Negative motivation.

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Today as I was doing lunges, something that is still really hard for me, I found my self regressing to an old habit. As soon as my mind said it, I quickly corrected myself. :noway:

What did I do? I was motivating myself with negative thoughts.:angry:

"Come on you fatty, push through...if you weren't so fat, you could do this...get your blubber @$$ moving...etc":grumble:

You get the picture.

I really think this is so self destructive but I used to do this ALL the time with food and exercise.

I would look at a dessert and instead of encouraging myself to make a healthier choice, I would tell myself something like, "Fatty's are not allowed to eat things like that!"

I think the dangerous part of that this supported the myth that when I was skinny, I could eat it! Which, now that I am in maintenance, I find I have even more reasons NOT to eat it!

The other dangerous thing is that as I started losing the weight it took a long time before I saw myself as others saw me. I still struggle with this. "With legs like that you really shouldn't wear shorts"

Anyway...the point is...if you are motivating yourself with negative self bashing thoughts...consider turning them into positive motivations instead.

Here is a list to get you started! Enjoy! Put sticky notes by your computer, mirror, and fridge. Love yourself a little bit more today!:smooched:

This cupcake would taste great but seeing the scales move south will taste better. :wink:
I am going to exercise today to keep my heart, mind, and bones healthy. :glasses:

God gave me a healthy body and in gratitude, I am going to take good care of it.:heart:

I am living a long and healthy Life.:happy:

I eat healthy and nutritious food every day.:drinker:

During my work-out , I feel healthier and healthier by the minute! :glasses:

I enjoy working up a sweat! :bigsmile:

I am getting closer to my ideal weight. :blushing: :happy:

At this meal, I will only eat food that takes me to my goal.:drinker:

I'm going to feel awesome after I exercise! :love:

I'm getting leaner every day.:blushing:

I will do whatever it takes:smokin:

I love healthy food:drinker:

I love working out so much I will take the time necessary to do it.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    ooh - I do that a lot still - it works for me and I haven't changed it as much as I can, but I'm working on it too!!! Thanks for the post!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Love this! It is so positive and uplifting. :happy:
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    Thankyou for this, great post
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    this is great Donna. thanks for posting!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Very motivating! Thankyou!!!
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post...I find that I easily get discouraged, ready to give up and say what the heck. Will put these on sticky notes around the house to keep me on the right track.
  • aj11016
    aj11016 Posts: 65
    Options
    I do that all of the time. the worst for me is during weigh in. So today, I took a sharpie marker to my scale and wrote in BIG letters "you are worth more then this number" just a little reminder to myself that the number I see is not only who I am... Good luck everyone :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! There are some people on MFP that I wish would read this!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I do that all of the time. the worst for me is during weigh in. So today, I took a sharpie marker to my scale and wrote in BIG letters "you are worth more then this number" just a little reminder to myself that the number I see is not only who I am... Good luck everyone :)

Great idea!!!
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options

Awesome idea!!!!
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    this is just the kind of post that I needed to read today! Thank you. I am guilty as charged