elliptical trainer vs running outside.

Options
could you use the elliptical trainer as running?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I do both daily, and burn far more calories, per the BodyBugg, running than I do on the elliptical.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Much harder to push your body weight to run outside than to move it on th elliptical. The elliptical is a great way to start, but if you want to be a runner, you need to get outside, even the treadmill doesn't compare.
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take the place of running but is a very good workout. I alternate between running on my treadmill and using my elliptical. If I set the resistance/stride high enough on the elliptical, I am feeling it the next day....all day!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    It seems to me that your level of exertion is much higher when running than on the elliptical trainer, leading me to believe the calorie burn is also more efficient when running. Who knows though? A lot of people burn a hell of a lot of calories on the ellpitical. Good luck and keep on keepin' on...................
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Definitely better to run. The elliptical takes the inertia of your movement and forces that next step to come around. While its a great exercise running outside that's all you! Didn't think I'd like to run but I'm loving it. You've probably already hear this but the C25K (Couch to 5K ) Program is great. I use an app that tells me when to run and when to power walk. I'm really digging it. No more watching the clock. Just a little ring and voila time to switch!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is running, elliptical is elliptical. Elliptical is much easier than running (no impact). The elliptical is a great way to cross train for running.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Running is running, elliptical is elliptical. Elliptical is much easier than running (no impact). The elliptical is a great way to cross train for running.

Basically, that.

I liked doing the elliptical when I cross-trained with running, because it works different muscles, and it nicer on my bad knee. Otherwise, you can't compare the two, since they will give you two very different workouts.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    They don't really work the same muscles. I'm going to start training for a half-marathon in a few months, and I'm treating myself to an elliptical for cross-training.