No support :(

Options
I'm having a bad day! I just completed my exercise and arrived home. My boyfriend surprised me and told me he's making a roast chicken dinner (he's a chef) I asked him would he cook the potatoes a certain way to reduce calories and fat and he said there's no point because this is just a phase and I won't stick to it!
(I'm only at it two weeks)

He's been really supportive and encouraging up til now and earlier I told him I want to go for another walk later on to wretch my legs after my run/walk earlier and he asked me why was I bothering?

How do I deal with this. He's really upset me that he has no faith in me 

Replies

• ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thats terrible! I would be so upset if my husband was that unsupportive. You have to prove him wrong! Dig in and kick *kitten* and show him that you are not just having a phase.
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    no offense but he sounds like a straight up *kitten*.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    he asked you why you were bothering?!

id say "so i can be more beautiful than i am now for a man who will see that and support me in my near future...dumbass! "

and walk out and go for your walk - and id be so pissy about it id walk further and let him think about his assness .. grrr
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy for 3 years that actually preferred larger women... the bigger I got, the more he loved it and the more I hated myself. Maybe he just likes your curves? Trying to think on the positive side :) I won't tell you how mine turned out --- just giving you something to consider.
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a challenge ...just show him he is wrong!
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Lose the weight for you and then kick his sorry butt to the curb!! Don't let his words knock you down. He maybe saying that on purpose to get you upset so you do stop. Maybe he's afraid if you lose the weight you will dump him. Give him something to worry about!! You can do this.
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    Let him know that whether he thinks you're going to stick with it or not really isn't something he should void. He should try to support you so you CAN stick with it, because that type of negative attitude will definitely make it so you don't stick. He should want a healthier, happier you!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Do you have faith in you?
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your boyfriend doesn't support you. You deserve better! Could you have a talk with him and explain how hurtful his comments are?

I think the best you can do is keep your eyes on your goal, and keep going. Go to a friend and MFP for support. You can do this. Read all the success stories here, and know that you will be one of them in the future.

Good luck!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    One of my friends at college used to diet on and off unsuccessfully, so one time when she did it, and we were supporting her for a couple of weeks, then when she was about to hit the point where she usually quits I turned around and claimed that she'd quitt soon, it was only a matter of time. Suddenly she lost all my support, or so she thought. Anyway, she got a new determination to proove me wrong and she kept at it, won my support back, but every so often I'd take it away again and she'd plough forwards with a new determination...

Could he be doing something similar?
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Wow...sorry to hear that. If he continues his non-supportive ways you may want to reconsider the relationship. Until then, just show him - eat what is healthy and don't touch the potatoes!
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try to ignore him. You could always do as you said and go for a walk to help with the extra calories from the potatoes. Or just don't eat them. If he is offended...OH well! It's your body and it's your life. You have to do what is right for you. Stay focused on your goals and you WILL succeed...with or without his help.
  • norcalrv
    norcalrv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, that would not fly with me. Maybe you need to reconsider your situation.
  • debrabuchanan
    Options
    He is a chef? Maybe he is afraid of your success! You do not have to eat what does not fit your diet. If he sees you stick to your guns on this, he might eventually come around. Ask him to join you on your quest. If not, you can do this without him. I did without my husband. So glad I did!
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel better already! He's not an *kitten* but he has his moments! He's overweight too and isn't doing anything about it! I hope it's not a jealousy issue!
    I'm not going to sit on the couch with him anymore and stuff my face! I've had enough of being stuck in this body!!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. My husband has seen me try and fail so many times over the last 10 years that he just gave up on believing I will ever do anything about my weight. I feel really good about it this time, and the other day (Ive been on MFP for 10 days) I asked him if he thought that I would really do it this time. Wrong thing to ask. His response was "Last time I told you what I thought you got mad at me." So clearly he doesn't think I will do it. Not that he really has any reason to think that this time will be any different, but it would be nice to have support from the person who is supposed to be my best friend and support system. He frustrates me all around! He wants me to eat better, but he buys our groceries and he only buys a couple cans of vegetables for 2 weeks and everything else is the junk that we usually eat. He wants me to eat the same thing he eats, just less of it. I try to tell him that if I really want to make a lifestyle change, i have to start eating better food, not just less. But he says it is too expensive to eat healthy and then the conversation is over. I hate it. So point being, I feel your pain!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do this for yourself and when you need support--look here. If he can't be your man and support you, find friends who will!

And when he refuses to cook what you can eat, break out a frozen 350 cal frozen dinner and eat it instead of what he "slaved over". Ha!! Show him that this matters to you and if you matter to him, he had better pay attention!

Good luck!!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It depends on how your relationship is with him - if it's strained and not going anywhere, then get shot as you need positive people around you. However, if you relationship is usually good and it's a long term thing, I suggest you simply smile at him, say you understand that he loves you the way you are but this is something you want to do for you. I am sure he will change his attitude when he see's you are sticking at it and becoming happier in yourself
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I also want to add, that if he's a chef....imagine how wonderful it would be to have one place in town that cooked on the light side and had good food????? I'd eat there all the time, but sadly I don't live any where near that! Pretty much just mexican places around here or fast food.

This could be his culinary future! At the very least it would be good for your future, maybe present it to him as a challenge to make gourmet food, that is healthy!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That is never easy - I'm so sorry.

It could be jealousy...or it could be that he's a chef, don't tell him how to cook! You say he's not normally an *kitten* and has been supportive up to this point, so maybe give the guy a break, shrug it off and do you!! Go for that walk! If he doesn't make the potatoes the way you asked for, don't eat them. Not only does that show that you are committed, it's kinda a slap in the face to him too (hey, he can have his moments of being an *kitten*, so you can have your moments of being a B).

5lbs down already - you are awesome. And the fact that you came on here for some encouragement instead of binging on crap after that comment just shows your dedication. Great job!