Do you ever fill out your diary ahead of time?

Options
I started out filling out as I went, then moved to filling out my lunch in the morning, then today I've filled out my breakfast, lunch, and dinner already since I know what I'm having.

For some reason I'm finding it cathartic and good for discipline. Coolest thing is it allows me to know that I have x amount of extra calories to work with through the day so when I feel 'snacky' I don't have to worry. My diary is public feel free to check it out.

So... am I nuts or does anyone else do this?

Regards,
Bruce

PS - Philly cooking creme gets 5 Stars in my book to add flavor to meats and pasta.

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I started out filling out as I went, then moved to filling out my lunch in the morning, then today I've filled out my breakfast, lunch, and dinner already since I know what I'm having.

For some reason I'm finding it cathartic and good for discipline. Coolest thing is it allows me to know that I have x amount of extra calories to work with through the day so when I feel 'snacky' I don't have to worry. My diary is public feel free to check it out.

So... am I nuts or does anyone else do this?

Regards,
    Bruce

PS - Philly cooking creme gets 5 Stars in my book to add flavor to meats and pasta.

I do it every day and even fill in multiple days if I can. It makes it very easy to stick to your plan.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    yes, sometimes to save time others to see what I am going to eat and to make sure I eat.
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    I usually fill out my dinner right after I log in my breakfast. That really helps me to see how many calories I have to play with during the day. I never have to cut way back on dinner that way too.
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    I fill mine out a lot of times a head of time. I really like to know how many calories I have and sometimes it changes my mind on what i have for dinner.
  • WMG1137
    WMG1137 Posts: 8
    Options
    Agreed, I work 12 hour shifts so I often know what I am going to eat ahead of time. For me, planning helps avoid making bad decisions about my food choices; the more stressed I am (like at work) the worse the decision.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I do it. Given, it usually means I make myself a different dinner than the rest of my family, but that's okay. I like knowing if what I planned to eat will put me over, because I can then adjust and eat something else that won't break my calorie budget.
  • cammers74
    cammers74 Posts: 45
    Options
    If I know what Im having in advance, I do this too...
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do this every day! I find it much easier to plan my intake in advance. That way I can plan the best workout for the evening, and not worry about having a little snack if I have the calories left over! :)
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    YUP! THAT IS HOW i PLAN OUT WHAT I CAN EAT/WHAT I NEED TO EAT...
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, for me that is one of the best features of MFP. I can enter all of the food I know that I am going to eat for the day and then know how many calories I have left for dinner. It really helps me to plan.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have done this a lot as well. There have been a few studies released that said you are more likely not to overeat if you plan out everything you are going to eat in advance.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I do that all the time. I find it alot easier to stick with my plan for the day. I notice that on the days I wing it, I end up overeating, and eating stuff I shouldn't be eating.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I do it almost every day. I'm really trying to focus not only on calories but on my other nutrients as well. If I log before I eat, I have time to tweak the meal(s) to meet all my nutrient goals. Once I've eaten it, it's kinda too late.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I normally fill mine out for the week on Sundays that way I don't have to wonder what I will be cooking and I know in advance how my day will go for calories. It helps a lot. If I tweak things throughout the week then I will update then but at least I have a foundation for the week.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I try to always plan my day in the morning, then it's just a matter of sticking to the plan. And whenever I have time I plan 2-3 days in advance. Love being able to do it that way - makes it so easy!!
  • Chantelle160
    Chantelle160 Posts: 127
    Options
    Yes everyday makes me stay on track. :)
  • Marazene
    Marazene Posts: 97
    Options
    I do it alot. I work 12 hour swing shifts so lots of times ill log the stuff for the day, and the next day if im on nights, throw the chow in my lunch box and go to work with no worries.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    All the time! It helps me to figure out dinner.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't do it that far ahead of time. But I will frequently do it before I eat it. It helps with portion control. "I logged 2 fajitas and with that I can have 4 cookies, if I eat anything but what I logged I will be over, so don't!"
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one... and glad to know I'm not over obsessive!