clothes on. I'm really pushing the toning, but in the long run, I did it to myself by letting it happen. Just take it day by day and things will go well for you.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    THIS! this is the thing that scares me....terrifies me actually. i know for certain it is a huge part of why i have never tried to lose weight before. my self esteem is pretty high and i like my body in general. i am terrified about excess skin. i'm just hoping my brain can convince itself that health is more important.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 (although I have been higher than that esp while pregnant) and I have a lot of excess skin, arms, belly and legs. Honestly it looks awful but I am in my 40's and it does not spring back well the older you get. My only hope is surgery but I refuse to do something like that so I will live with it.