Sodium & Potassium Balance

Options
barbarella
barbarella Posts: 609 Member
Good article on sodium & potassium:
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-salt-potassium-heart-20110724,0,5730467.story

Recommended daily amounts for lowering health risks: 1500 mg sodium & 4700 mg potassium. ~♥~

Differing opinion on sodium, 1500 - 2300 mg recommended. But 1500 best for those 51 and older,
and those of any age who are African American or have high blood pressure, kidney disease or diabetes.

Of course, choosing fresh food over packaged food is ideal. Restaurant food is outrageous in sodium! :grumble: :noway:

Replies

• iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've been using the American Heart Association's "Dash Diet" recommendations with MFP for a while now. I've managed to get my blood pressure under control and get off all my medications for hypertension this year.

Here's a calculator I built to adjust potassium and sodium levels for your MFP calorie target: http://goo.gl/xsj3k
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Excellent info, thanks!
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    thanks
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bump this again with another thought. When I increased my potassium intake and watched it via MFP, at first I found I was taking a ton of supplements (potassium pills) to hit the quota -- like 25. That sucked. So, I did some research and adjusted my diet. In order to get enough potassium in your diet, you've got to eat a lot of healthy things. I think this is one of those nutrients worth watching, just because of the other benefits you're going to get from the added fiber and vitamins from eating foods high in potassium. (V8 Low Sodium and Knudsen Very Veggie - Low Sodium are a couple of my favorites for a quick hit of potassium).
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Finally! I wish everyone would harp on potassium intake more. I watch my potassium, not my sodium. I know that I don't eat alot of pre-packaged stuff, so the sodium I get is in the salt I add and where it just kinda... happens. However, I try to get as much potassium as possible. On certain days, I have a 'potassium day'... bananas, spinach, romaine, carrots, melons, sweet potato, regular potato, beets, etc etc.

Something to consider that alot of people don't realize. Just because potassium isn't listed on a nutritional label, doesn't mean its not there. Some labels have it, others don't. It 'happens' just like sodium does. But if you want alot of potassium, you have to be focused about it or eat like the healthiest rabbit you can be. :wink:

5 star post!