Ankle Weights and pear shaped body

Options
Hello all,

So I have a question.... I lack motivation with working out. And I found a way to make myself enjoy it. I walk my dogs with ankle weights and recently have been walking through a trail in a ravine. There are steep stairs leading to the street from the ravine....I have been running up and down weights on my ankles.

So my question is....will this help trim me down or will it build muscles and bulk me up....Im trying to slim the size of my butt and thighs back to the size I used to be.

I'm struggling with trying to find the right work out to slim me down before I tone muscle. Please help

Replies

• littlemisskitty24
    Options
    Hi PanteraGirl,
    I am a fellow pear shape and unfortunately there are no ways to spot reduce. Being female we won't bulk but you may run the risk of the thighs, hips and bum area becoming a little more snug before things get looser. I find it takes about 6 weeks for snug to become loose again.

Stick with what you are doing and eventually when you are burning more calories and have a higher amount of muscle you will start to see the difference.

Glad you have found something you like to get the exercise in. Hope this helps.
    :happy:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    The ankle weights should not bulk you up. That is always a misconception with women and weights. I am bottom heavy so I know what a challenge it is to slim the bottom half especially the thighs. The quickest way to get results are running, plyometric workouts, and HiiT. Since you are just trying to get motivated I will possibly try Jillian Michaels 30-day shred DVD which is about 25 min each of the 3 levels. Steps are pretty good but that may bulk your legs up and just get muscular.
  • SkimmyStretch
    Options
    Walking is a really good way of burning calories (aiding you to loose weight) but it is also amazing for toning the muscles in the legs. It's good that you enjoy this type of exercise as it will help you to keep it up! The more muscle that is in the body, the more energy the body uses on a day to day basis to everyday function such as breathing, talking, moving etc This is called BMR. This is becasue muscle in the body needs more calories that fatty tissue in order to survive.

In simple terms ... keep doing what your doing!!! The excercise that your currently undertaking certainly wont bulk you up but will help you to loose weight. Your improving your muscle tone and also burning calories :wink:
  • MerA822
    MerA822 Posts: 43
    Options
    building muscle generally depend on how much wait you use , i think for uncle weights it will not as heavy as the one using in the gum so no i don't think it will bulk your body , i think it will have the same effect as walking but it will be a little bit faster , don't worry & u can always use lighter weights .
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you've found something you like stick with it! It shouldn't bulk you up. However, the only way you are going to make a dent in your unwanted pear shape is over all body fat loss and even then, it might be the last place to lose the fat (it is for me, my stomach is flat but I have a good amount of fat on my thighs).
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm all about gaining muscle :happy: Walking with weights shouldn't bulk you up though. Keep in mind when you gain muscle it burns more calories when you do workout. :wink:
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I too am a pear shape and the legal term would be Endormoph, google it! Also try picking up the book "The perfect body workout". It has all types of workout in there for our boby type. Basically cardio would be our main exercise, weight training as well, but being a pear shape any lower body activity is supposed to be weight free....Hope this helps and good luck.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can anyone suggest more fun work outs to slim bums and thighs?
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    Since you enjoy walking the dogs, maybe try to find a walking trail with a huge hill? I had a boxer pup a few years ago and we used to walk 6 miles at a lake 3 times a week. I remember there was a huge hill I used to play fetch with him there and I ended up running up and down the hill a few times playing with him. That's all I can think about when it comes to "fun" workouts. One thing I do at the gym (not so fun) I walk on a treadmill at max incline 15 with 3.5 speed. It's a pretty hard workout even for people who are in shape :laugh: