When is it enough??

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey for almost a year now. I have lost almost 57 pounds which I think is awesome. I never thought that I would be this size again. My only problem is, in losing all of this weight, people are making comments now. I don't think I look unhealthy. I am 5'3" and weigh 124 pounds. I have been asked numerious times if I am sick or I look boney. I just dont understand why people cant see that I am just healthy now. I was just told by one of the guys I work with that I need to eat that cookie because I need to gain some weight. I know the comments shouldn't bother me but I am tired of everyone critizing all of my good/hard work.
I don't really have a question just needed to vent a little bit.
Thanks for listening. :)

Replies

• Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    let me just say first of all, fantastic job. You look AMAZING and I know this sounds cliche, but I'm sure they are just jealous. Seriously. 124 lbs for someone who is 5'3" is perfectly healthy. I am 117 lbs and I am 5'3" and I am still trying to get rid of a few lbs. Everyone's structure and build is different of course, but you look amazing!

It is enough when YOU are happy with yourself. When you feel your best!!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As a guy - we are clumsy. It's innate; it's in our genes. We can't dress, we are horrible decorators, most of us have to spend years overcoming our fear of dancing, or take classes - and we totally suck at compliments too.

For example, ask a guy to describe an attractive woman (celebrity, movie star, tv, model - whatever) and how many have to start in the chest area? At least, the straight guys are this way. Amonst ourselves, we accept the clumsy compliments for what they are - sincere.

So, I'd take it with a grain of salt. They are saying you look good - and are over-compensating by saying "Gee, you are sure getting skinny", because as a crass guy, they catch themselves from saying "Gee, you look good - you were really big a while ago" - and we know we will be punished for saying something like that. However, as one guy commenting on another guy - we will flat out say "Gee, Fred - you were one fat, ugly walrus last year, now you are just a skinny, ugly walrus".
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that people have gotten so used to seeing the general population over weight, that when someone loses weight & gets to a "normal" size, people think they have become an unhealthy skinny.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I think it's jealousy. And add in a little bit of guilt on their part that you've accomplished what they haven't. You started this for you, you're happy with you now, to h3ll with them! Well done - you look amazing!
  • Mollywater
    Mollywater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous posters. You are NOT at an unhealthy weight. You have done an awesome job and look great! You go girl!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think when you are happy with your size and if you are in your healthy rang then Your good!! I think that the guys comment about being people use to seeing people with some weight on them is right. You have been an ispiration to me and I know that others will think that to!! I wouldnt worry what others say, because there will always be someone who has something to say negative.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    we get use to seeing people a certain size..and when they make big changes, it's hard for others to adjust..compared to your old self you are skinny and boney...but sometimes those aren't bad words..heck i told my boyfriend that my collar bones were getting all " boney and pointy" just yesterday

know some people suck and are jealous
    some people are just having a hard time keeping up with all the changes

feel proud of what you have done..
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. As an aside...even if you DID need to gain weight, a cookie :sick: is not the way to do it.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think that when people are thin to begin with, people don't think much of it. But when you lose weight and become thin, then I think people start having issues. We're all so conditioned to think that weight loss is impossible and that the only way to lose is to do unhealthy things like crash diet pills, starvation etc. And they may be thinking if THEY can't seem to lose the weight, how come SHE can?? And to make themselves feel better about your hard work and success, they may be now trying to make themselves believe you're unhealthy or that you did it in an unsafe way. I just looked at your pics, and you look AWESOME! You worked hard for where you're at, so wear it proud! :D
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    As a guy - we are clumsy. It's innate; it's in our genes. We can't dress, we are horrible decorators, most of us have to spend years overcoming our fear of dancing, or take classes - and we totally suck at compliments too.

For example, ask a guy to describe an attractive woman (celebrity, movie star, tv, model - whatever) and how many have to start in the chest area? At least, the straight guys are this way. Amonst ourselves, we accept the clumsy compliments for what they are - sincere.

So, I'd take it with a grain of salt. They are saying you look good - and are over-compensating by saying "Gee, you are sure getting skinny", because as a crass guy, they catch themselves from saying "Gee, you look good - you were really big a while ago" - and we know we will be punished for saying something like that. However, as one guy commenting on another guy - we will flat out say "Gee, Fred - you were one fat, ugly walrus last year, now you are just a skinny, ugly walrus".

FUNNIEST Thing I have read in a LOOOOONG time!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that people have gotten so used to seeing the general population over weight, that when someone loses weight & gets to a "normal" size, people think they have become an unhealthy skinny.

This. I went to the swimming pool with my kids yesterday. Out of 20 women there, I'd guess only 3 or 4 were at a really healthy weight.
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    hey - 1st of all well done!

I agree with rybo - given 2/3rd of the population is overweight or obese, 'healthy' weight looks skinny by comparison. And as Glypta says, maybe there's a bit of jealousy - You are holding a mirror up to other people and maybe making them uncomfortable.

Here is a link to a few 'Ideal Weight by Height' calculations - (Devine, Robinson and Miller formulae) - you are in a good range (actually slightly over the ideal on 2 of the 3- so that should shut up the 'Are you ill?/You need a cookie' types)

http://www.weight-loss-trust.com/newsflash/ideal-weight-chart-and-calculator -

Good luck and dont sweat it, some folks just gotta have a go at others and it more often reflects on their own unhappiness than the target of their comments.

ps I went through the same thing last year, lost a ton of weight, was lean, energetic, hitting pb's almost every other week and i took a lot of criticism although my BMI was around 21. That passes once people get used to the new you..
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    HATERS!! 123 @ 5'3" is a good weight i think. im 5'2" i want to get to 130 eventually "im at 173 now down from 200". A couple of my friends said "dont you think that is too small?"
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I agree with rybo - given 2/3rd of the population is overweight or obese, 'healthy' weight looks skinny by comparison. And as Glypta says, maybe there's a bit of jealousy - You are holding a mirror up to other people and maybe making them uncomfortable.

I totally agree!! If you are eating healthy, and you feel good, don't listen to the negative comments. Your weight is fine. Congrats on the weight loss:bigsmile: