How much weight is too much to lose in one week

This is just something I'm pondering

Tasha

Replies

• This is just something I'm pondering

Tasha
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    The first week I started I lost 10lbs, the second I lost 7. From there it tapered down to about 2-3 a week, which is where I am now.

I think at first it can go fast, just because it's such a change (and most of it is water anyway).
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    It depends on how overweight you are... truly. When I started this journey, by eating right and exercising I could easily lose 6-7 lbs in a week! Now, I struggle to lose even a pound in a week... If you have a lot of excess fat your body will give it up more easily than if you have a healthy body fat percentage.
  • It really depends on a lot of things...

Most people say no more than 2lbs a week. Which is what people should be sticking to... that is a healthy rate.

But fluid fluctuations can make that number higher. Plus, at the beginning, pounds tend to come off quicker. It also depends on how much weight the person is trying to lose. Men lose faster, too.
  • I definitely agree with the responses. The heavier you are, the faster it comes off in the beginning, then it slows down the 2nd or 3rd week. I lost 9 my first, 4 my 2nd, and like a lb a week since then.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    yes I know that for many who began at a very obese state, their losses started out at 5-10 lbs a week. That's ok as long as you are eating to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Don't undereat. I started out at moderately obese and I still lost just 2 lbs after 2 weeks of trying. Everyone is different.:flowerforyou:
  • Thanks everyone for your responces, I am overweight and I guess that's why. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing weight to fast.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responces, I am overweight and I guess that's why. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing weight to fast.

I wouldn't worry about losing weight to fast AS LONG AS you are eating right, not skipping calories, eating all your exercise calories, not taking "diet pills." If you are doing it the "healthy way" then you'll be fine.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    YOu could drop up to 15 pounds or more fast just from "water" weight. My first month, I lost like 6 pounds a week average.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!